February 2012 Moms

Formula or Milk?

Is anyone else still doing formula?

We give DS an organic soy toddler formula because he sprays WCM, soy milk and almond milk, at any temperature and from any vessel (cup, bottle, straw cup, open cup - that was a giant mess). 

I thought that this was probably a big cost issue, but one $10 tin makes 84 ounces....considering two half gallons (128 ozs) of organic milk are about $10 (one for here, one for DC) I think the cost isn't such a big deal.

The ped said it just has more calories than whole milk, and to keep offering milk from time to time to see if he will take it. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Formula or Milk?

• We are doing formula only until our current tub is gone...maybe a few more days, a week tops.  Then it is water or milk.  Allison doesn't really like milk right now but we keep offering it.

I did ask my ped about the toddler formula, she said it is basically a marketing thing and doesn't really fill any nutritional needs that solid foods don't take care of.

FWIW, we don't buy organic milk - can't justify the cost!

Lilypie - (JrNi)

Lilypie - (y35Q)

• Audra just switched to 100% milk last week. She could have switched weeks ago but I couldn't justify throwing the left over formula away. We use regular whole milk, not organic.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers 

BFP #1 6-8-11 EDD 2-19-12. DD born 2-3-12 via induction due to pre-e.
    BFP #2 9-7-13 EDD 5-22-14. It's a GIRL! DD#2 is on her way.
  • Loading the player...
  • We are using formula still but only because our ped was concerned about her weight gain.  She only gained a little over a pound between her 9 month and 12 month appointments.  We went yesterday for an ear infection and she has gained almost 2 lbs in a month so she said we could switch to WCM if we wanted too.  We have been giving both with formula only in the morning and at night.  We will finish the formula we have and go to WCM and water after that.
  • imageMrMrsandBaby:

I did ask my ped about the toddler formula, she said it is basically a marketing thing and doesn't really fill any nutritional needs that solid foods don't take care of.

This is a weird one - it's the formula DS has had to supplement EBM.  It's nutritionally the same as infant formula, but is labelled as a toddler formula due to some regulatory hurdle.  The brand is Baby's Only.  I have tried mixing it 5 ounces formula to one ounce WCM and he spits it everywhere.  My girls were not weird like this!

• We switched to Milk right after his one year check up. We did one mix bottle then tried full milk and he liked it.  Now to convince him that the milk is not poison when it is in a sippy cup. LOL
    IVF #1 - DS #1 Born 2/5/12 IVF #2 - Egg Retrieval 2/14, Embryo Transfer 2/17, BFP 2/28/13 Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I literally just made Aria's first "transition" bottle. It's 6oz of formula and 2oz of WCM. I've been giving milk in her sippy with dinner for a couple of weeks, and she seems to tolerate it well... We'll see how this goes. I'd love for this to be her last tub of formula!

Eta: Aria still gets a bottle at nap time and bedtime. I'm not planning on weaning her from bottles just yet.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    212 Facebook Admin.
  • image2chatter:
    imageMrMrsandBaby:

This is a weird one - it's the formula DS has had to supplement EBM.  It's nutritionally the same as infant formula, but is labelled as a toddler formula due to some regulatory hurdle.  The brand is Baby's Only.  I have tried mixing it 5 ounces formula to one ounce WCM and he spits it everywhere.  My girls were not weird like this!

Enfamil is different formulas for infant and toddler.  They are not the same thing and don't have the same "benefits" so it seems like a waste of money to me.  Here is the first link I found (looking quickly) https://www.kidsdr.com/daily-dose/transitioning-to-whole-milk-or-toddlers-formula

Lilypie - (JrNi)

Lilypie - (y35Q)

• I would not buy a toddler formula, I totally agree that is hype.  In my case, DS refuses anything other than the soy formula he has had since I started supplementing 1 bottle a week around what, 8, 9 months?  I have not tried juice and don't really plan to do so.  He will drink water if he is way thirsty, but only a sip or two.  It is just so strange to me that he will not drink milk or other normal dairy substitutes.  He might be the odd man out in this!
  • Coconut milk here!

Lauren vomited after cows milk and yogurt so we think its. Dairy issue. She's fine on coconut milk and the pedi says as long as its fortified its fine.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"