Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Tiredness

What is everyone doing to cope with being so tired? I am breast feeding and cant really have caffeine. My son is 9 days old now and  I can barely function. I also lost a quart of blood during labor and am anemic now so that isnt helping my cause. 

Any tips? 

Re: Tiredness

• I'm bfing and drink coffee. Sleep when baby sleeps, day or night. You'll adjust soon.
    William born 9/7/07
    Violet Mae born 1/15/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I don't think there's much you can do but grin and bear it.  You'll get through it.

My best advice would be to not pressure yourself to do anything but care for baby.  Meaning let the housework slide, it's ok if laundry piles up, and there's no shame in eating take out multiple nights a week!  It's temporary and the other tasks will still be there when you're feeling a little more rested.  Sleep when baby sleeps if you can, if not at least try to lay down and relax/rest while they are, it helps even if baby's sleeping on your chest.  Just laying in your bed for a bit will at least recharge you a bit.

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Loading the player...
  • Girl, you can have a cup of coffee here and there! I had coffee this morning and breast fed right after I drank it, and LO slept all day! I also think that once I started to feel better from my c section I was rejuvenated too, so every day should get easier for you. The sleeping when baby sleeps thing is super hard in the beginning. It wasn't until recently when I finally started to do that. The best part of my day is after the 7 pm feed: I shower and get ready for bed and just lounge around on my phone or nap until LO is ready for the 10 pm feed. DH takes DS and watches tv and I just get some me time! Good luck and don't be afraid to ask for help!
  • I drank caffeine while pregnant and I drink lots of it now. : my baby is bf and sleeps like a rock. Ya never know until you try it!
    ~~Kelly~~ Mommy to Aiden 6/2007 and Lilah 2/2010 www.kellybeans.wordpress.com BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageTeacher Clark:
    I would be careful with coffee. I know so many women who say they can drink it and then don't understand why LO is fussy at night. I have a friend whose LO sleeps horribly at night, but she swears the coffee she drinks doesn't affect her

I've read numerous studies that say less than 300mgs per day has no affect on infants.
    William born 9/7/07
    Violet Mae born 1/15/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Your allowed to have 2 small cups a day while breast feeding
    Me:30, DH:33 TTC : 2010 Dx: March 2011 Azoospermia. TESE Feb 2012, Sperm was found. Me:All Blood work are good. Tubes are clear. IVF w/ICSI May 2012, 5/27/12: 12R, 3F, 5/30/12: 2T HPT:6/9/12 = BFP! Beta#1 6/10/12 = BFP!128 Beta#2 = 278 Beta#3 = 3,000+ Beta#4 = 14,000+ imageBabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Drink lots of water, out your feet up as much as possible and try to get one nap a day if you an.  Also, take an iron pill or each lots of iron rich food like spinach.  They will help.  I too lost a LOT of look at delivery and can attest to the low iron issue.  As for coffee, that's your call but I was told by my LC that f I wanted a cup to drink it right after a feeding or during as it would have a couple hours to work through my system before the next feed.  If you are going to have a cup though do it in the morning so that if LO does get fussy it's not at bed time.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageOhBaby+2013:
    Drink lots of water, out your feet up as much as possible and try to get one nap a day if you an.  Also, take an iron pill or each lots of iron rich food like spinach.  They will help.  I too lost a LOT of look at delivery and can attest to the low iron issue.  As for coffee, that's your call but I was told by my LC that f I wanted a cup to drink it right after a feeding or during as it would have a couple hours to work through my system before the next feed.  If you are going to have a cup though do it in the morning so that if LO does get fussy it's not at bed time.

I agree with this regarding the water and iron. You have to replenish your system after losing all that blood and fluids definitely help. Also, juices are a good fluid. The first two weeks are always the most exhausting. You'll start to feel better once you recover a little more. GL!

• I am super anemic from blood loss, too, so I feel your pain (or tiredness, as the case may be).  

My baby is about 10 days older than yours and I'm already starting to get a little more sleep...or I've just gotten used to the lesser amount of sleep. Either way, I'm feeling more well rested. So, hang in there, you'll start to feel better soon!

I've been drinking lots of water, taking my iron supplements, and eating lots of iron rich and vitamin C rich foods.  Vitamin C is important to help you body more efficiently absorb iron.  Also, keep snacks on hand that are easy to prep and eat so that you can have a little energy boost during or after nursing.  

Also, the tiredness has been psychologically hard for me.  For a while I dreaded going to bed because I knew I wasn't really going to get a good night's rest.  My day seemed endless because no matter when I slept I knew I'd be up in 2-3 hours again.  To combat this, I make sure to get dressed as soon as I get out of bed in the morning and I put on my pjs at my designated "bed time".  Using clothing to mark the difference between day and night makes me feel better, even though I'm still tired.  

Hope this helps!
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Naps, and when I need sleep I call my nieces! They're great babysitters!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"