Breastfeeding
Options

made it 6 months

I wish I could say we made it EBF like so many posts but I am just celebrating that DD and I stuck with it this far and it is getting easier.

For anyone starting out and having trouble with your supply, it is worth the effort to keep going if that's what you want to do.  We have had to supplement with formula for most of the 6 months (there was only about 3-4 weeks where I was able to supplement with pumped milk).  

We didn't really have any of the discomfort issues that it seems like a lot of women have but instead had a super sleepy,slow gainer.  I pumped after daytime feeds at first and then moved to pumping after EVERY feed to try to up my supply. We were still waking her for night feeds when I went back to work at 12 weeks because her weight gain was so slow. I've tried fenugreek, More Milk Plus, oatmeal, barley water, power pumping, Relgan, and Domperidone but have still had to supplement a steady amount for the last 4 months.

Anyway, I guess my point is that there were times when I wondered if it was worth spending the time/money to increase my supply when nothing was working but knowing I was trying helped relieve some of the disappointment of not being able to EBF like I'd planned.   

When I was struggling it seemed like combo feeding is only mentioned when it's a choice and not really brought up when someone has to supplement due to supply but some of us HAVE to  and it's ok :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: made it 6 months

• Options
    Congrats on making it!! Your a great momma for all you've done. I supplemented with my middle son as well but I always figured the breast milk and time at the breast he got was so worth it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
  • Options
    congrats on sticking with it.  any amount of breastmilk is great for baby.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#1 10 wk missed mc      

BFP#2 DS born at 40+2 on 8/14/12  BFP#3 DD Born at 39+3 on 5/13/14

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Awesome job!
    Hilary
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options

Thank you so much for posting this. Your story sounds a lot like mine, my DD has been a very slow gainer and has been supplemented since she was 3 weeks old. She is almost 5 months now and I just went back to work and was questioning whether or not I want to continue breastfeeding and pumping during work when she only gets a total of 6-8oz a day from me. I'd love to make it to 6 months or longer so it's great to hear from someone who has even with supply challenges!

I agree with you that is seems like long-term combo feeding isn't discussed quite as much as either strictly EBF or strictly FF. I feel like there are a lot of us who can breastfeed to meet part of LO's needs but are forced to supplement for the long term. It's definitely tough.

Congrats on making it 6 months! 

• Options
    Congrats!  That's great that you've made it so far!
    PM me for blog link!

Lilypie - (oGcT)Lilypie - (iEmQ)  
  • Options
    imagecalimavs:

Thank you so much for posting this. Your story sounds a lot like mine, my DD has been a very slow gainer and has been supplemented since she was 3 weeks old. She is almost 5 months now and I just went back to work and was questioning whether or not I want to continue breastfeeding and pumping during work when she only gets a total of 6-8oz a day from me. I'd love to make it to 6 months or longer so it's great to hear from someone who has even with supply challenges!

I agree with you that is seems like long-term combo feeding isn't discussed quite as much as either strictly EBF or strictly FF. I feel like there are a lot of us who can breastfeed to meet part of LO's needs but are forced to supplement for the long term. It's definitely tough.

Congrats on making it 6 months! 

I am glad someone feels this way, too - I was hoping I didn't just sound whiney! I just remember reading everywhere how true low supply is so rare (doesn't make you feel better when it's you!)  Then it sucks to read about all the things that everyone swears by to increase supply when they don't work for you and to hear that you should drop supplements and nurse a lot when you know that won't be healthy for your baby.

Congrats on making it 5 months!  I think it continues to keep getting easier - at least outside of the pumping.  I am excited to get to the 1 year point because I've heard that is a much more relaxed time because you don't really have to worry about supply, it's more about the routine and comfort :) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"