Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Almost 20 month old giving up naps?

For the past couple of weeks my almost 20 month old has been resisting his afternoon nap.  Up until now he would usually take a daily nap ranging anywhere from 1-3 hours.  He has been sleeping well at night consistently around 9-10 hours.  Is this the normal time for toddlers to drop their nap?  I'm not really ready for that!  Any other moms out there experience this?
image DS 7.6.2011 TTC#2

Re: Almost 20 month old giving up naps?

• Options
    I think that was around the time my daughter moved her nap later.  I thought she was trying to give up her nap, but I just kept her in bed in a dark room, and she would eventually (after two hours) fall asleep.  Once I moved her naptime back an hour and a half, things worked better again.  (That means her nap is now 2:30-4:00pm.  But she still goes to bed at the same time.  I don't know why it works for her to be awake for 7.5hrs the first part of the day, but only 4.5hrs the second, but it does.)
    IMG_8355
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    OMG I could have written your post.  We're really struggling with this as his naps and nighttime sleep have both been affected.   Our LO didn't start STTN until just before Christmas and DH and I were finally getting some good sleep.  I feel like we've taken a big step backwards.  I'm hoping it is a phase or related to his 2yr molars and that he'll be back to normal soon.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageTiffanyBerry:
    I think that was around the time my daughter moved her nap later.nbsp; I thought she was trying to give up her nap, but I just kept her in bed in a dark room, and she would eventually after two hours fall asleep.nbsp; Once I moved her naptime back an hour and a half, things worked better again.nbsp; That means her nap is now 2:304:00pm.nbsp; But she still goes to bed at the same time.nbsp; I don't know why it works for her to be awake for 7.5hrs the first part of the day, but only 4.5hrs the second, but it does.

Glad this has worked for you! We tried pushing it back but then if he finally does get to sleep he wakes up super late and can't get to bed.
    image DS 7.6.2011 TTC#2
  • Options
    imageLalaMama81:
    It's a phase, don't give up. Most kids will nap until closer to 3 years or even later.

Thanks for the advice! We will keep trying....I really love my free time during his naps. Call me selfish haha but it's the truth
    image DS 7.6.2011 TTC#2
  • Options
    imagegenekelly:
    OMG I could have written your post.nbsp; We're really struggling with this as his naps and nighttime sleep have both been affected.nbsp;nbsp; Our LO didn't start STTN until just before Christmas and DH and I were finally getting some good sleep.nbsp; I feel like we've taken a big step backwards.nbsp; I'm hoping it is a phase or related to his 2yr molars and that he'll be back to normal soon.

I'm hoping this will get back to normal too. Sorry you're going through it. when it affects your sleep too its a tital bummer!! I feel like part of it is he just loves exploring the world he's too busy to nap. I'll maybe try some "relaxing" activities prior to nap time to get him more wound down...I'm not even sure if my DS had his molars popping through yet. I'll def. check. GL!! Hope it doesn't last long
    image DS 7.6.2011 TTC#2
  • Options
    DS is 22 months and we're dealing with this now and wondering the same thing. We haven't tried consistently pushing his naps later but we're planning to try that this weekend. Hopefully it works! I also wonder if it's just his temperament - he's never been a huge sleeper and is extremely busy/curious. I wonder if he's just "over" taking naps. Hopefully not!
    natural m/c 7.1.10 :|: sticky baby 4.25.11 :|: #2 due 5.18.13 BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageCwhitaker27:
    imageTiffanyBerry:
    I think that was around the time my daughter moved her nap later.nbsp; I thought she was trying to give up her nap, but I just kept her in bed in a dark room, and she would eventually after two hours fall asleep.nbsp; Once I moved her naptime back an hour and a half, things worked better again.nbsp; That means her nap is now 2:304:00pm.nbsp; But she still goes to bed at the same time.nbsp; I don't know why it works for her to be awake for 7.5hrs the first part of the day, but only 4.5hrs the second, but it does.
    Glad this has worked for you! We tried pushing it back but then if he finally does get to sleep he wakes up super late and can't get to bed.

She still takes at least an hour to get to sleep once we get into bed.  But she's always taken a long time to go to sleep, so this is nothing new.

IMG_8355
  • Options
    DD doesn't nap most days at daycare anymore. But she sleeps 12 hours at night. 9-10 hours of sleep isn't enough (12 is hardly enough) at this age.

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

• Options
    DD (who is about ready to turn 19 months) had been in the process of giving up her afternoon nap for a couple of months. She is definitly done with the afternoon for the most part. Every time I think she's soooo tired and will definitly take one, she never does. If I drive home in the evening (20min drive), she sometimes goes to sleep, though...especially if it's closer to 6pm (her bedtime is between 730- and 8). She still hasn't started sleeping later in the morning as I had hope would eventually happen (maybe still will). She's pretty much usually ready for her morning nap by 11. I read Dr. Ferber's book and he said that they usually will eventually have a later mid-day nap, but that hasn't happened to us yet. Maybe once she starts sleeping longer at night-time (I hope!). P.S. her morning nap is now 1 1/2 hours if we're lucky instead of the 2+ hours she used to do!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"