Food Allergy
Options

New to this and scared

My 10 month old was just diagnosed with a sesame and peanut allergy. I gave her hummus and she had a bad reaction to it. We later learned sesame is a top allergen. I just have all these questions running thru my mind about how this changes our lifestyle. Will we be able to eat out, travel, can she do sleepovers or field trips when she gets older. I'm already a very paranoid person/helicopter type mom, I'm trying to figure out how to move on from this and keep our lives as normal as possible. Plus how do you explain to a child when they're older like three, if you eat this it could kill you??? Also do you keep this food in your house, my son loves hummus but I threw all our hummus out. Any help, advice or answers to my question would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! 

Re: New to this and scared

• Options
    Check out the website called Kids with Food Allergies and go to the forums section. You will find tons of help and advice there! Good luck!
    M/C #1 - BFP-1/16/08 Dx Blighted Ovum-2/4/08 D&C-2/8/08 @ 7 weeks M/C #2 - BFP-3/31/08 Early M/C-4/10/08 @ 5 weeks M/C #3 - BFP-6/31/08 Early M/C-7/13/08 @ 5.5 weeks Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

My daughter also has a sesame seed allergy--we found out by giving her hummus as well. 

However, I already think she is starting to outgrow it. She had hummus over the summer--and broke out in hives. We finally were able to get her tested the last two weeks and her skin test was inconclusive--her bloodwork was .94; and unknowing to us the bread she was eating for the last couple of weeks had sesame seeds in it.

The hard thing about sesame seeds--at least in the US, is it doesn't have to be labeled on the packaging. It can be listed as "spice"--which means, I am sticking to brands she already HAS been eating--without a reaction. Also sesame oil is in lots of cosmetics.

She also has a peanut allergy (and egg and almond)--but because of the awareness of peanut allergies--I feel that many more people are aware of it. However, since my daughter never actually had peanuts (just skin reaction-I do not know how severe it is)

We go out to eat a lot--and we bring her. Many times she is able to order off the menu, just may not always be the healthiest option (hot dog minus the bun for example). But many times pizza is fine, quesadillas are fine, mac & cheese. We do stick to restaurants that we frequent with her. Also when we go out to eat, we always OVER bring on snacks etc--just in case there really isn't anything. (cereal, bagels, etc)  

My daughter LOVES hummus-here is a sesame free one:

https://allrecipes.com/recipe/extra-easy-hummus/ 

My daughter is my hero.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It does change your life a lot and it's ok to be upset about it.  It's a big burden for everyone involved.  But, it gets so much easier and since you found out while she's so young she won't really know what she is missing.  My 3 year old has tons of allergies and he doesn't even ask to eat anything other than his safe foods.  His nutrionist told me it's important to be matter of fact about it with them from a very young age.  I say 'you can't have that or you will get sick'.  I'm amazed how mature he is about it at only 3 years old. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We found out at 4 mos that my son as allergic to milk & soy and was put on prescription formula, Neocate. At 1 yr old, he tested positive for milk, soy, oat, tree nuts, peanuts, and coconut. His soy was low so, we did a soy challenge test which is where he gets a little bit every 15 mins or so and watch for a reaction. He reacted after about an hr. He can have some soy, but low amounts and only certain types like soy lecthin. At 2 yrs old, (he's now 28 mos), he tested positive for milk, soy, oat, tree nuts, peanuts, coconut & now mustard. I was hoping the soy would be gone but nope, we got another one.

When we go out, I always ask for the allergy menus which some places do like Chili's and Applebees. When he was younger, I used to bring foods with us. I still bring some foods to peoples homes when we go for dinner, just in case. If I'm not 100% sure about something then he won't have it. 

I actually got an IPhone bc of the apps. I use Allergen Menu, AllergyPal, iEatOut, UPC Scanner, KFA Forums, iCanEat, and AllergyEats. They are all great apps. Plus, if you are on Facebook, there are great pages for support, like Kids with Food Allergies.

• Options

it will get easier and then hard and then easy..  There maybe peanut free / allergy groups near you that you can connect with. I have one via yahoo groups.  Join the FAAN walk this year. Start visiting websites.

My son is allergic to milk/soy/eggs/peanuts/tree nuts and was allergic to sessame but grew out of it (yay!). 

With sesame, You have to be careful with lipstic - which sometimes has sesame.  So i would just make a rull of only hugs and no kisses -especially on the lips!  we allow no face kisses what so ever.   When it comes to hummus, you can make your own -it's SUPER EASY!  or buy tahini free hummus.. i know trader joes has them.

The biggest pain in the butt with a sesame allergy is bread. There was alwasy a cross contamination to sessame seeds.  I had to make my own bread.. i love making bread now but it was painful at first.

Visit health food store (without your kid/s) and spend a lot of time just going through isles and looking at labels.  ALWAYS READ LABELS.. things change and ingredients change.

We made our house safe for my son.. so no milk/soy/eggs/nuts anywhere in the house. Not even Cross contamination.  I learned how to cook which is sometimes hard b/c i work full time but it's doable.  I make meals for everyone in my house and it's always free of our allergens.. but that took a long time and many tears.

Also, peanut is a very common allergy and many places are already peanut free. 

good luck.. i can go on forever but just take it one step at a time.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"