Natural Birth
Options

Multiple Ultrasounds

I don't post over here often, but I thought that maybe you ladies could help. Does anyone know of any scientific studies addressing the safety of multiple ultrasounds? I've had 4 already (in the ER at 4 weeks, NT scan, anatomy scan, and a growth scan). My MW wants to send me for another growth scan in 2 weeks, and she says that they do them every 3 weeks after that. That's potentially 3 more scans, and I'm a bit leery about it. I asked her if it was safe to keep zapping the baby and she said, "Well there aren't any studies that say it's not safe." That's not the same as saying that it is safe, so I don't know what to do. 

Oh, the reason that she wants to keep sending me for scans is because I have been measuring (with a tape measure) 4-7 weeks ahead. I know that the scans can be off by 0.5-1 pound either way, so I asked my MW if the scan could be wrong. She said, "Well she doesn't feel small." I'm nervous now because I'm afraid that I'm going to get to 40 weeks with a 12lb baby and end up with a c-section. If that's the case, then I think that I would rather know ahead of time and maybe get my membranes stripped or some other natural induction method early so that I can deliver vaginally. Would you ladies get the scans?

Re: Multiple Ultrasounds

• Options

Was your LO on-track, size-wise, at your most recent growth scan? If so I'd ask why you couldn't wait until 38 weeks to do another. She won't (and definitely shouldn't, for any reason) be talking induction before 39 weeks anyway, so I'm unsure what information she'd be looking for between now and then. 

Lid suggest having another scan between 38-39 weeks (only if you want to) and if LO is still somewhere near on track, just let him/her come on his/her own.  

Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagemeltoine:
    Was your LO ontrack, sizewise, at your most recent growth scan?

She was 95th percentile and they said measuring a week ahead. I'm trying to have as few interventions with this baby as possible.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I would likely ask to have the next scan later, if possible. I don't think u/s itself is harmful.

Do you have GD?

• Options
    I had concerns about the overuse of ultrasounds (like, 3 and 4d keepsake ultrasounds) and dopplers (at home) when I was pg with DD. Everyone on here was like "yay! I get to have an extra u/s just for fun!" (obviously generalizing here). I did some research and didn't find anything that said they were definitely safe. My question is, what good would it do to keep doing them so often? Just to say "yep, it's getting bigger"? They won't or probably shouldn't take a large baby earlier than 39 wks.

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

I usually would say no to more u/s, but if your baby has been consistently measuring large, I would get one around now so you have an earlier point of reference. The later it is, the less accurate it'll be.

You might have high amniotic fluid levels or something. And just because she might be measuring big, doesn't mean induction is the best bet. Induction isn't recommended for suspected macrosomia. 

I wouldn't worry about having too many u/s either. I dunno, I never had many during either of my pregnancies, but meh. 

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options
    Saying that we don't know it's unsafe is really the best we've got at this point because of the challenges of designing longitudinal studies on this issue. And it would be even harder to find that absolute point where the risks of excess ultrasounds outweigh the benefits. But we know that moderate use of ultrasound doesn't seem to be correlated to any problems we can identify.

I had a similar circumstance because my DD has a heart defect that they identified prenatally, and the pediatric cardiologist I saw wanted me to come in for fetal echocardiograms every four weeks. Echos are ultrasounds. However, there really wasn't much he could do with that information so I decided to get just three echos ... the first, diagnostic one at 20 weeks, a second one at 28 weeks and the final one at about 36 weeks.

Growth scans every three weeks sound frequent to me ... So the question is whether you can spread them out and still get the necessary information. The question of whether you need that information at all is really up to you.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

This article has a lot of links to various studies regarding ultrasound:

https://chriskresser.com/natural-childbirth-iib-ultrasound-not-as-safe-as-commonly-thought

I dunno. There really haven't been any reliable, long term studies on the safety of prenatal ultrasounds, so we just don't know. From the 1920's through to the 1950's, routine use of x-rays in pregnancy to check for size and abnormalities was considered safe and normal. It wasn't until a study in 1955 linked an increase in childhood leukemia to the mothers having been x-rayed during pregnancy. So for thirty odd years, babies were radiated and everyone thought it was perfectly safe. So with ultrasound, I just don't think we know yet.

When my mom was pregnant in with me in 1980, she had one ultrasound at 20 weeks, and many women she knew had none. It's just becoming so common now and it makes sense that the potential for overuse and harm is there.

Also, the odds of your ending up with a 12 pound baby are really slim. I wouldn't worry and if it was me, I'd skip the scans. That said, I've chosen not to have any ultrasounds done in my 33 weeks of pregnancy, so of course I'd skip them :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I had over 20 ultrasounds with DS1 and I'll have 11 total with this LO. As long as they are done for medical use, the benefits probably outweigh any [if there is any] negatives.

FWIW, DS1 is a very happy and healthy 16 month old and I have no concerns about this LO as well.

• Options

If your medical provider believes there is a need, and you agree with their practices, rest well knowing you are doing the best thing for you and your baby.

The problem with all the drugs and ultrasounds that surround pregnancy and birth is that in the short term they do look safe. We have healthy, active babies and everything is good. But look at medical info now. People don't wake up at 55 and have cancer, it started with one mutated cell that grew, reproduced, changed again, etc. What we do and are exposed to early in life can cause long term issues. So they may never say ultrasounds carry no risks, after 50 years of life everything is a correlation and you couldn't pinpoint ultrasound use inutero with something like that. They could with x-rays. Those kids were under 7 and the probability of x-rays being the cause was more easiliy determined.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I'm a sonographer and repeat ultrasounds are very safe. The system is set to keep transmit power to a minimum on OB studies. I personally had a high risk pregnancy with my son and I was scanned every 2 weeks my first two trimesters and then weekly the last. But at the end of the day, it is what YOU are comfortable with.

• Options
    I've been getting growth scans too, not for the same reason, but I had the dating scan, NT scan, anatomy scan, and have had 4 additional on top of those, and will have at least one if not two more. I've read that they are less accurate as time goes on (to measure size), but if it means that nobody is worried that my baby is getting enough nutrients and is growing fine and she is healthy, and I get to stick with my midwife and my home birth, then I think it is worth it. There really is no way to say if anything is 100% safe, and I see it as less of a risk than I take every time I get in a car (which has more known risks). 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"