Two Under 2

advice wanted

I am not sure what to do with DS.  He will share a room with DD after our next baby is born; he'll be 16m when the baby arrives and about 19m when I'm ready to move the baby out of my room.  DS has to be moved into DDs room for me to get the baby out of my room. 

My quandary is that I don't know if I should move him into her room in a crib or move him into a twin bed like she has. 

My worry is that he would be like a fish in a barrel and if she threw toys in 'to' him he could be hurt or if she climbed into the crib with him he could be hurt.  She is pretty rough with him and while we are working on teaching her it's still a fact that she's rough even with her love.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: advice wanted

• Mobile bumping so not sure how far along you are now but how's he doing in the crib now? Trying to get out at all? I would say 19 months is a good time to switch him to a big boy bed with rails especially if you are planning on putting new baby into his crib and saving some money on a crib. Of course, my DS was climbing out at 13 months so I may be in the minority on this!! GL
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Totally up to you and you'll get mixed answers on here.  I moved DD1 to a big girl bed at 16 months (DD2 arrived when DD1 was 18 months).  She was not showing signs of being ready for a big girl bed (not climbing out) and she was sleeping well in her crib.  I just moved her and had no problems.  The transition was more for me than her.  

I'll move DD2 in with DD1 into a big girl bed in April.  She will be 16 months when the move happens.  We bough the 2nd big girl bed and set it up in DD1's room last month.  I wanted DD1 to get used to having another piece of furniture in her room so when DD2 moves in she will only have to eat used to sharing.  DD2 also benefits from having the bed in there by learning how to safely climb in and out.  

We have also started talking about Sharing a room.  DD2 is too young but DD1 is 2.5 and understands more.  I told her it will be like mommy and daddy sharing a room.  She go really excited and now knows that the 2nd bed is for her sister.  

I think there is lots of uncertainty but sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and make the move that's best for your family.  Personally we decided to move the girls before the next baby arrives.  I'd rather deal with one transition at a time and get the kinks worked out before dealing with a baby.  I would even consider moving your DS into the shared room at 15 months so he has a few weeks to get used to the bed before the baby arrives. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Sorry for the errors in my post.  
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageQmommy:

Totally up to you and you'll get mixed answers on here.  I moved DD1 to a big girl bed at 16 months (DD2 arrived when DD1 was 18 months).  She was not showing signs of being ready for a big girl bed (not climbing out) and she was sleeping well in her crib.  I just moved her and had no problems.  The transition was more for me than her.  

I'll move DD2 in with DD1 into a big girl bed in April.  She will be 16 months when the move happens.  We bough the 2nd big girl bed and set it up in DD1's room last month.  I wanted DD1 to get used to having another piece of furniture in her room so when DD2 moves in she will only have to eat used to sharing.  DD2 also benefits from having the bed in there by learning how to safely climb in and out.  

We have also started talking about Sharing a room.  DD2 is too young but DD1 is 2.5 and understands more.  I told her it will be like mommy and daddy sharing a room.  She go really excited and now knows that the 2nd bed is for her sister.  

I think there is lots of uncertainty but sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and make the move that's best for your family.  Personally we decided to move the girls before the next baby arrives.  I'd rather deal with one transition at a time and get the kinks worked out before dealing with a baby.  I would even consider moving your DS into the shared room at 15 months so he has a few weeks to get used to the bed before the baby arrives. 

My Mom suggested making the move to sharing the room about 1 month before also.  I was pretty set on just moving him into a regular bed but then a friend gave us her nice crib with mattress for $50.  So now I have the choice of moving him in in either a crib or a bed.  

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• If it was me, I'd keep him in the crib for a while longer after the new LO comes if he isn't trying to climb out.  I prefer to keep them contained as long as possible.  Also, if he is difficult to transition to a bed I wouldn't want to deal with that in the middle of the night while taking care of a newborn.

My girls have shared a room since DD2 was 7 months old (DD2 was in our room for the first 7 months).  DD1 has never bothered DD2 in her crib and she really understands that she has to be quiet while DD2 is sleeping.  I thought it was going to be a nightmare and it has been totally fine.

photo a42489fa-98a3-436b-b31b-266d7d204e5d_zpsde5f201a.jpg
    my read shelf:
    Molly's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary
  • For us 19 months was too young to move to a twin/toddler bed.  DS3 is around that age and we are no where near moving him out of his crib!  We don't have toys in their room, so that probably helps.  I do agree that if there are toys in there your DD might think it's fun to throw things in there.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
  • imagediana.filipi:
    imageQmommy:

Totally up to you and you'll get mixed answers on here.  I moved DD1 to a big girl bed at 16 months (DD2 arrived when DD1 was 18 months).  She was not showing signs of being ready for a big girl bed (not climbing out) and she was sleeping well in her crib.  I just moved her and had no problems.  The transition was more for me than her.  

My Mom suggested making the move to sharing the room about 1 month before also.  I was pretty set on just moving him into a regular bed but then a friend gave us her nice crib with mattress for $50.  So now I have the choice of moving him in in either a crib or a bed.  

I would go for a twin that is low to the ground.  But if you're uncomfortable with that idea then get a crib.  Or you can try just having the crib mattress on the floor to see how he does and if it's not working get a crib.  As far as containing him in a big boy bed, close the bedroom door.  I keep all toys in the closet and rigged a lock so there are no toys (other than their cuddle bears) available during nap and bed times.   DD1 took a few naps on the hardwood floor but quickly learned that her bed was more comfortable.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"