Baby Showers
Options

Sprinkles....

These seem to be the new hot thing around here...that and freakin' sip and sees (don't get my started).

That said. I have a close friend who is pregnant with her second girl. Most sprinkles I've been to have been for those who have a second baby of a different gender. What is the protocol on sprinkles? I'd like to throw her something but don't want to be obnoxious.

Thoughts? TIA! You guys are my favorite board on TB! 

imageimage

Olivia and Matilda, 09/10/201 - Graham, 10/01/2013

Re: Sprinkles....

• Options

Protocol is not to do them at all, but

keep it very small, preferably people who weren't also at the first shower (except grandmas)

no registry

no games

If you want to do something special, pay for a prenatal massage, or take her to lunch, go shopping for the new baby, just the two of you.  You don't have to throw a party to do something nice.  Put the money you would have spent on a sprinkle into a gift for the new baby, or a savings bond - something that's just from you.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Yeah I don't know what is up with them...but where I live they are all the rage. I've been to FOUR this year alone...(and yes, I know it's only February!)

This is great advice though! Definitely less pressure, but still doing something nice! Thanks. 

imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • Options

You're very welcome!  Two year old twins and KU again (congratulations) you have your hands full!  It's really sweet that you want to do something for your friend with all that you have going on!  :) 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Well she has been there for me since day 1...through all the infertility stuff, DH not having a job, unexpected pg #2. We've been best friends since first year of college...

And while I know showers aren't tit for tat...she did throw me the most PERFECT shower ever...and I really appreciated that...

imageimage

• Options

Just don't make it tacky like this silly idea:

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/72312643.aspx

Yeah, let me pay for a limo, mani/pedi, lunch AND a pack of pampers. That's just what I want to spend my money on for a friend. ::eyeroll::

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    image526SadieSadie:

Protocol is not to do them at all, but

keep it very small, preferably people who weren't also at the first shower (except grandmas)

no registry

no games

If you want to do something special, pay for a prenatal massage, or take her to lunch, go shopping for the new baby, just the two of you.  You don't have to throw a party to do something nice.  Put the money you would have spent on a sprinkle into a gift for the new baby, or a savings bond - something that's just from you.

This! 

BabyFetus Ticker; Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options

Ok, so I must know: Why do you dislike Sip n' Sees? I think they are a lot of fun!

It is my understanding that a Sprinkle is a small, very small shower. It is usually at handful of people and minimal registry. As always, gifts are optional.  

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options

I've gone to a few sprinkles and to me they very similar to a shower.  The ones I've attended had no formal invites (just email), no registry, small group of people (7), and I'm almost positive that the only person there that had gone to the orginal shower for the MTBs were their mothers.  Most gifts were diapers, wipes and outfits for the baby.  I don't think it makes a difference as to whether the MTB is having another boy/girl but it is definitely important that someone hosts the sprinkle other then the MTB or DTB.

As for Sip and See's, which to me are the same as "Meet the Baby" parties except more like an open house concept...I don't have any issue wiith.  Not everyone lives close to relatives and friends and it is a great way to get everyone together at one time to see the new additional to the family.  We included a "Meet the Baby" with our annual BBQ.  Since my #2 and #3 were born in the Spring it was nice to have all the family (and friends) get together to see them.  The next get-together would not have been until November.  Obviously grandparents we see often but not extended family.  Worked out for us.  We didn't have baby-type decor or anything although I did get a cake with their pictures on it.  Some people brought gifts of diapers, outfits...but not everyone did.  I just put them in another room and opened them after the BBQ (unless someone insisted on me opening "their" gift).  Sip and See's as well as Meet the Baby parties are just that - - parties.  They are not gift giving events. 

• Options

It completely depends on your circle and family, people have obnoxiously adamant "Don't do them" opinions on here but if they are big in your area than no harm no foul.

No registry info should be included, whether the baby is a different sex or not. IMO a sprinkle should be a relaxing event for mom, let her get out of the hustle and bustle of being a parent for a few hours and enjoy herself among friends and very close family. Something small and intimate, maybe a light brunch.

Proud babywearing, breastfeeding, vaccinating SAHM of 2U2!
    imageLilypie - (qCSN)Lilypie - (5rzN)imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    I myself had two showers, same gender babies & a lot of same guests. My first born passed away at two months & there just wasn't room to store all of his things for next baby even if it hadn't been a grief issue. On top of that some of what we stored didn't take well to storage. All I had for my new baby was literally a dresser full of onsies that made me cry every time I looked at them. It was pretty much like starting over and after all of the pain of my previous losses it meant so very much to be able to celebrate life. Kind of coming full circle. I know it goes against convention but I have strong belief that EVERY birth should be celebrated. This is one etiquette rule that I firmly disagree with. Then again where I come from second showers are also very common and more often then not even first showers are pretty informal.
    BFP 4/3/07 EDD 11/23/07 MC 7/20/07 Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    imageStina2012:

Yeah, let me pay for a limo, mani/pedi, lunch AND a pack of pampers. That's just what I want to spend my money on for a friend. ::eyeroll::

My post lol

• Options
    imagebrittbronkowski:
    imageStina2012:

lmao I don't think she was serious. I should hope not. But I still think it'd make for a good movie lol! 

I still think Carolyn should hit up the producers of the hangover and pitch it lmao 

ETA: Or was it Bridesmaids? 

• Options
    Thanks for all the input everyone! I think i may just do a brunch with our group of friends :)

imageimage

• Options
    imageclizh:
    imagebrittbronkowski:
    imageStina2012:

lmao I don't think she was serious. I should hope not. But I still think it'd make for a good movie lol! 

I still think Carolyn should hit up the producers of the hangover and pitch it lmao 

Oh good, maybe you were joking! If you are joking, then I think Melissa McCarthy needs to be in this for realz. And puppies need to be favors again!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageStina2012:
    imageclizh:
    imagebrittbronkowski:
    imageStina2012:

Oh good, maybe you were joking! If you are joking, then I think Melissa McCarthy needs to be in this for realz. And puppies need to be favors again!

Haha no I'll own up, I wasn't joking ;) I was dead serious. The way I thought about it though, the host would be paying for everything, just like a normal shower (the guests don't foot the bill, they would get an invite and bring a pack of diapers) Having guests pay would be tacky... I didn't realize anyone would take it like that. I can't wait for one of my friends to get KTFU again because I am totally doing this for them!

Yes! Melissa McCarthy is the sh!t! I still think this is a fantastic movie idea lol

• Options
    They are common now where I am. I'm not a huge fan but honestly if you are a good friend of mine, i will be getting your baby a gift anyway so why not at a sprinkle.
    I think they should be very small. More than 15 people is crass, IMO.
    No registry.
    No mandated gifts, period. People seem to think this is more acceptable for a 2nd but it is not.

I have 3 sprinkles coming up. They invited everyone they know, which is so gift grabby to me.

With that said my gifts are
    1. A matching plate, bowl and cup set
    2. NB dipes and burp rags
    3. Homemade detergent and a cloth swim diaper.

I spend way less and do not go off of any registries for second or third baby showers.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    imagebrittbronkowski:
    imageclizh:
    imageStina2012:
    imageclizh:
    imagebrittbronkowski:
    imageStina2012:

Haha no I'll own up, I wasn't joking ;) I was dead serious. The way I thought about it though, the host would be paying for everything, just like a normal shower (the guests don't foot the bill, they would get an invite and bring a pack of diapers) Having guests pay would be tacky... I didn't realize anyone would take it like that. I can't wait for one of my friends to get KTFU again because I am totally doing this for them!

Yes! Melissa McCarthy is the sh!t! I still think this is a fantastic movie idea lol

omg Melissa mc carthy lmao. She would have to be mtb. Lol 

Can you imagine her as a MTB?! OMG she would be freaking hilarious!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"