Breastfeeding

Victory and latching question

My little boy has been in the NICU since day one and has been fed via bottle or feeding tube this whole time. Starting last Thursday they started letting me try to get him to nurse. Despite the efforts of great nurses, multiple LC, and even DH, my boy was having none of it. And then, 30 minutes ago, he was awake when I had just finished pumping bedside and his feeding time was coming up. I thought I'd give nursing a go. To my surprise he latched and sucked for 20 minutes! It was great! But here's my latch question... It sounded like he was swallowing and he fell asleep with milk a little on his lips, but it stung a little while he was sucking. I pump the rest of the time and have no pain, so did he in fact latch or am I wrong? Most of the areola that I could see was in his mouth...

Daisypath - (2EEx)

Lilypie - (CszI)

Re: Victory and latching question

• It could just be the newness of nursing irritating your nipples, but it could also be a latch issue.  Ask an LC to hang out for a feeding to see if there's a problem.  Know, too, that it is a learning process for both of you.  My son's almost 6 weeks old & we're still working out latching.  Sometimes it's perfect on the first try, sometimes I have to pop him off & retry a bunch of times.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • He could be getting milk fine, but still not latching "correctly." Mine gets enough milk to feed an army of babies, but it still hurts if his lips aren't flared, or if he doesn't have enough of the areola. Was his bottom lip out? That makes a huge difference in regards to pain, but not in regards to supply.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"