January 2013 Moms
Options

I surrender

So I need to stop pumping... after a very stressful first month of trying BF, bruising, bleeding, tongue tie, nipple shields, needing to supplement bc of low supply, endless calls to the LC... then moving to pumping, only getting a quarter to a half ounce total each time, pumping every two hours around the clock to try and build supply, keeping track of calories and water intake, oatmeal, fenugreek, mothers milk tea and even nasty Guinness... to still only getting about half to one ounce total each pump for a total of about 6 or 7 ounces a day... it's time.

I'm just wondering the best way to do it. I've never been engorged or anything, though I'm sitting here after 12 hours of not pumping and my nipples are a little sore. I know you can wean off or quit cold turkey. I'm not producing very much at all so I'm hoping it doesn't take long. Does anyone have experience or advice?

Also... if anyone else has struggled with supply and still couldn't get their supply up after tons of effort... I read an interesting article on kellymom.com about lack of milk producing tissue... stemming from puberty. I'm really thinking this might be my problem. Look it up if you're curious... at least it's a possible answer to this crazy struggle....

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: I surrender

• Options

I have chronic low milk supply that they think is tied to insufficient glandular tissue.  In your case it's totally possible, but given your other issues that you mentioned it could just be that you got off to a rough start with the latching so your body didn't produce like it was supposed to.  I say this because it might go totally different for your next time! 

Anyway, I too went through a similar experience both times and was producing about the same amount of milk that you were and I quit cold turkey both times and couldn't even tell that I had stopped removing milk (i.e.. no leaking, engorgement, etc.).  With DS I stopped at 2 weeks because our efforts didn't increase my milk supply and he was dealing with nipple confusion to where he wouldn't take a bottle of formula.  With DD we stopped at 3 weeks because she just quit latching at that point.

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    I am so sorry you have had such a hard time with this! It sounds extremely stressful, and you should be proud if yourself for all the hard work you put in. Your LO is lucky to have such a great mommy. I hope you are not being too hard in yourself, this is a hard road. Here's to hoping it gets better.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I started supplementing with formula at 2 weeks. I continued to bf with every feeding up until last week. We had a day where we weren't home so I just gave her a bottle, then a couple feedings later she was crying and I wasn't patient enough to watch her get frusterated trying to get my boobs to work so I just gave her a bottle. This happened on and off through the weekend and now we are done with bf. It made me sad to see it not working any longer, but with all the problems I had with bf, I'm just happy to have given her 6 weeks. I felt no pain and no engorgement... I don't think I had much milk anyway. Good luck you tried everything and your lo will be just fine as a formula fed baby.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    OMG you sound just like me. I decided Monday I was giving up. I pretty much went cold turkey since I have a low milk supply anyway. I haven't been engorged but I have been a little sore so I put cabbage leaves on and it has helped a lot. I didn't want to give in, but it was time to throw in the towel. I much rather spend time with LO and enjoy being a mommy, instead of being frustrated and upset that im pumping every few hours for hardly anything. 
  • Options
    You can also take a dose of sudafed...pseudaphedrine...that reduces milk production
    In case you're worried about discomfort with quitting cold turkey.
    imageimageAnniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"