Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Stupid Question - Shopping with Baby?

Clearly I've never paid much attention to new moms at the grocery store, because for the life of me I can't figure out how you take/accomodate a newborn when out shopping?!

I'm thinking more along the lines of neccessities, like grocery shopping.  I don't want to be constantly dumping DD off with my in-laws just to go on short outings to pick-up basics like food, but I can't envision how I'd take her with me either?

Do you wear baby in a sling, which would leave hands free for pushing a cart and picking-up items?  Do you put baby in the car seat/carrier and put that IN the shopping cart and push it around?   Or am I missing something obvious here?

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Stupid Question - Shopping with Baby?

• I always just put DD in the Moby, unless we only needed a few items, then I might use the stroller or put her seat into the main part of the cart.  
  • dd in the carriage, ds in the ergo carrier
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I just did my first trip to the grocery store since my new arrival, wore ds2 in a sling and ds1 sat in the carriage.

• Babywearing FTW.
  • imageBrittanyDoesDerby:
    Babywearing FTW.

~~** I Love My Boys <3**~~

• imagesschwege:
    I always just put DD in the Moby, unless we only needed a few items, then I might use the stroller or put her seat into the main part of the cart.  

This

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

imageimageimage
  • I put her in the Ergo, it's easy. We/ve been shopping together since she was 2.5 weeks old.
  • imageMyzticsunshine:
    imageBrittanyDoesDerby:
    Babywearing FTW.

This.
  • Those who baby wear... do you take care of this in the parking lot? Are any of you in colder climates? I just can't imagine trying to get her into the wrap while the snow and slush is coming down. Maybe I need to practice more.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I put my moby on at home. Carry. Lo into the store wrapped on a blanket them pop him in. If I am using a woven wrap, I carry him into the store, put him in the cart on a blanket while I put the wrap on then put him in. It's quick and easy.
  • I live in Boston . I put the ergo on , the open the back door and slide him through the top.  With practice it gets really quick 
  • I have always worn my babies in a sling from newborn until they sit in the cart. It's a breeze.
  • We just put her car seat in the main part of the cart and then fit groceries around it and in the toddler seat. So far we have had no issues and we buy a lot of groceries.

BFP #1 05/03/12 DD: 12/18/12
    BFP #2 05/26/14 MMC: 6/26/14 D&C: 7/18/14
    BFP #3 10/09/14 MC 10/24/14

• imagecporfido1981:
    I live in Boston . I put the ergo on , the open the back door and slide him through the top. nbsp;With practice it gets really quicknbsp;

I'm also in New England and do basically the same thing. I dress LO in warm clothes and put him on in the parking lot. So far, I've avoided going when it's been raining or snowing.
  • We're in Michigan. DS goes in the Moby/Ergo. DD sits in the cart. I put the Moby on at home and put him in when in the parking lot and put a blanket over him using the cover me.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I put the carseat in the cart
    William born 9/7/07
    Violet Mae born 1/15/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I've heard of some people pushing a stroller AND a shopping cart. But I haven't done that. I've just pushed my stroller around with a reusable bag clipped on my giant carabiner clipped on my stroller. Then if I want something that doesn't fit I ask the bagger to please get it for me while the cashier rings me up, (I've only done this when I've wanted more than one, then I have the cashier ring it twice while the bagger goes and gets another, so I don't hold up the line.)

Anyway, my system sucks. I'm either shopping with two people from here on out or I'm baby wearing. I just don't like waking LO up and getting him out of his car seat.... Ack, fine. I'll keep doing my system. 

• My car seat fits in the front of the cart where toddlers sit so I leave LO in there and push and I don't have to worry about anything!
  • Most of the time we put her in the Ergo. If it's cold, I hop out, put the Ergo on, and then hop in the back seat and close the door and then load her in the Ergo and get out. If DH is with me, he grabs her while I strap the Ergo on and then he puts her in and we go. However..if LO is asleep and DH is with me, I will put her in the main section of a grocery cart and use that one like a stroller while DH pushes another cart for groceries (we can't fit a stroller AND groceries in my car very well)

BFP #1 12/02/11, M/C 12/08/11
    BFP #2 04/06/12, DD born 12/20/12
    BFP #3 06/09/14, M/C 06/15/14

• I'm so glad you posted this question. I have been wondering the same thing. I need to start making more use of my Moby and Boba..
  • imageRegne:
    I'm so glad you posted this question. I have been wondering the same thing. I need to start making more use of my Moby and Boba..

Me, too. I need to start using the Moby more. That's a good idea, though, with the cover me. I had never heard of them. I'll have to look into them. 

• imageLalaMama81:
    imageirishprincess135:
    My car seat fits in the front of the cart where toddlers sit so I leave LO in there and push and I don't have to worry about anything!
    You aren't supposed to do this. It isn't safe and the carseats aren't meant to be used like that, regardless of whether they click in the cart or not. It makes the cart top heavy, it can tip over and babies have died.

Truth. If you want to have a really bad day, just google "baby dies carseat shopping cart" and you'll never do it again, I promise.

I did this once too, as I had seen tons of other moms do it at Target and I thought it was safe. Someone set me straight and I was moritfied I had thought the carseat was okay up there. Never, never again. If I bring the carseat in now, it goes in the big part of the shopping cart. Usually, though, I put him in the moby, or just hold him if it's going to be a real quick stop.

BabyFruit Ticker

• imagemichelle&paul:
    Those who baby wear... do you take care of this in the parking lot? Are any of you in colder climates? I just can't imagine trying to get her into the wrap while the snow and slush is coming down. Maybe I need to practice more.

To be honest I wore my two older children (as babies) into the store all the time, because they were summer babes.  DD2 is a winter babe, and yes I just bring her car seat into the store with me.  I wear her at home and out for walks, but I cannot get her from car to wrap without freezing her out and thus getting her screaming.  I think it is easier for summer newborns to get in and out of carriers for shopping.  I'd RATHER wear her than keep her in the car seat, but weather is not permitting. 

A suggestion might be to get in the car beside their seat and transfer them from seat to carrier IN the vehicle, but with three car seats in my truck that is not an option either.  Could work for Moms with space to sit beside the car seat though, and then throw your winter jacket back on and around the carrier/wrap.

• imagegnomemom:

imageLalaMama81:
    imageirishprincess135:
    My car seat fits in the front of the cart where toddlers sit so I leave LO in there and push and I don't have to worry about anything!
    You aren't supposed to do this. It isn't safe and the carseats aren't meant to be used like that, regardless of whether they click in the cart or not. It makes the cart top heavy, it can tip over and babies have died.

Truth. If you want to have a really bad day, just google "baby dies carseat shopping cart" and you'll never do it again, I promise.

I did this once too, as I had seen tons of other moms do it at Target and I thought it was safe. Someone set me straight and I was moritfied I had thought the carseat was okay up there. Never, never again. If I bring the carseat in now, it goes in the big part of the shopping cart. Usually, though, I put him in the moby, or just hold him if it's going to be a real quick stop.

You see so many people doing it, you think it's safe.  But as pp said, babies have died from this.  The only thing that stopped me before I knew better was that our car seat (Chicco Keyfit) wouldn't snap in and I remember actually being annoyed that it didn't, now I know why and am grateful!   

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"