1st Trimester
Options

first exam... at 12 weeks!

I called to make my doctor's appointment today and was so disappointed when she told me that  wouldn't actually see the doctor or have an exam until I was 12 weeks. My first appointment was is at 8 weeks but it is just paperwork and family history with the nurse.

I feel like all of my friends got to hear the heartbeat for their babies at 8-10 weeks... and I'm so sad I have to wait this long to be assured everything is okay.

When did you all have your first exams?

baby p will arrive in late October... :-) sooo excited! BabyFetus Ticker

Re: first exam... at 12 weeks!

• Options

There is only one on in my town that does them at 9-10 weeks. All others do them at 12. She use to only do them for younger teen moms. But now she does it for all her patients. It sucks waiting.

Think though, back in the day they might only know their pregnant by missed period.I just now thought of that. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Mine were around 11 weeks. It's hard waiting!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Mine was at 6wks. My OBGYN seems to make an appt a few weeks after calling to make one. They tried to schedule me at 5wks but my schedule didn't allow it. He also does an U/S at the appt too.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker image
  • Options
    6 weeks but I had major cramping so she checked to make sure no eptopic pregnancy. Only saw yolk sac. Cam back 1 week later and had heart beat. Then did one at 10 weeks to get a more accurate due date, I am not high risk and have another at week 12
  • Options
    6 weeks but I had major cramping so she checked to make sure no eptopic pregnancy. Only saw yolk sac. Cam back 1 week later and had heart beat. Then did one at 10 weeks to get a more accurate due date, I am high risk and have another at week 12
  • Options
    i had my first apt at 8 weeks that's when I found out I was pregnant. they did a full exam I will get to hear baby heart beat at my next apt which will be at my 12 week mark
  • Options

I was a little over 9 weeks before my 1st appt. I felt likeI had to wait forever. She did a full exam, blood work and pap than found the baby's heartbeat! Our Ultrasound wasn't until 11 weeks 2days and my 2nd appt is tomorrow at 13 weeks.

Hang in there!!

P.S Maybe you can say you've been cramping to get an eariler appt?? Or find another Dr/OB that will see you sooner?

Anniversary BabyFetus Ticker image
  • Options
    I had my first at 7 weeks, but that was because I had a previous loss. Otherwise my doc wouldn't have done an ultrasound until 20 weeks. First appointment where I saw the doc instead of a nurse was at 12 weeks.
    BFP #1 8/25/12 EDD 4/28/13 Blighted Ovum, D&C 9/20/12 at 8w6d. I'll always remember the first one. My baby Grace. BFP #2 12/26/12 EDD 9/4/13. DS born 9/7/13. My sweet rainbow.
  • Options
    If you're concerned about something medical, call and ask for an earlier appointment. Don't lie or fabricate symptoms. If you're just impatient because you want to see and know everything is ok, that's normal, but maybe you should take this as a lesson in patience? I am VERY impatient and felt like waiting until 11 weeks was forever. But I just convinced myself that I need to be less impatient and more go with the flow or these next months before baby and years after baby will drive me up a wall!
  • Options
    Mine is scheduled for 12 weeks also.
  • Options
    My first exam was originally scheduled for 12.5 weeks, but my office had to change it because my doctor ended up having to do a C-section that day. Now I got bumped to 9.5 weeks. I can totally understand your stress! 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    This is how my doctors office does it too. I saw the nurse at 8weeks and I had my first OB appointment yesterday (around 11 weeks). You wouldn't be able to hear the baby's hb at 8to10weeks via doppler anyway.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary
  • Options
    Mine isn't till 10 weeks (tomorrow!).
    Boy 10.6.13
    Labored at freestanding birth center using hypnobirthing techniques
    Delivered via csection
  • Options
    imageBeckondeck:

I was a little over 9 weeks before my 1st appt. I felt likeI had to wait forever. She did a full exam, blood work and pap than found the baby's heartbeat! Our Ultrasound wasn't until 11 weeks 2days and my 2nd appt is tomorrow at 13 weeks.

Hang in there!!

P.S Maybe you can say you've been cramping to get an eariler appt?? Or find another Dr/OB that will see you sooner?

This is some shitty advice.  OP, you can't usually hear the heart beat on a doppler before 12 weeks anyway (and sometimes later) so to go earlier wouldn't get you what you want.  People who go earlier and "hear" the heartbeat and likely getting an u/s and hearing a simulation of the heartbeat but if your OB doesn't do early ultrasounds you really would still just have to wait.  It's hard but worth it. 

Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options
    My doctor also does an 8 week appointment with the nurse and your first one with doc is at 12...That's when you hear the heartbeat. And if all is going well, you get one ultrasound at 18-20 weeks. I had some early spotting that caused some concern so I had an early u/s. Good luck waiting! I have just 2 weeks til my 12 week appointment and I'm so anxious. :-)
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    My office doesn't see you until you're 8-10 weeks. Your first appt. isn't with the doctor but with the nurse practitioner. I had an ultrasound at 6 weeks 5 days because of a previous missed miscarriage. I won't even see my doctor until next week and I'll be just starting 2nd trimester.
    imageBabyFetus Ticker

BFP #1- 9/16/2012 MMC- 10/24/2012 (8.5 weeks, baby measured 6 weeks 1 day with no heartbeat) D&C-10/30/2012 BFP #2- 12/23/2012 Due 9/5/2013 Please be our rainbow baby!
  • Options
    Mine is also at 12 weeks. Depends on the doc

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

I said for her to find another OB that would take her if she didn't want to wait until 12 weeks to find out if everything was OK.

Most women have cramping/spotting so if she did she could tell them and they would probably see her earlier to make sure there wasn't a problem.

And I'm sure we heard the heardbeat on doppler at 9 weeks since my heartbeat was in the 80s and baby's was clearly in the 150s. So to say you cannot "hear the baby's heartbeat before 12 weeks" is a lie.

Also elmoai you do not have to cuss to make a point, there is absoultely no need for that.

• Options
    imageelmoali:
    imageBeckondeck:

Hang in there!!

This is some shitty advice.  OP, you can't usually hear the heart beat on a doppler before 12 weeks anyway (and sometimes later) so to go earlier wouldn't get you what you want.  People who go earlier and "hear" the heartbeat and likely getting an u/s and hearing a simulation of the heartbeat but if your OB doesn't do early ultrasounds you really would still just have to wait.  It's hard but worth it. 

I said for her to find another OB that would take her if she didn't want to wait until 12 weeks to find out if everything was OK.

Most women have cramping/spotting so if she did she could tell them and they would probably see her earlier to make sure there wasn't a problem.

And I'm sure we heard the heardbeat on doppler at 9 weeks since my heartbeat was in the 80s and baby's was clearly in the 150s. So to say you cannot "hear the baby's heartbeat before 12 weeks" is a lie.

Also elmoai you do not have to cuss to make a point, there is absoultely no need for that.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"