Parenting

iPhone question

I don't currently have a smart phone, but both my phone & DHs have been eligible for upgrades since May.  I'm w/ Verizon and if I agree to a 2-year contract, I can get two iPhone 4s for free under a "share everything" plan that would include 2g of data per month and it would be roughly $40 more per month that I currently pay for two "dumb" phones.

Is it worth it?  I want to jump on it pretty soon because DH's phone is crapping out.

Is 2g good?  I honestly don't even really know what that means, frankly.

Is there anything else I should be asking Verizon?

Re: iPhone question

• 2GB would probably be okay.  DH and I share 4GB and it has always been enough.  If we were to go over, it would be $15 for every additional 1GB, so it isn't the end of the world.  The everyday FB, Pinterest, and general internetting isn't going to send you over, it's downloading apps and tons of music that could.  Also, if you have wifi in your home, you can use that instead of your cellular data.

GL!  I was nervous about all of this my first time getting a smartphone, but it turned out fine.

• Let me say this... I absolutely positively love my iPhone. Android was complete crap when I had it and I hate how the phones would start off really fast and after a couple weeks they'd draaaaaag and freeze constantly.

The iPhone was worth every penny and I'll never have another phone. I've mine for well over a year. Still in love!

And as far as the data, if you are at home or somewhere with wifi just connect to that and you won't use data from your plan as far as I know.....
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imageFairyDuster003:
    Let me say this... I absolutely positively love my iPhone. Android was complete crap when I had it and I hate how the phones would start off really fast and after a couple weeks they'd draaaaaag and freeze constantly. The iPhone was worth every penny and I'll never have another phone. I've mine for well over a year. Still in love! And as far as the data, if you are at home or somewhere with wifi just connect to that and you won't use data from your plan as far as I know.....

All of this.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers imageimage
  • imageFairyDuster003:
    Let me say this... I absolutely positively love my iPhone. Android was complete crap when I had it and I hate how the phones would start off really fast and after a couple weeks they'd draaaaaag and freeze constantly. The iPhone was worth every penny and I'll never have another phone. I've mine for well over a year. Still in love! And as far as the data, if you are at home or somewhere with wifi just connect to that and you won't use data from your plan as far as I know.....

thanks!  Big Smile

• imageTheBub:

2GB would probably be okay.  DH and I share 4GB and it has always been enough.  If we were to go over, it would be $15 for every additional 1GB, so it isn't the end of the world.  The everyday FB, Pinterest, and general internetting isn't going to send you over, it's downloading apps and tons of music that could.  Also, if you have wifi in your home, you can use that instead of your cellular data.

GL!  I was nervous about all of this my first time getting a smartphone, but it turned out fine.

Thanks, that helps.  So, if I'm understanding eveyrthing correctly: if I already have iTunes and don't necessarily download a ton of music, that would work.  Or, if I'm somewhere w/ wifi already, it wouldn't count towards the 2GB.

Dumb question for anyone.  If I have downloaded an app, it doesn't then use up more data to use that app, does it?  Just the initial download?

What about TV shows? I'm assuming that you are using up data the whole time you are watching?  I ask because I seriously want to watch Downton Abbey once I get my phone.  Wink

• Downloading an app will run your data. Depending on the app it may or may not go towards it. Checking the weather would require Internet. Using a tip calculator for example wouldn't. And make sure you learn now to kill the apps because apps that send notifications like Facebook are constantly streaming data if they're open

Jacob, 1/14/13
  • imageFairyDuster003:
    Let me say this... I absolutely positively love my iPhone. Android was complete crap when I had it and I hate how the phones would start off really fast and after a couple weeks they'd draaaaaag and freeze constantly.

The iPhone was worth every penny and I'll never have another phone. I've mine for well over a year. Still in love!

And as far as the data, if you are at home or somewhere with wifi just connect to that and you won't use data from your plan as far as I know.....

This is me exactly!
  • imagesevans1975:
    imageTheBub:

2GB would probably be okay.  DH and I share 4GB and it has always been enough.  If we were to go over, it would be $15 for every additional 1GB, so it isn't the end of the world.  The everyday FB, Pinterest, and general internetting isn't going to send you over, it's downloading apps and tons of music that could.  Also, if you have wifi in your home, you can use that instead of your cellular data.

Thanks, that helps.  So, if I'm understanding eveyrthing correctly: if I already have iTunes and don't necessarily download a ton of music, that would work.  Or, if I'm somewhere w/ wifi already, it wouldn't count towards the 2GB.

Correct- if you are connected to Wifi, you would be using that to stream your content and not the 3G service that would count towards your 2GB.

If you ever get concerned, you can always login to your account online and check your usage.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageRockyTopVols:
    imagesevans1975:
    imageTheBub:

Correct- if you are connected to Wifi, you would be using that to stream your content and not the 3G service that would count towards your 2GB.

If you ever get concerned, you can always login to your account online and check your usage.  

We have AT&T.  We get texts when we get to 65% data used and at certain increments after that.  I think you have to set that up online though, it isn't automatic.

• I love my iPhone too! I have wanted it for a long time, but just got it last summer and i love it. I don't regret it. I have never gone over 1GB of data, but I am home all day and i have my phone set to pick up Wifi. My advice is- make sure you know which apps use data so you don't get a shock when the bill comes.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"