Working Moms
Options

Reflux baby in daycare

Hi Ladies! My first post here :-)  I'll be starting back to work in a couple months and am already experiencing anxiety about putting my daughter in daycare.  I think especially so since she was diagnosed with reflux.  She has had several choking incidents and is on Prilosec which must be given twice 30-60 minutes prior to eating.  Additionally she currently will NOT nap in her crib, I can barely put her down all day.  I suspect she is clingy since she has been o uncomfortable due to the reflux.  

I keep thinking it will get better by the time I start back to work.  I'm fortunate to be able to stay home with her until she is 6 months old, yet I'm already overwhelmed with anxiety thinking she will be in the crib unattended and start choking.  

I realize reflux is common so I keep thinking the teachers must know how to handle a baby with reflux.  And I'm sure she won't be the first baby to not nap in a crib as she can't be layed flat.

Anyone had a similar situation with their LO? Any words of encouragement for this overwhelmed new Momma :-)?  Thanks 

Re: Reflux baby in daycare

• Options

My DS had reflux too and DC did great with him.  The infant teachers were all very familiar with reflux.  They fed him slowly, burped him often, and put him semi-upright in an infant seat after he ate, where he usually fell asleep.  (Think like a bouncy seat, but it didn't bounce or have toys overhead.)  It worked out great and he outgrew it around 10 months or so.

Is she going to a center?  They will have an infant care sheet for you to fill out. Mine had a place for special instructions and instructions for naps.  Be sure to put your wishes on paper.  It might even be good to have a doctor's note stating that she needs to nap upright after eating.  My doctor said she would provide one if needed, but it wasn't necessary at my DC.  They always did a great job with him and we never had any issues. 

Good luck mama!  It gets better over time.  You learn a new "normal" and it's fun to see them thrive with other caregivers too.  DS has learned so much at DC. 

• Options
    imageDaisyBlinks:

I'm a daycare teacher in an infant room and I'll be completely honest with you. We have two babies right now with verysevere reflux issues and it is very challenging for us. Although we are told that both have reflux, their plans for managing it are very different. It took us a long time to adjust to figuring out specifically what makes each baby happy. There was probably about a week with one of them where she was so uncomfortable, we had to call her mom several times to figure out different methods to help her. She's the needier of the two, and often needs to be held constantly, which just doesn't happen in group care. Sometimes, she needs to sit in a bouncy chair, in pain, screaming because if she doesn't, someone else is not going to get fed.  Her mom is aware of this and we're working on it together. 

BUT we've had her for about a month now and we are finally really starting to figure out exactly what she needs. She's now happy 99% of the time. Additionally, we've all grown to really favor her because we feel like we've been through so much with her.

So basically, it could be rough at first. Teachers may have experience with reflux, but each child is different, and it's just going to be an adjustment (which it would be even if she didn't have an issue). Hopefully you trust that her teachers are going to do the very best that they can. She's not going to get the same amount or kind of attention that she would with you, or if she were being cared for by a nanny in a one-on-one situations. But I'm sure the DCPs will do their very best to make her as happy and comfortable as possible while she is in their care.  

That would be absolutely unacceptable to me. There has to be a director or someone that could come in and help in that situation. Our LO is starting daycare Monday and also has reflux. I'll be making it very clear that she needs to be upright for 30 minutes after eating. She can however lay flat after that. Her's is more of a spitting up/choking issue than a pain issure fortunately. I feel that no child should be left to cry in pain for any reason other than an immediate safety issue.

~*Jenna*~

TTC since November 2009.

Currently licensed foster parents with the hope of adopting!  Also pursuing pregnancy through IUI!  First IUI scheduled 10/3/13

Currently loving our placements:

A 1/08

C 4/11

K 6/12

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    When DS was an infant he had really bad reflux. Daycare did a great job administering meds and following his very specific feeding instructions. I also got a doctor's note from his pediatrician stating that he needed to sleep upright in a bouncy seat for naps since he also had choking incidents and refused to sleep flat. State regs do not allow this without a note from the doctor. He was always very well taken care of, even if he went through five outfits a day there because of all the vomit!

image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"