January 2013 Moms
Options

LO choke/coughing while drinking from bottle?

DD has been bottle fed formula since just shy of 1 week old.  She seemed to do fine with it.  Now, in the last few days she has started very frequently choke/coughing while drinking her bottles.  It definitely tends to happen more often when she's tired/drowsy than while fully awake.  It also tends to happen when she's further into her bottles rather than when she just starts and is really super actively sucking because she's hungry.  She'll just be drinking along and then all of the sudden she'll kind of pause and then she'll cough a few times.  Sometimes it's just coughing, sometimes you can tell she's kind of choking a little and gasping a bit.  The coughing and everything is only for a few seconds and then she's totally fine and back to wanting to eat, but then it'll happen again.  She's not doing anything out of the ordinary other than this, no spitting up, doesn't seem to be in pain or anything like that, I just can't figure it out.  I suspect it's just like she's getting out of rhythm with her sucking and the liquid is collecting in her throat, but why does it keep happening if that's the case and why is it just starting now at 5 weeks when she's been fine up until the last few days?  Also, you think she'd learn not to allow this to keep happening because it certainly can't be enjoyable to her.  Anyone experience this?  Thoughts?  Is it something I should be concerned about?
imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
*My Blog*
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
10/50 Read

my read shelf:
Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Re: LO choke/coughing while drinking from bottle?

• Options
    Sorry for the wall of text.  I only had a min to quickly type things out with 2 hands! 
    *My Blog*

10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    my lo has done this since the day he got his first bottle. He does it at least once every bottle and always at least a few minutes in. Never at the beginning or end. Doc said it was normal at his last appt but I am going to bring it up at his 2 month appt in 2 weeks. I know its not an answer but more of a right there with ya! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    This happened to my LO in front of the lactation consultant, who told me that the nipple was too fast, and he couldn't keep up with the flow.  My guess would be it just started now because the more you use and wash the nipples, the opening may have opened up a bit, making it faster.  You can either try getting a slower nipple (the LC recommended Avent brand as the slowest) or try holding the bottle a little more horizontal so she has to pull on it and it doesn't just come pouring out.  HTH
    4.23.12 - BFP! EDD 1.3.12

imageimage

• Options

image2PuppiesHon:
    This happened to my LO in front of the lactation consultant, who told me that the nipple was too fast, and he couldn't keep up with the flow.  My guess would be it just started now because the more you use and wash the nipples, the opening may have opened up a bit, making it faster.  You can either try getting a slower nipple (the LC recommended Avent brand as the slowest) or try holding the bottle a little more horizontal so she has to pull on it and it doesn't just come pouring out.  HTH

Hmm... interesting.  MH had said he thought maybe it had something to do with the nipple, but we've been using the same bottles all along (Tommee Tippee with stage 1 nipples). I hadn't thought of the potentially changing with use.  I'll try to angle the bottle differently to se if it helps.  Thanks!

*My Blog*

10/50 Read

my read shelf:
  • Options
    We also use tommee tippee slow flow nipples. I think the PP may be onto something with the usage/washing affecting the flow possibly. DS has been doing this for a few weeks too. He's otherwise fine so I haven't really thought anything of it.
  • Options
    I bottle feed breast milk out of the Medela slow flow nipple, and my DD still chokes and coughs... I have the Tommee Tippee bottles as well, and I would try it, but LO will not take any other bottle/nipple... and I just bought new nipples and still the same thing image imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"