1st Trimester

Low progesterone

Just found out I am pregnant and had some spotting. Was instructed to come in for blood work and found out today that my progesterone is 7.7 which is lower than what is expected for first trimester normal is around 8.8. Has anyone else had this problem and everything turned out fine? Can this just be supplemented? Thanks for all your help!!

Re: Low progesterone

• It can be corrected with a couple of different things. You need to talk to your doctor for specifics on what will work for you. A medical professional must first identify the cause of the low progesterone etc. 

https://www.livestrong.com/article/402423-what-to-do-if-progesterone-is-low-during-early-pregnancy/

I don't have experience with this personally, but I have had two moms in my Mom's Group that had low progesterone and took the suppositories. They have happy, and healthy little ones now.  

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I started taking progesterone for a LPD after ovulation. I went in to have blood work done and my progesterone level came back at 4.9 (before pregnancy), so she had me start taking a progesterone supplement called Prometrium. I'm supposed to take it through my first trimester.

Like the PP said, I would speak with your doctor about what works for you.

TTC #1 since 10/14/12 // 1/2013: 7DPO blood work revealed low progesterone/luteal phase defect // 2/2013: DH's SA - Normal // BFP 2/25/13 - EDD 10/30/13 Daisypath Anniversary tickers imageimageMy blog!
  • Loading the player...
  • imageGhostMonkey:

Your doctor told you 8.8 is normal for 1st tri? Dude, run away now. 10 is minimum to confirm ovulation, and it only rises after that if you are pregnant. And your doctor should have called in an order for supplements on the spot. Get the supplements, then go find a new doctor.

I've seen a number of women with low progesterone levels (even lower than yours) go on to have successful pregnancies.

Totally agree with GM. Yes

Bison (FCS) beats Big 12 Champs Kansas St (24-21)!!!
    imageimage

• Mine was 7.1, they started me on supositories twice a day immediately and so far so good! I do agree though that anything under 10 isn't okay.

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I am on suppositories once a day.  Mine came back at 13, my doc wants to see it above 15 (medicated pregnancy).  Their minimum was 10 for unmedicated pregnancy.  They are a little bit of a pain, but nothing major.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I had a m/c in August at 5 weeks 1 day and my progesterone then was 2.6..the doctor this time put me on progesterone the moment I found out at 4 weeks 3 days.  It was 21 at the time and she still said she wanted it to be higher.  I will be on twice a day suppositories (200 mg each) until 10 weeks and then go down to once a day until 12...I would def ask for progesterone or options!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker photo octoberowls_zps78dd2214.png

May Siggy: Baby in disguise

photo photo1-1.jpg
  • imageGhostMonkey:
    Your doctor told you 8.8 is normal for 1st tri? Dude, run away now. 10 is minimum to confirm ovulation, and it only rises after that if you are pregnant. And your doctor should have called in an order for supplements on the spot. Get the supplements, then go find a new doctor.
    I've seen a number of women with low progesterone levels even lower than yours go on to have successful pregnancies.
    nbsp;

Thanks to everyone for all the help! I have made and appt with another doctor for a second opinion. The story gets a little better; the doctors nurse call and said that my levels were normal after I saw that they were not in the "normal" range!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"