Breastfeeding

20 month old and weaning

Hi everyone,

My son is 20 months and he still nurses when he wakes in the morning and going to sleep at night. Both sessions are short but they are regular nonetheless. If I was to try to have a second child I would have to take medication that would not be safe to take while breastfeeding so I have a dilemna.

Could the benefit still be so great to my son, even at 20 months, that I shouldn't even consider weaning him to try to have a second child? Obviously, no one can make that decision for us, but I'd love to hear others' thoughts or experiences. Thanks!

My Blog (that is not really about eating in the shower)

Re: 20 month old and weaning

• At 20 months, you have given your son a wonderful gift no matter what you decide. Breastfeeding is a relationship with two people, and it  has to work for you as well as  him. If having another child is a priority, it's okay to move in that direction and wean if you so desire. There are always advantages to continuing - but a lot of them at this point are emotional, and you can choose to meet those needs in other ways.

I'm still bf-ing a 22 month old, and I'm pregnant. It's the right move for us, for now, but I'm open to things changing for either one of us and it being time to wean. We shall see how it goes! For now, the balance is still in favour of breastfeeding. We get more out than I feel I'm giving up.

• imagetokenhoser:

At 20 months, you have given your son a wonderful gift no matter what you decide. Breastfeeding is a relationship with two people, and it  has to work for you as well as  him. If having another child is a priority, it's okay to move in that direction and wean if you so desire. There are always advantages to continuing - but a lot of them at this point are emotional, and you can choose to meet those needs in other ways.

I'm still bf-ing a 22 month old, and I'm pregnant. It's the right move for us, for now, but I'm open to things changing for either one of us and it being time to wean. We shall see how it goes! For now, the balance is still in favour of breastfeeding. We get more out than I feel I'm giving up.

Thanks for such good insight! If there was any way that I could keep going with him and still have another I would but you're right, it is more about bonding and comfort at this point.

My Blog (that is not really about eating in the shower)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"