Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

Confused on what to do first re: sleep training, weaning,etc.

My DD is 6 mts, she takes four 6oz bottles of formula at daycare, two solids of oatmeal cereal for breakfast and dinner (we are still working on the fruits/veggies, she's not really feeling them yet!) and either a bottle or breast before bedtime, which she will usuall take in around 4oz average. 

The problem is she still gets up average 3 times a night to eat, and it usually is 3-4 hours after her last feeding.  And really, only one of those 3 feedings does she really chow down, the others is just grazing and soothing herself.  I really want to get her to soothe herself back to sleep but I dont know if I can do that and wean at the same time?  She has NEVER slept a whole night, and the longest she usually sleeps at a time could be 5 hours but that has stopped. I feel horrible about letting her cry, mainly because I just dont know if she really is crying out of hunger or habit.  If you have stopped BF, how did you do it?  And did you sleep train as well?  The worst is, I have a 4yr old! You would think I would remember how to do this! LOL!

Re: Confused on what to do first re: sleep training, weaning,etc.

• Options

From what I understood, feeding in the motn at this age was just habit.  If you truly believe (and its what makes you comfortable) LO is hungry at that one feeding, then keep doing that motn feeding and not the other ones where she just snacks.  If you want to wean the motn feeding, do it slowly by feeding less and less each night.  That way she'll realize shes getting less in the motn and eat more during the day to make up for it.  Eventually, it'll all even itself out.

For DS1, he weaned his motn feedings by himself by drinking less and less.  Then I did sleep training at 5.5 months. 

• Options
    best thing to do is teach her to fall asleep on her own, using whichever method you feel most comfortable with. Then she stop waking at night unless she is absolutely hungry, which she still may need 1 night feed at this age. But the only way you will know is if you teach her to fall asleep independently
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    sleep train first, in case she still needs to eat at night she will only wake once vs multiple times once sleep trained
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"