1st Trimester

Is a CNM okay?

She is also an APRN and MSN... I didn't Google what those are. But my question is if it's recommended to just have a nurse even if she is a delivery nurse? I went with the person who could get me in at a time that worked for my schedule, but when I looked her up online I was surprised to see that she isn't a doctor. Thoughts/ experience/ expertise? First time mama-to-be here! :-) TYIA!

Me: 29 / Hubster: 31
Married July 2010
DC #1 Oct 2013
DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Is a CNM okay?

• She is a nurse who became a certified midwife.  She is totally capable of handling a normal, healthy delivery.
    Boy 10.6.13
    Labored at freestanding birth center using hypnobirthing techniques
    Delivered via csection
  • Thanks, ladies. I am not going to be giving birth at home. Just wanted to be sure.

Married July 2010
    DC #1 Oct 2013
    DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • imagelittle_bren:
    Thanks, ladies. I am not going to be giving birth at home. Just wanted to be sure.
    She'd be able to handle that, too (she might not do it, but she'd be able).  Just FYI :)
    Boy 10.6.13
    Labored at freestanding birth center using hypnobirthing techniques
    Delivered via csection
  • imageCDMay2006:
    She is a nurse who became a certified midwife.  She is totally capable of handling a normal, healthy delivery.

Ditto this.

Beyond that, CNMs have better outcomes statistically than OB's for healthy low risk births. And it's important to mention that in most countries (many of whom who have better maternal-fetal outcomes than the US) healthy pregnant women only see CNMs. OBs are for high risk situations. 

Six years of infertility and loss, four IUIs, one IVF and one very awesome little boy born via med-free birth 10.24.13.
  • imageGhostMonkey:

imagelittle_bren:
    Thanks, ladies. I am not going to be giving birth at home. Just wanted to be sure.
    WTF does that have to do with anything?

I suggest you step away from TB a little and give Google a try. Learn what those letters mean. Read up a little on what they do.

Attempt to educate yourself just a bit.

A PP said it should be fine if I am planning to give birth in a hospital to which I replied that I am.

I mentioned to a friend IRL that I ended up with a CNM and she told me that if I wanted an epidural, I should make an appt with a doctor. I plan to do more research, but haven't had the chance yet.  Thanks, GM, for the faith and for being as sweet as usual. Are you KU or just blowing by to scathe who you can?

ETA: I am planning to keep my appointment and I'm sure she'll be great.  I'm not sure that what my friend told me is correct, but, yes, I will research it... obviously. Just wanted a few quick opinions. 

ETA for wording, also. 

Married July 2010
    DC #1 Oct 2013
    DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

• imagekrptcmschfmkr128:
    imagelittle_bren:
    imageGhostMonkey:

imagelittle_bren:
    WTF does that have to do with anything?

I suggest you step away from TB a little and give Google a try. Learn what those letters mean. Read up a little on what they do.

Attempt to educate yourself just a bit.

A PP said it should be fine if I am planning to give birth in a hospital to which I replied that I am.

I mentioned to a friend IRL that I ended up with a CNM and she told me that if I wanted an epidural, I should make an appt with a doctor. I plan to do more research, but haven't had the chance yet.  Thanks for the faith and for being as sweet as usual.

I got an epi and DD was delivered by a midwife... I don't know if she needed to get a write off from a doctor in the hospital affiliated with her practice, but I was able to get it.

Yeah, it sounds a little odd and incorrect. If I was in a hospital why in hell wouldn't I be able to get an epidural? I'm just used to traditional doctors is all, but I'm sure she will be fine.

Married July 2010
    DC #1 Oct 2013
    DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

• Last time I checked, this board is full of newly pregnant people and there tend to be minor freak outs on here especially because many of our pregnancies are secret thus far and it's nice to have a sounding board of people who are in the same boat even if the question or concern is totally normal or turns out to be silly. 

Married July 2010
    DC #1 Oct 2013
    DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"