Toddlers: 24 Months+

Flying - Car Seat? Cares? or neither?

Making first flight next month w/ our 2yr old DS.  4 hour flight.  He has his own seat.

We will be taking towncar to/from the airport to the hotel.  They provide a comp carseat, and we don't plan to go outside the hotel.  So not worried about the car portion of the trip.

Those that have experience flying would you suggest:

1. We take the car seat and use it on the plane.

2. Buy a Cares harness - though worried my little guy might just wiggle his way out the bottom of that.

3. Just buckle him in the seat. 

Thanks! 

Re: Flying - Car Seat? Cares? or neither?

• For me my DS, his car seat with 5 point harness was the best thing. He's familiar with, comfortable in it, knows not to fight it. I was glad he was confined, helped make a flights relatively painless.
    We never tried the other two options.
    Loving Life being Brett's Mama! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We have never used a car seat and DS always does fine.  Hard enough getting through the airport with a LO and couldn't imagine carrying a big car seat!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I have a radian which folds in half so it wasn't so bad through the airport.  We bought a strap to carry it with.  We needed the seat where we were going (I don't trust rental companies seats) and I didn't want to check the seat for fear of them damaging it.  DD was comfortable in it.  

I've seen the cares harness but don't love how it goes around the back of the seat.  I'm not sure if it would interfere with the passenger behind you or not.  If I didn't need my seat at my destination I think I'd be more apt to try the cares or go without anything.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • We use the Gogo Kidz thing in the airport to transport DD's carseat. DD rides in the seat, so we don't need a stroller. It's easy enough for DH to carry and install the seat on the plane. DD normally crashes out on the plane. I'm not sure if it's the overwhelming white noise, or that we normally get up early when we fly but she seriously sleeps almost every single time we fly. The one time we checked DD's carseat, the foam inside her seat got broken. One expensive mistake we'll never make again!
    imageimage
  • We used the car seat once at 16 months on our flight to Europe. It was a pain to drag on the plane and it leaves for very little room once the seat is installed. Plus DD only used it to sleep in it (which wasn't very much) and spent the rest of the time on me.  She does fine in the car seat in the car because she know ther isnt another choice (although once when I sat next to her in the back seat she was whiney and wanted out). Plus in the plane when she can get out it is nice to have a little room to have her stretch her legs and if you have a car seat ther will be no room to do that.  So we decided to never do that again. 

We still take it with us and gate check it (and use the GoGo Babyz) but we use the Cares  harness and have since she turned 2. I really like it. She stays in it pretty well and it makes it a little harder for her to unbuckle the seat belt (she can do it but I think it isn't as tempting for some reason). We have flown several times with it and it wasn't until the last time that she actually fell asleep in it. Usually not a problem because our flight are 2-3 hours but nice for the overseas flight. Initially she would just sleep on me. She knows that when the light is on she has to be buckled in and so far hasn't had any problems with it. 

Next week we will be traveling without the car seat for the first time when we go to San Fran. We will be taking a cab from the Airport to the hotel and back and the rest will be done on foot. Probably an unpopular opinion but we will be keeping her on our lap for the cab ride. I'm not taking a car seat just for a cab ride.

i think the Cares harness is a great idea if you fly regularly (plus you can pretty much sell them on eBay for close to what you bought it for new). And so far it has not ever interfered with the passenger behind us. Unless he is super squirmy he will probably be fine in just the seat belt.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagesucredee:
    We used the car seat once at 16 months on our flight to Europe. It was a pain to drag on the plane and it leaves for very little room once the seat is installed. Plus DD only used it to sleep in it which wasn't very much and spent the rest of the time on me. nbsp;She does fine in the car seat in the car because she know ther isnt another choice although once when I sat next to her in the back seat she was whiney and wanted out. Plus in the plane when she can get out it is nice to have a little room to have her stretch her legs and if you have a car seat ther will be no room to do that. nbsp;So we decided to never do that again.nbsp;We still take it with us and gate check it and use the GoGo Babyz but we use the Cares nbsp;harness and have since she turned 2. I really like it. She stays in it pretty well and it makes it a little harder for her to unbuckle the seat belt she can do it but I think it isn't as tempting for some reason. We have flown several times with it and it wasn't until the last time that she actually fell asleep in it. Usually not a problem because our flight are 23 hours but nice for the overseas flight. Initially she would just sleep on me. She knows that when the light is on she has to be buckled in and so far hasn't had any problems with it.nbsp;Next week we will be traveling without the car seat for the first time when we go to San Fran. We will be taking a cab from the Airport to the hotel and back and the rest will be done on foot. Probably an unpopular opinion but we will be keeping her on our lap for the cab ride. I'm not taking a car seat just for a cab ride.i think the Cares harness is a great idea if you fly regularly plus you can pretty much sell them on eBay for close to what you bought it for new. And so far it has not ever interfered with the passenger behind us. Unless he is super squirmy he will probably be fine in just the seat belt. nbsp;

FYI: many cabs, shuttles etc will not let you ride without a car seat since it's the law that children be in one. Not only the law, but I personally would never risk my child's safety for convenience. With all of the options out there, it's really not a hassle to take a car seat. I did it multiple times with just DS myself plus our carry ons, checked bags, personal items etc.
    Loving Life being Brett's Mama! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We, also, are traveling for the first time via airplane and we chose to go with bringing the carseat on board.  I think there are many factors, but my final deciders were safety and my lo's temperament.  If she is not strapped into that carseat she will find a way into the cockpit, for sure.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageEDWHIP:
    We, also, are traveling for the first time via airplane and we chose to go with bringing the carseat on board.  I think there are many factors, but my final deciders were safety and my lo's temperament.  If she is not strapped into that carseat she will find a way into the cockpit, for sure.

This is our situation exactly too.  We're getting a Cosco Scenara, just for the trip.  He wouldn't sit still in a CARES.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagebrettsmama:
    imagesucredee:
    We used the car seat once at 16 months on our flight to Europe. It was a pain to drag on the plane and it leaves for very little room once the seat is installed. Plus DD only used it to sleep in it which wasn't very much and spent the rest of the time on me. nbsp;She does fine in the car seat in the car because she know ther isnt another choice although once when I sat next to her in the back seat she was whiney and wanted out. Plus in the plane when she can get out it is nice to have a little room to have her stretch her legs and if you have a car seat ther will be no room to do that. nbsp;So we decided to never do that again.nbsp;We still take it with us and gate check it and use the GoGo Babyz but we use the Cares nbsp;harness and have since she turned 2. I really like it. She stays in it pretty well and it makes it a little harder for her to unbuckle the seat belt she can do it but I think it isn't as tempting for some reason. We have flown several times with it and it wasn't until the last time that she actually fell asleep in it. Usually not a problem because our flight are 23 hours but nice for the overseas flight. Initially she would just sleep on me. She knows that when the light is on she has to be buckled in and so far hasn't had any problems with it.nbsp;Next week we will be traveling without the car seat for the first time when we go to San Fran. We will be taking a cab from the Airport to the hotel and back and the rest will be done on foot. Probably an unpopular opinion but we will be keeping her on our lap for the cab ride. I'm not taking a car seat just for a cab ride.i think the Cares harness is a great idea if you fly regularly plus you can pretty much sell them on eBay for close to what you bought it for new. And so far it has not ever interfered with the passenger behind us. Unless he is super squirmy he will probably be fine in just the seat belt. nbsp;
    FYI: many cabs, shuttles etc will not let you ride without a car seat since it's the law that children be in one. Not only the law, but I personally would never risk my child's safety for convenience. With all of the options out there, it's really not a hassle to take a car seat. I did it multiple times with just DS myself plus our carry ons, checked bags, personal items etc.

It actually depends on the area but most cabs and shuttles do not require a seat because it is not required by law. Could you imagine if you lived in NYC and had to lug a car seat around so you could take a taxi? 

We traveled with the seat recently and it was great. We even had a two leg flight and had to change flights. No problem with using the seat on the plane. Easy to install and plenty of room. The seat is always installed in the window seat and DH and I had plenty of room. DS didn't try to get out and actually napped. 

We had planned to let the rental car co provide a seat but I was paranoid about it being dirty and after seeing the filth in the car we rented I was so glad we brought our own.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagebrettsmama:
    For me my DS, his car seat with 5 point harness was the best thing. He's familiar with, comfortable in it, knows not to fight it. I was glad he was confined, helped make a flights relatively painless. We never tried the other two options.

This is us.  My son has flown 6 times so far in his short life.  We've always brought his car seat along.  He's familiar with his car seat and knows that he has to be buckled in when he's in it.  It makes our plane flights so much easier.  

We have a Britax Marathon so it's pretty big.  It does fit on Southwest planes, although we have to raise up the armrest between the window and the middle seat.  It also doesn't fit through the x-ray machine so it has to be hand screened at security.

Oh, and one thing we learned several flights ago was that you can take those airport luggage carts through the security line.  We usually find one in the parking lot or in baggage claim.  It makes getting through the airport so much easier.

photo 8653f130-7264-42f4-8d67-9a73d64cacce_zps8c973e49.jpg

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #1 4/14/10. Big B born 12/28/10.

BFP #2 5/27/12. EDD 2/1/13. m/c and D&C 6/21/12.
  • Yea, that information is incorrect. Most cabs and shuttles DO NOT require a carseat. We live in NYC and have never been asked to use a carseat, plus it's stated in the laws. We also travel to Europe frequently and they have similar laws. We have an orbit baby toddler seat and that's compatible with the stroller base, so we just take those two, and gate check them both, never had an issue. We do not use the car seat on the plane as its already cramped on there. Also, given the number of people on the plane, I always try to accommodate her so that she's not crying. 

You said that you're not using a private car at your destination so it sounds like you'll be fine without the carseat.  

• for such a short flight, and if your car service has a carseat on the other side I definitely wouldn't bring one

just go with nothing or a CARES

I love our CARES, it keeps my toddler safetly strapped into her seat and contains her better than just a standard airplane seatbelt

I only put her in a carseat on a plane if I know she will sleep THE WHOLE TIME as by the time they are toddlers their legs are at JUST the right legth to kick the seat in front of them - NOT fun to hold their legs down the whole time :)

• [Next week we will be traveling without the car seat for the first time when we go to San Fran. We will be taking a cab from the Airport to the hotel and back and the rest will be done on foot. Probably an unpopular opinion but we will be keeping her on our lap for the cab ride. I'm not taking a car seat just for a cab ride.]

We just got back from SF and they are very strict with the carseat rule and CA is one of the strictest states when it come to carseat laws. The airport is also a good 25 minute drive with lots of traffic. Yes, our carseat was a pain, but I am so glad we took it. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"