January 2013 Moms

Sleep to much or too little?

How much should a 6 week old be sleeping? Some days lo naps great during the day (yesterday slept 17 hours total) and then days like today he's barely slept (8-9 hours total thus far). I worry its not enough and maybe there is a deeper issue. Of course I'm a FTM who always thinks the worst...UGH. I hate doubting myself

Re: Sleep to much or too little?

• Can't help, I don't think Eloise sleeps enough. I can spend hours trying to get her to take a nap in a silent room, with white noise, swaddled, unswaddled and she just won't sleep.
  • I don't believe they can ever sleep too much. This website is very helpful.

https://www.troublesometots.com/areyoukeepingbabyawaketoolong/
    William born 9/7/07
    Violet Mae born 1/15/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Here I go with the "Our Pediatrician said ..." line again.  But really, I love our pediatrician and really take his advice to heart. 

Anyway, he said that baby's are awake, on average, only 6 hours a day. Granted, this increases as they get older but I use that as a guideline.

My LO isn't a great napper during the day, so she gets most of her sleep in at night. Which, I guess if I had to pick, I'd rather have her sleep at night vs. the day. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagethis decaf life:
    Can't help, I don't think Eloise sleeps enough. I can spend hours trying to get her to take a nap in a silent room, with white noise, swaddled, unswaddled and she just won't sleep.

I think we may have the same baby. Lol. DD1 naps approximately none during the day, and only if we're holding her ... and those are catnaps at best. We've tried the whole naps in the nursery thing, but that has failed every time. She sleeps pretty well at night, so I'm not really concerned.
    TTC Since 11/10 due to Unexplained IF 
    4 Rounds of Clomid, 2 Rounds of Femara + IUI, 2 rounds of IUI+ Injectables (Bravelle + Menopur) = First BFP! TWIN GIRLS!

November 2, 2012 - Claire (2lbs 8.9oz) and Paige (2lbs 10oz) arrive at 29w3d due to PTL and pPROM at 28w5d 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • My boys sleep best when i take them outside; cant wait for the weather to hot up so i cam stay out longer!

Some days they need more sleep than others, as long as LO appears content and normal, I wouldnt worry too much
    Pregnancy Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • It can vary day to day for whatever reason.  I wouldn't worry unless you have reason to believe something else is going on.  LO will let you know.

I find this helpful:  https://www.thealphaparent.com/2013/01/timeline-of-baby-and-toddler-sleep.html?m=1 

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"