October 2012 Moms
Options

"4 month wakeful" actually RSV

So I have had a horrible month so far, both LO and I have both been sick with a cold that won't die and LO has been getting up every two hours at night and not napping much during the day for three weeks straight. I thought this was just standard 4 month wakeful stuff, but we are all still sick and she started developing a productive cough so I took her to the doctor today and found out she has RSV.

So all those night wakings (minus the one glorious day I mistakenly jinxed by posting about it) were more than likely because she's been sick and miserable. So all the sleep training stuff I've been trying to do (drop the swaddle, transition to crib sleep) have probably just thrown her for a loop instead of helping her. Ugh.

All of the suggestions that the doctor recommended to help her sleep are things we have already been doing (sleeping at an incline, humidifier, nasal aspirator with saline drops before bed) and she still wakes up all night. Because she's been so fussy, she screams when anyone other than me tries to put her to sleep, so it's been all me for every single waking, and it's reaching a point where my sleep deprivation is getting dangerous. I'm making mistakes while driving (missing the roads I need to turn on, turning into the wrong lane in a 2-lane turn, etc.) and I don't know how I'm going to keep going without any sleep. Anyone else been through RSV yet? Please, for the love of God, someone tell me that after three weeks we should be starting to see the end of this thing.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: "4 month wakeful" actually RSV

• Options
    Both my boys have had it, one worse than the other. The pediatrician told me (and this was my experience, as well) that it's approximately a 10 day disease, with days 5-7 being the worst. It's not "officially" RSV until the cough goes into the chest, so don't beat yourself up feeling like LO's had RSV for weeks and you've been a terrible mother. LO most likely had a cold that gradually turned into RSV from the sound of it, which is how it happened with my first baby. Days 5-7 were indeed the worst of it (watch for struggling to breathe, wheezing) and then each day got progressively better. His sleep was miserable during that time, and both of them were collectively sick with various things for 6 weeks (that included colds, ear infections, other non-RSV stuff, so don't panic!) and the sleep deprivation was ROUGH. ROUGH. You're in the thick of it and it sucks, I'm sorry. Count day 1 as the day you noticed LO's cough going into the chest and see where you're at now. LO should be feeling LOADS better by day 8.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Oh God. That means we're only on day 3 of RSV. I want to cry.

On the bright side (if there is one), I made DH watch LO while I finished pumping last night because she was clearly stuffed up and inconsolable so I just couldn't deal, and she screamed the entire time, as expected (although what DH was trying to do to console her I have absolutely no idea, he was just sitting there holding her and watching TV). When I finally went back upstairs to take her, she calmed down and then slept all night.

Does it make me a bad mom that I now think I should make DH watch her every night to make her cry uncontrollably for an hour if it means she'll actually sleep at night?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"