Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

tubes

My son is getting tubes in his ears tomorrow....anything i should know besides what dr and nurses have told me?

Re: tubes

• Options

There's a chance his ears will bleed. It's freaky, but normal.

He could be cranky for a while. Also normal. Just get in extra cuddles.

You'll be given drops to put in his ears for a while. This can be like wrestling an octopus, so pick a happy time to do it.

This experience is often harder on the parents than the kids. It's scary to send your child off to surgery, but remind yourself that everything will be fine.

Good luck!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

My son just got them less than 2 weeks ago. The worst was coming out of surgery. He looked drunk and didn't know what was going on. All in all though, he went in for surgery at 7:30, they called us to the conference room at 7:50, then to recovery at 7:55, and we were headed out the door at 8:15.

He was cranky and tired all day though, but it might have been also because he had a double ear infection that they "cleaned out." They warned us of drainage, but my mind didn't think drainage=lots of blood. His ears bled for about a week. He was needy the next day, and back to himself the following. I hope everything goes well for you!

*Side note: Not sure where your kid is developmentally, but the night after his surgery, he started to try independent standing for the first time.

Micah Leonard
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Bring a bottle to feed him when he first comes out of surgery.  Honestly it was the best thing we did for him.  He was crabby for about an hour after and then was sort of off all day but other then that he was fine.  The next day he was back to normal.  I hope you have it scheduled for the morning since they do have to fast.  My son fell asleep in the waiting room so when the Dr. came to get him he was out like a light.  Made it MUCH easier to let him go.  The Dr. just carried him away in his arms and about 45min later he was in my arms :)  Bring his blankie or any other lovie he has.  Other then that we were in and out and home and I was back to work by 10:30am.  GL!
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    His surgery is the first one tomorrow at 7:30 am. He can only have juice after the procedure
  • Options
    Yep they gave him pedi-lite but I wish I had brought my own bottle.  However he was so thirsty it wasn't an issue.  I think he would ahve drank from anything at that point.  7:30 is perfect!  Ours was at 8:30 and we were home by 10
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    Also, LO did start having night terrors starting 2 nights after his surgery. There's no way it's only a coincidence. The first one was the worst. Now, they're much more mild, but it almost seems like he's re-living coming out of anesthesia. He just went through one now, which reminded me to warn you. They're not "common," but also not uncommon following surgery. Again, I hope it goes well for you!
    Micah Leonard
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"