June 2012 Moms

XP: fever/cough... ideas to help sleep

LO is almost 9 months and just got his first fever today :( He also has a cough. He has only had the cough at night so he's not sleeping well. His fever was at 102.1 and then I gave him some ibuprofen. After the ibuprofen it was 101.8 (taken rectally). I have the humidifier going in his room.

Is there anything else I can do to help him sleep? Anything other than humidifier and saline drops that might help the cough?

Also, at what temp would you call the doctor? Just trying to plan in case his fever gets worse.

Re: XP: fever/cough... ideas to help sleep

• I hope he gets well soon :(

When DD was sick with a fever I gave her tylenol to keep it down and a cool humidifier just as you did. I checked on her a few times at night and when she seemed warm I took her out of her sleep sack. Her fever wiped her out so she slept ok. Her fever was about 101-102. I called the Dr anyways and had her looked at and she ended up having a throat/ear infection.

I am a bit of an over-worrier so I personally would call regardless if his temp was still up in the morning. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I personally only call if the fever won't come down with ibuprofen or lasts longer than 3 days.  Kara always gets croup with every cold she gets and the ibuprofen helps a LOT with the cough, as it helps with the inflammation. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • if you are looking for additional suggestions:

-a bath or steam up the bathroom will help loosen him up, plus the nasal drops and snot sucker (bulb syringe).

Keep up the ibprofin to keep the fever down (our pedi said 102 for more than 3 days is when to call).

To help with sleeping we put a pillow under DS's mattress to put him on an incline and that seemed to help.

we also put vicks on his feet at night and that seemed to help too.

hope your LO feels better soon! 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

• Johnson and Johnson actually has a bubble bath that smells like Vicks that can loosen up some stuff (green bottle). Saline followed by snot sucker after was helpful although it was like torture for a poor little baby already not feeling well. Vicks on the feet (under socks), chest and back and upright sleeping are helpful. We bought a Vicks Vaporizer vs humidifier which seemed to help WAY more.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"