Cloth Diapering
Options

NCDR: Need Sewing Machine Help

Ok all you sewing gurus, I need help.  As I've posted on the DIYs before, I have a nice (I think) sewing machine sitting in my basement that was passed down to me a few years back.  I learned to sew a little back when I was a pre-teen, but I haven't touched a machine since.  And we'll just say I'm well past my 20s! =)

Today I decided that I really should at least figure out how to turn the darn thing on and thread it.  It's a Signature (Sears brand??) that is connected to a cute little sewing table.  Anyways, after I figured out how to thread it and got the light/motor cords arranged, I plugged it in & it started sewing like crazy.  Like if you stepped as hard on the foot pedal as you could.  Me pushing on/holding down the pedal multiple times did nothing.  Is there an on/off switch I need to flip, or is there something wrong in the motor that is making it not respond to the pedal?

Help!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image imageimageimage

Re: NCDR: Need Sewing Machine Help

• Options
    My guess is that there's a wire loose somewhere. There usuaally is an on/off switch, but I'm assuming since it started sewing when you plugged it in, that the switch is "on". My other assumption would be that the loose wire is in the pedal, not your motor, just because that's so much more common. If it's been sitting around for a few years and you plan to use it at all, I'd recommend taking it in for a tune-up - they should be able to trouble shoot the pedal issue for you, too. Depending on your area, I should think you could get it done for $50-75.
    Brenda IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options

My machine has a feature where you can use it without the pedal. You press a button and it starts sewing until you press the button again for it to stop. I haven't seen this feature on older machines, but I've also never seen a Signature machine before. My guess is that brevans is right and there's a wiring issue. Getting it serviced would be a great idea. Getting it cleaned and oiled will save you some headaches in the long run. And if it were mine, I would see if you can still find any accessories for it (bobbins, zipper foot, etc).

PS How far out of your chair did you jump when the machine decided to go Wheeeeeee all on its own?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestions ladies. I think I will take it in to have it serviced. Even if it turns out there is an "on/off" switch that's pushed on it will be nice to have the piece of mind to know that it's working properly! I did jump pretty far when I first plugged it in. I'm so glad I didn't have my finger or any material near the foot when it started up!

image imageimageimage

• Options
    This suddenly reminded me of the time my dad jump-started his tractor while it was still in gear. Runaway tractor!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"