Nurseries and Baby Gear

_XP Anyone LOVE their washer & dryer?

We have an early model (about 8 yrs old now) Whirlpool Duet front loader washer and dryer and we are starting to really dislike them.  Thinking about selling and getting something new.  

My only requirement is that it is NOT LG (We had a horrible experience with them in the past). I would consider front load or top load.

Reasons why we don't like ours:

-The mold issue is really getting bad.  I know this is a front loader thing, but we leave the door open all the time when it is not in use and it still grows mold.  I have to run a bleach cycle at least every other week to keep it from being nasty

-We moved and the washbin got off balance.  When we do wash the WHOLE house shakes.  Whirlpool came and looked and them and fixed them the best they could, but they are still bad (yes, they are not on a concrete slab - I am aware that causes more vibration).

-When we were in our townhouse we had a small laundry closet, so we stacked the units.  When the installer brought them, he switched the door around so it made sense stacked.  Now that they are side by side you have to pull stuff around the door.  Small thing, but super annoying.  The person who came to fix the off balance bin didn't know how to switch the door back to the other direction. 

Any recommendations are welcome! 

image image

BFP #2 7/18/11 - EDD 3/29/12 - Born 3/13/12
BFP #1 4/4/11 - Natural M/C - 7w1d - 4/30/11
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: _XP Anyone LOVE their washer & dryer?

• Lol, I was going to rec my LG! I like them because they are direct drive (and yours aren't), so you don't have the problem of it going off balance. And it is easy to replace the electronics if they go, it's located in a good spot and they come on boards so you don't need a repair guy if you're handy. I've never had to and mine are five years old and run perfectly. 

I also recommend Bosch, they are supposed to also last a long time, and same features as the LG frontloads. Next to that, Kenmore Elite frontloads, and it's hard to beat Sears extended warranty.

As to the mold problem, that is comon amongst front loads. It's your detergent and fabric softener. Use pods in the drum (free and clear variety over regular), or  soap nuts, your clothes will still get as clean. Swap out liquid fabric softener for vinegar in the cup, and use wool dryer balls or fabric softener sheets. Keep the rubber seal clear of gunk and leave the door open when it's not running.

• We have a Samsung front loader set and I really like them. It's the model with the touchscreen and you can control them with an app from the phone. The app kinda sucks and needs improvement, but I really like the touchscreen. You can pick your basic setting like normal or delicates then you can tweak the settings. You can change water temp, spin speed and add extra rinse cycles and stuff.
    It also tells you when you need to run the cleaning cycle. You can also save custom settings for future loads.
  • Loading the player...
  • imagegimmietimmies:
    Lol, I was going to rec my LG! I like them because they are direct drive and yours aren't, so you don't have the problem of it going off balance. And it is easy to replace the electronics if they go, it's located in a good spot and they come on boards so you don't need a repair guy if you're handy. I've never had to and mine are five years old and run perfectly.nbsp;I also recommend Bosch, they are supposed to also last a long time, and same features as the LG frontloads. Next to that, Kenmore Elite frontloads, and it's hard to beat Sears extended warranty. As to the mold problem, that is comon amongst front loads. It's your detergent and fabric softener. Use pods in the drum free and clear variety over regular, or nbsp;soap nuts, your clothes will still get as clean. Swap out liquid fabric softener for vinegar in the cup, and use wool dryer balls or fabric softener sheets. Keep the rubber seal clear of gunk and leave the door open when it's not running.

Humm I use tide free and clear and vinegar as fabric softener now. I'll have to try soap nuts!
    image image

BFP #2 7/18/11 - EDD 3/29/12 - Born 3/13/12
    BFP #1 4/4/11 - Natural M/C - 7w1d - 4/30/11
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• imageMrsJetSet:
    imagegimmietimmies:
    Lol, I was going to rec my LG! I like them because they are direct drive and yours aren't, so you don't have the problem of it going off balance. And it is easy to replace the electronics if they go, it's located in a good spot and they come on boards so you don't need a repair guy if you're handy. I've never had to and mine are five years old and run perfectly.nbsp;I also recommend Bosch, they are supposed to also last a long time, and same features as the LG frontloads. Next to that, Kenmore Elite frontloads, and it's hard to beat Sears extended warranty. As to the mold problem, that is comon amongst front loads. It's your detergent and fabric softener. Use pods in the drum free and clear variety over regular, or nbsp;soap nuts, your clothes will still get as clean. Swap out liquid fabric softener for vinegar in the cup, and use wool dryer balls or fabric softener sheets. Keep the rubber seal clear of gunk and leave the door open when it's not running.
    Humm I use tide free and clear and vinegar as fabric softener now. I'll have to try soap nuts!
    It is probably the tide. Try a phosphate free one. 
  • I have the basic Kenmore top loader and gas dryer (front loading). They are plain and don't really have a lot of features but they have an awesome warranty and I've had them a year now and have had no problems whatsoever. I've never had an off balance load, the dryer dries quickly and the washer does a good job getting the clothes clean.
  • My front loading Bosch's beep way too much for me to love them. They work very well, but they are very needy of attention when the cycles are finished.
    Married My Love on 6/18/2006
    BFP#1 10/1/2011. Our perfect little girl, Her heart stopped @ 12w1d. D&E 11/23/11
    BFP#2 3/13/12 Weird CP/Possible EP @ 6w0d
    BFP#3 5/28/12 CP @ 5w0d
    BFP/WTF#4 10/26/12 CP
    BFP#5 12/10/12 EDD 8/23/2013
    <3 Baby Boy Born 8/22/13 <3
     photo ellie.gifPhotobucket
  • I have had both the LG front loader( love love love it) In my previous home.  Now I have the Samsung Front loader.  I dont like it as much as the LG but honestly its not bad.  If I had to choose it would be the LG hands down.  I  never had a mold issue with either machine but maybe its because I wash so often I have 3 kids and one on the way!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"