Working Moms

I think my boss wants me to quit....

I just started a new job a little over a month ago, I was not showing at all when I had my interview and I told my boss right away that I was having a baby this summer (due end of june) as soon as I was offered a job. I should have known when he said "well, we aren't going to withdrawal the offer" instead of something else or nothing at all, but the last week or so, I think he is trying everything in his power to make me want to quit. He is obviously knows he can't just fire me for being pregnant. This is a new location for our company (I work at a print shop as the only graphic designer at our location) so everything is still very new. my boss is a younger man and has expressed multiple times that he does not want kids (he is married, but I think the real marriage is to his job). Today was very stressful (only because of him, not my actual work) and called my DH on the way home crying! any advise would be great!

Re: I think my boss wants me to quit....

• what is he doing to make things so stressful?  and what specifically makes you think he wants to get you to quit?

I have worked with plenty of people who made me stressed only b/c they themselves would be all a mess over the project/deadline/whatever.  but that's just dealing with a different personality.

• I don't think his response to your announcement of your pregnancy was necessarily a bad one, just perhaps a reaction from someone who doesn't want kids and is focused on his professional life.

Why do you think he wants you to quit? 

• Loading the player...
  • I don't see anything there that's blatantly him trying to make you quit.  He's entitled to the opinion that he personally doesn't want children, I wouldn't take it as an insult to you and your kid.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I can understand your boss's disappointment. He should have kept his mouth shut when heard you were pregnant and just said congrats.

I hired someone right before xmas and on her second day at work she announced she is pregnant. Her position was vacant for a month until it got filled,and it was hard for the team having that position vacant. I am pregnant myself and I love kids and happy for anyone who wants to have them, but in the world of business pregnant women come with a lot of bagagge. As a new employee you have to prove that you are not using your pregnancy as an excuse, and have to work twice as hard to prove yourself, you go thru proving yourself at begining as a new employee, so you literally have to go above and beyond. My employee has been working out great, she is a stellar employee so far, but in the back of my mind, I keep thinking what if she doesn't want to come back to work? I have to go thru the hiring and training process all over again? She is not eligible to take a lot of time off yet, so I don't know how is she going to come back to work so soon, so I feel sorry for her in that aspect but job needs to get done, too!   I also don't want to play favoritism and be more lenient with her than others just because she is pregnant. So give your boss some credit and don't assume becuase working for him is stressful, it's because you are pregnant and he wants you to quit. That maybe just how he is.

• It all depends on how he said it.  Maybe him saying we aren't going to withdraw the offer was meant as just that, so you wouldn't have to worry about that happening. Men don't usually react like women when they find out someone is pregnant, especially men who are very young or don't want kids.  I wouldn't take it too personally.

I don't really see anything in your post that makes me think he is trying to get you to quit.  At worst, he sounds immature and annoying. 

• I agree with PP's that I don't see anything in what you stated that makes it seems as though your boss wants you to quit.  Perhaps since you are working in a new location and are the only one in your role he is nervous about what will happen when you have the baby.  Did you talk about what kind of maternity leave you will get before you started?  If not, I would definitely have that conversation soon and get something in writing.  Also, I would keep reassuring him that you look plan on coming back after your maternity leave.  Maybe a lot of the stress he feels, and therefore puts on to you, has to do with how your leave will work.  Putting him at ease that you will do all you can do to prepare the company for your absense will maybe help releave that stress.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

View Full Size Image

• Unfortunately, you two started off on the wrong foot because he probably is a little mad that you're pregnant and he might think (even though he's wrong) that you were dishonest. even though we don't want the world to be this way and it isn't fair, that's probably his personal opinion.

I think what you should do is talk to him. Depending on how long you've been there, set a meeting with him and ask for feedback on your work. As him what areas he'd like you to focus. Show him what a great graphic designer you are and focus on the work portion - not the pregnancy. I think that might help turn this around and him to gain more respect of you.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • there is much more to this story than I put in my posting. I am just hoping he has been having a hard few weeks and is also getting used to his new role as well since opening a new location. I will see how the next few days/weeks go and just really work extra hard! (I have been, but maybe its still not enough!). 
  • Honestly, he's probably put off by the fact that you waited to tell him you were pregnant until after you had the job.  I could understand being frustrated by that because he's trying to staff a position and now he's just hired someone who is only going to be there for 6 months or whatever and then be out on maternity leave for 6 to 12 weeks.  So it's like a strike against you right off the bat, in his mind.  At this point all you can do is work hard and reassure him that you plan to come back after your maternity leave and offer to help however you can to prepare them for your absence.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"