Working Moms

Accounting professionals- corporate

I have always worked in the GL of Corporate Acct'g (sr level in the past 5 yrs).  I was offered a position today as an AP supervisor for a large corporation.  I have minimum experience in AP and I'm intrigued to learn a different aspect.

Pay is only slightly more (about 8%).  I am having a conflict with this.   I realize the pay for employees is also significantly less than the GL pays.  Often the employees are non-degreed. My other conflict is the high turnover in AP which is probably related to the salary.

Does anyone have experience with this and can offer words of advice?  I need to make a decision tonight/tomorrow a.m. to tell the recruiter. 

Perks are casual Fridays, title, exposure and 15 min less commute. Benefits are comparable.  I'm a little afraid I may be putting in add'l hrs. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Accounting professionals- corporate

• My DH and I work in the same field. My first thought is that an AP supervisor is not as title significant as sr accountant or accounting GL manager.  Those are just my first thoughts.  If you believe this is a step in the right direction for career growth, then it's a good decision. If you think it will hinder your options for growth, then a small pay increase isn't worth the change. Not putting down the position or the responsibilities, just thinking through career growth. 
  • imagemcanant:
    My DH and I work in the same field. My first thought is that an AP supervisor is not as title significant as sr accountant or accounting GL manager.  Those are just my first thoughts.  If you believe this is a step in the right direction for career growth, then it's a good decision. If you think it will hinder your options for growth, then a small pay increase isn't worth the change. Not putting down the position or the responsibilities, just thinking through career growth. 

I'm also struggling with this. The recruiter is trying to persuade me the title will open more options in the large company to move around. I just keep thinking if I were a GL sup, the pay and respect would be much more significant. Ugh, decisions. 

• Loading the player...
  • As an accountant I understand your concerns. Are you interested in managing people? If so, could this be a good opportunity for experience to open other doors later? Are there other opportunities at your current company to get management experience?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagelinds0130:
    As an accountant I understand your concerns. Are you interested in managing people? If so, could this be a good opportunity for experience to open other doors later? Are there other opportunities at your current company to get management experience?

I supervised 4 ppl before and actually have enjoyed the sr level more at 'effin off' if needed (i.e.: bumping at work). There are no opportunities to advance at my current position. My Sup hates me but at the same time has turned a 180 in the past 2 mo being extremely nice (still won't advance me) that is making the decision harder.

I appreciate your response. It gives me more to think about. I'm thinking mn'g ppl will look better on my resume and give me more opp down the road.

• I think it depends on your company.  As pp noted, most people in AP aren't degreed and there is higher turnover. At my company, being AP manager is as far as you can move up in AP.  However, people that work on the GL side often move up to other positions in the company. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I started out as an AP clerk in my accounting career and realized that once your resume says AP that is the only position people assume you are capable of. In my experience there is no further growth in that department other than the AP manager which is not bad if that is ALL you are striving for. 
    TTC#2 Since September 2010 with MFI - Me: 36 DH:35
    11/12: IVF ICSI #1 - BFN
    05/13 - Started IVF ICSI #2 - Menupor/Follistim/Trigger
    6/17/13 ER - 7 Retrieved, 6 matured, 4 fertilized
    6/20/13 ET - 2 transferred 0 to freeze
    7/3/13 Beta #1 = 174!  7/7/13 Beta #2 = 414!
    7/15/13 U/S #1 - Can't wait!!

• imagemcanant:
    My DH and I work in the same field. My first thought is that an AP supervisor is not as title significant as sr accountant or accounting GL manager.  Those are just my first thoughts.  If you believe this is a step in the right direction for career growth, then it's a good decision. If you think it will hinder your options for growth, then a small pay increase isn't worth the change. Not putting down the position or the responsibilities, just thinking through career growth. 

This is good advice for any field for work. Also remember, recruiters are salesmen. They will always make it sound better than it is... not calling them liars but it's their job to show make a position/company in it's best light. Do as much research as you can and also require and informational interview with your potential direct manager and a direct report if possible.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"