Breastfeeding
Options

Traveling w/Breastmilk

I haven't started pumping yet, but I am thinking ahead/freaking out about upcoming challenges already.

How does one transport breastmilk?  Does it need to be kept cold?  We have a few small trips coming up and I don't want to have to use formula, but stopping to feed LO seems...inconvenient.  I have a bottle warmer (I assume it needs to be heated up before feeding), but I didn't know if it could be kept at room/car temperature or for how long.  Advice?

Re: Traveling w/Breastmilk

• Options
    Are you flying or driving.

Milk can be left out at room temp for six hours, or you could put it in a cooler if you are driving. I've known people to pump in the car and then sit in the backseat and bottle feed.

If it were me, I'd just nurse every few hours along the way. That is what I do when flying or driving.

Some babies will take cold milk out of the fridge. Others are fine with room temp. So you may or may not need a warmer.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

When driving, I either stopped and nursed every couple hours or fed a bottle and pumped.  I stored the milk in a small softsided cooler with an ice pack. 

When flying, I store milk in the little cooler that came with my pump.  Get through security and then fill up a baggie or two of ice.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"