October 2012 Moms
Options

BFers who also supplement

How are you doing this? I've been back at work since mid January. I pump twice a day, which had always met DDs needs but now she is wanting more during the day. I EBF when home. The thing that led me to think this is that she just recently started waking every 23 hours at night to eat and does this all excepts for when I'm at work because my mom can give her a larger amount. Every time at night she is wanting both breasts too! So today I BF DD at 7am before I went to work and within an hour she had a 4 oz bottle. I decided to try and feed her just a little while ago when I picked her up and she took both sides and kept trying to get another letdown by pulling back. She finally unlatched then took another 2 oz of BM in a bottle. Now the question is how do I go about making up for what I'm not producing. Just mix with formula to get the amount she needs? I plan to continue to pump and BF as much as possible. I'm already eating oatmeal, drinking tea and taking fenugreek.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: BFers who also supplement

• Options

Possible growth spurt?

I am just going to make it 6 months EBF (I think, 17 days left) because of reverse cycling. I normally pump 12-13 ounces a day (3 pumps), and she eats either 3 or 4 four-ounce bottles at daycare. She eats before work, after work, and 2-4 times at night. It can be exhausting.

I have about 30 ounces of freezer left which should be gone within the next month. At that point I plan on giving my DCP (in home provider) a container of formula and just telling her to use it when I don't have enough BM from the day before. That way I won't feel bad sending it to daycare, because I'm crazy. I don't want to mix it because formula is only good 24 hours and I would hate to waste my BM. 

DD 9/15/12
  • Options
    Do you mean take supplements? I am taking both blessed thistle and fenugreek again, drinking mm tea, eating oatmeal. DD is small and want to make sure she is getting enough.
    Birthday

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    H feeds her a bottle if formula in the morning for her first feed while I pump. Sometimes she needs my additional pumped bottle for daycare and sometimes it just helps with my freezer stash. We've been doing it that way for a couple months.
    Lucy: October 2012 
  • Options
    Sounds like maybe a growth spurt.  I do oatmeal but I don't find that it helps when LO has kept me up every 2 hours!  When I sleep well, I pump so much better.  When I am behind on pumping, I have to use the freezer stash and pump on the weekends to make it up.
  • Options
    imagedotmbc:
    Can you add another pump? It takes me 4 to keep up with ds. I also use the weekends to make up for any discrepancy.
    . I am going to add a nighttime pump session, but I can only pump twice a day at work and sometimes only one.

Re: the growth spurt. I don't think it is because this has been going on for 3 weeks now. I just decided to test it out when my mom brought it up.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I have had to supplement from the beginning due to low supply. I SAH so we BF on demand, and if he is still hungry after a feeding I offer 2-3oz of formula, which seems to "top him off". For a long time he was just getting 6-8oz a day, however the last week he's been taking 12oz. This method has worked well for me. Obviously your situation is a little different, I would start by offering one small bottle of formula a day to see how she tolerates it, GL!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"