January 2013 Moms
Options

? about 6 week exam

For those who have had their 6 week postpartum exam: was the speculum painful? I am really, really irrationally afraid of getting this done. I had very minimal tearing but I have heard so many horror stories about sex at 6 weeks being painful. So, was your exam painful? Sore? Nbd?

Re: ? about 6 week exam

• Options
    Not painful at all. It felt a little awkward but there was no pain.

BPF 1. Baby Girl "Petri" 12/22/11 Said goodbye 12/27/11

BPF 2. Baby Boy "Roo" 1/20/12 Heartbeat 160b/m 2/15/12 Said goodbye 2/20/12

BPF 3. Rainbow Baby Boy "Creed"  4/28/12 Born healthy and alive 1/5/13

BFP 4. "Rainbow 2.0" 8/17/14 due 4/28/15

"Darling don't be afraid. I have loved you a thousand years. I love you a thousand more."

imageimageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    She didn't use a speculum just 2 fingers to palpate uterine placement. It was quick and painless.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Not painful at all, it felt like a regular visit.  I had a 1st degree tear.

My Blog: Sewing, crafting, motherhood, computers, and random musings... Sleep is for the weak

• Options

It was just as uncomfortable as it normally is, not really painful just annoying. I thought it was going to hurt but it really didn't. I had a 2nd degree tear. 

My scar area feels different because of the scar tissue but luckily it doesn't hurt at all, just a weird texture. My doctor said it's normal and I have been doing normal activities (working out, sex, etc.) for two weeks now.

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• Options
    My Dr. only used her fingers for the internal.
  • Options
    My doctor also used fingers and no speculum. I had two 2nd degree tears and an episiotomy AND my bladder has fallen and the exam didn't hurt at all! You will be just fine.
  • Options
    My OB didn't use a speculum at all. She just used 2 fingers, so no pain at all for me. Some brief discomfort, but no big deal.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I had an episiotomy and a 4th degree tear and it wasn't painful. I was nervous too but I was laying there talking to the nurse and hadn't even known that he inserted it. Don't worry!

""No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you're the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside."
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    "On the night you were born, the moon smiled with such wonder that the stars peeked in to see you and the night wind whispered "Life will never be the same." Because there had never been anyone like you... ever in the world." ~ Nancy Tillman Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    It was totally NBD, I had a 2nd degree and I thought it was no less uncomfortable than usual.
  • Options
    I didnt experience much pain. A little, but nothing bad. I also didn't find sex to be that painful either...just use lots of lube. 
  • Options
    A little uncomfortable but certainly not painful. I had a second degree tear, my OB used the speculum, and a week later I had a vaginal ultrasound (which also wasn't painful).
  • Options
    This time was NBD but after my first pregnancy and having a second degree tear, I remember it being pretty painful. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I WAS TERRIFIED of my appt. So much so that I rescheduled it three times.

My advice...TELL your practioner how scared you are about it. I did and she walked me through the whole thing and gave me some great tips...here are a few:

Relax your jaw.  If your jaw is relaxed, your perinium is as well.

Lay with your palms up. It's  harder for us to be anxious with our palms up.

Tell your practioner you'd like to 'bear down' with the speculum insertion. I know, I know...sounds CRAZY but it really did help. I didn't even feel it go in.

I had a second degree tear with about 20-30 minutes of stitches- which hadn't completely healed at the time of my exam.

GL - It'll be fine!

• Options

Hmm...am I the only one who didn't have an actual exam at my 6 week PP visit?

My OB said she'd really only need to do an exam if there were complications with my labor/delivery. I thought it was strange that she didn't need to examine me, but at the same time, I had an uncomplicated vaginal delivery with only a small superficial tear, so I didn't second guess her professional opinion.

We just went over how I was feeling and decided on PP birth control. That's about it. I go back for my annual pap in July.

• Options
    With DSes, no.

• Options

imagembredin:
    She didn't use a speculum just 2 fingers to palpate uterine placement. It was quick and painless.

This. It did feel a little strange, but in no way painful or uncomfortable.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"