Breastfeeding

DD prefers one side over the other...problem?

This is the first baby I've been able to breastfeed, so I'm like a FTM at all of this! 

DD (9 days old) is a great eater but for the last few days she's really not liked my right side. Especially if I offer it first as recommended by my LC (starting on the side she finished on last time). She gets this grimace on her face and  comes off and shakes her head like she's looking for something else. She takes the left side great if offered first and usually will finish on the right side with little to no problems. I don't want her to get a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance or anything so is there anything I can do for this? Is this something I should worry about at all?

Thanks ladies!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Joe and Ashley ~ June 16, 2007 ~ Olivia Rae ~ May 12, 2008 ~ 9:06 pm ~ 8lbs 4oz ~ 20.5 inches ~ Miscarriage of twins ~ April 16, 2009 at 6 weeks. ~ Surprise BFP 6/23/09 13DPO ~ Eleanor Rose ~ February 18, 2010 ~ 6lbs 15oz ~ 20 inches ~ Caroline Ruth ~ February 19, 2013 ~ 6lbs 12 oz ~ 19 1/4 inches

Our family is complete!

Re: DD prefers one side over the other...problem?

• Have you tried different positions? My DD seemed to not like my right side either at first, and I realized that it was because she didn't like turning her head that way. So for a couple days, I used the football hold on my right side so that she turned her head the same way as when on the left side. She got over it pretty quickly and now nurses easily on either side. It's not really a problem if she prefers one side over the other, though. Your body will adjust. 

PCOS with long, irregular cycles
    First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 
    BFP #2 in January 2014, DS born September 2014

View Full Size Image     View Full Size Image   

• It could be a number of things. She might have a bit of pain in her neck or somewhere that makes latching on that side less comfortable. You could try a different position (say, football rather than cradle) and see if that helps. You might have more milk on the left than the right, which isn't a problem but will get more pronounced if you feed more on the left. I would just keep trying the right first, but never deny her the left if it's just not working out.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks, ladies! I've been using football hold - c/s baby - so I'll try another one. We'll just keep on keepin' on...the reassurance is what I needed. :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Joe and Ashley ~ June 16, 2007 ~ Olivia Rae ~ May 12, 2008 ~ 9:06 pm ~ 8lbs 4oz ~ 20.5 inches ~ Miscarriage of twins ~ April 16, 2009 at 6 weeks. ~ Surprise BFP 6/23/09 13DPO ~ Eleanor Rose ~ February 18, 2010 ~ 6lbs 15oz ~ 20 inches ~ Caroline Ruth ~ February 19, 2013 ~ 6lbs 12 oz ~ 19 1/4 inches

Our family is complete!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"