August 2011 Moms
Options

Share your snow storm stories

Seems like we've had quite a bit of those this winter - anyone have any funny/scary/crazy snow storm stories they want to share?
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Share your snow storm stories

• Options

Twas the day after Christmas (no really, it was December 26, 2005).

My dad is self-employed and back then, I was working for him part time. The forecast was calling for a snow storm, but my dad and I thought it was a perfect day to go visit a client about 2.5 hours away. 

So off we went. 

We should have clued in that it might be better to stay home when we started seeing a few of these along the way.

And then those.

(You know it's bad when 18 wheelers end up in the ditch)

But noooooo. We just kept going and made it to the client's without any hiccups. And THEN the storm started. The highway was closed, and so was the other main road back home. Have no fear, said my dad, for he knew the area like the palm of his hand and we could still go through the back roads across the mountain.

Great plan dad. Until this became the view from our windshield.

Seriously. We were going like 10mph and couldn't tell the road from the ditch from the fields from anything because everything was just one endless sea of white.

And then the car stopped moving. The tires had nothing to grip anymore. We were in the ditch but couldn't even tell. So we called the tow truck and they towed us back to town, and we had no choice but to stay there and wait for the storm to end.

The one motel they had was already filled with stranded travelers (day after Christmas, remember?), so we were told to head over to the local college. All the dorm rooms had been rented out for the night as well, and the only place left for us to crash was in the gym.

And so we "set up camp", along with about 30 other people or so.

Let's just say I was VERY glad to find my bed again the next day.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Lol, dads! My dad would do the same thing! I love how you documented the whole thing with pictures.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageRachey1082:
    Lol, dads! My dad would do the same thing! I love how you documented the whole thing with pictures.

Yeah. He's a rather... errr... stubborn driver. lol 

• Options

This past Monday, everyone was in a tizzy about the forecast for Monday evening/Tuesday morning. In my city everyone freaks out about inclement weather. No one can drive in it, they rush to Walmart and buy up all the stock of bread, milk and Poptarts. So half the city sent their employees home at lunch, including my employer, because the roads were going to be so bad that everyone would be stranded.

I went home at lunch but I still had to work that afternoon, basically working on the newsletter on my laptop. So when I went to bed I glanced outside and there was very little snow on the grass and none on the roads. I could have finished the newsletter from my office and gotten home just fine.

Went to bed, woke up and still no snow on the roads. The forecast had called for up to 12 inches of snow in my area. It was sunny and perfectly clear.

We have had a few "snow storms" this year other than the fail one. DD loves to pick up snow and eat it. But usually the snow has melted away by the next day.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageJennikd3:

This past Monday, everyone was in a tizzy about the forecast for Monday evening/Tuesday morning. In my city everyone freaks out about inclement weather. No one can drive in it, they rush to Walmart and buy up all the stock of bread, milk and Poptarts. So half the city sent their employees home at lunch, including my employer, because the roads were going to be so bad that everyone would be stranded.

I went home at lunch but I still had to work that afternoon, basically working on the newsletter on my laptop. So when I went to bed I glanced outside and there was very little snow on the grass and none on the roads. I could have finished the newsletter from my office and gotten home just fine.

Went to bed, woke up and still no snow on the roads. The forecast had called for up to 12 inches of snow in my area. It was sunny and perfectly clear.

We have had a few "snow storms" this year other than the fail one. DD loves to pick up snow and eat it. But usually the snow has melted away by the next day.

I don't think I've ever heard of a failed snow storm before. lol 

• Options

Scary-

I was driving to my volunteer job (I helped out at a local NICU) and the roads were super slick. While jamming to Taylor Swift and driving like a granny I hit a patch on black ice while on an on-ramp merging up onto a 6 lane highway. Two donuts in the middle of traffic and one massive slide down the grassy on-ramp embankment later I was lucky to be alive. Somehow I managed to miss all of the other cars around me. My car ended up near the overpass by the road below. The cop that arrived said that if I had gone off of the highway forward (I went down backwards) that I would have totaled my car and been seriously hurt. After getting my car towed back onto the road below, my husband was able to drive it home with only limited damage. I was 12 weeks pregnant with Brooklyn. 

Needless to say I am so happy that we finally moved back to Florida. This moment further fueling my already high anxiety in the car.  

Married: 3/01/08
    Baby Girl: 7/29/11
    Angel Baby: M/C 7/15/14 at 7wk
    BFP: 8/23/14 - Due 4/28/15  - It's a BOY!
  • Options

At Christmas one year, we went to visit the ILs. DH wanted to go to a local ice cream/fast food place for lunch one day. As we're sitting there eating ice cream, we look out the window and realize it's snowing pretty hard - very rare for that area. We barely made it back to MIL's house before the worst of the storm hit. They had already closed some roads because of snow drifts and limited visibility.

The next day, it wasn't snowing anymore, and most of the main roads were plowed, so we went to the movies. We had to drive up on the grass on the side of the road at one point because there were so many abandoned vehicles still blocking the streets.

On our way back home, we stopped at the Grand Canyon -- I highly recommend stopping to see it when there is snow around. So beautiful!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    My snow story:

Once upon a time we moved to Georgia.

Georgia only gets rain.

Rain gives me the sadz.

No snow for Georgians.

::insert sad face, because I'm mobile and apparently parenthesis don't count from iPhone::
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I have a fun one!

It was....maybe...1999 or 2000.

There was a big snow and ice storm coming, so the roads were getting pretty treacherous.  My boyfriend was heading over, as was my BFF, and we were going to watch a movie and get snowed in at my parents' house.

BFF also shows up with his cousin, who I had met only once before, so I didn't know him well.  But he was a freshman at Villanova (about 20 mins away) so he was now living in the area.  He seemed like an alright dude, a little full of himself, but we all got along and had a fun night.

Well, the snow was not as bad as it was supposed to be, and I ended up having to get up and get ready for work in the a.m.  As I'm stepping over the three guys sleeping on the floor in the den, BFF's cousin says, "You're heading to make me some breakfast, right?"  I just laughed and thought to myself, "Wow, what a pompous asss!!"

I ended up marrying that pompous asss Stick out tongue

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    imagekjuryfl:

Holy crap! Glad you made it out ok. That must have been so scary! 

imageladybugpjb:

We had to drive up on the grass on the side of the road at one point because there were so many abandoned vehicles still blocking the streets.

On our way back home, we stopped at the Grand Canyon -- I highly recommend stopping to see it when there is snow around. So beautiful!

What a surreal sight those abandoned cars must have been - And you wouldn't happen to have pictures of a snowy Grand Canyon, would you6 I bet that was breath taking 

imageDuckieer:
    My snow story: Once upon a time we moved to Georgia. Georgia only gets rain. Rain gives me the sadz. No snow for Georgians. ::insert sad face, because I'm mobile and apparently parenthesis don't count from iPhone::

I can't imagine winter without snow. I just can't. I haz a sad for you. 

imagemelissa0726:

I ended up marrying that pompous asss Stick out tongue 

LOL - Love it! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"