Parenting after a Loss
Options

So I feel like I need to change my SN

My SN is (obviously) my name and first initial of my maiden name.  I work in a big city and try not to get too into personal details on TB...but let's face it, we all do to some extent.  That's what being part of the community it about.

Today a younger co-worker shared that she just found out that her 8 week pregnancy is over, and she is waiting to miscarry.  Having had a loss at 8 week, I totally know where she is coming from and what she is feeling.  We had a good cry together and I tried to prepare her for what she might experience.  I also directed her to the mc/pl board for support from women who know what she is going through right now, and for information.

After leaving her office, I had the most selfish thought -- what if she "finds" me on TB?  If she clicks onto this board, and sees my siggy...it is pretty obvious that I'm me, if you know what I mean.  And you can see that I post during the work day, which is kind of not great for co-workers to know. 

One more reason to not like social media.

Has anyone experienced this before?  Am I overreacting or being super self-centered if I try to change my SN?  Thoughts?

BFP #1 5/2010 - Missed m/c at 8 weeks
BFP #2 2/2011
Baby G welcomed with love and relief 10/2011
Surprise BFP 1/8/2013...say what? Baby A arrived 9/2013

Motherhood is not for wimps

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: So I feel like I need to change my SN

• Options

You can email Bump Kathleen to change your SN. I considered changing mine because it was too much info about me but then I decided to remove my location.

DS born 2009
    BFP#2 ~ 8/2/11, EDD 4/11/12, D&C 9/12/11 at 9w5d
    BFP#3 ~ 4/15/12, EDD 12/21/12 ~ DD born 12/22/12
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    That's why my sn has nothing to do with my irl name and I've not included my sons name or picture. Granted someone could go by my anniversary date ::numbers in my sn::, ds birthday or my location ...but most don't have the time for that.

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imageJunebug060609:
    That's why my sn has nothing to do with my irl name and I've not included my sons name or picture. Granted someone could go by my anniversary date ::numbers in my sn::, ds birthday or my location ...but most don't have the time for that.

Yeah, I always figured in a city of 2 million people there'd be enough "sandys" out there to not make a difference...and it is entirely possible there are others I know who are on TB as well, but this is the first time I *know* someone will be on the loss boards.

Wondering if Bump Kathleen can remove my location (I've tried before without success).

BFP #2 2/2011

• Options
    I had this exact situation and ended up making an entirely new SN. Now it has no reference to my name.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie - (B9PH)

Lilypie - (0YVF)
     TTC since 11/2009; Lap/HSG/Hysteroscopy: 5/2011 (endometriosis - removed; endocervical polyp - removed; high pressure in bilateral tubes - cleared)

BFP #1: 8/4/11; DS1 born sleeping on 11/16/11 at 19w1d

BFP # 2: 5/7/12, EDD 1/10/13, DS2 born 1/4/13

BFP # 3: 11/8/13, EDD 7/17/14, mmc 10wks

BFP # 4: 5/16/14, EDD 1/15/15, praying for our 2nd rainbow baby 

• Options
    I always worry about that though my s/n doesn't really have anything to do with my name. I don't post pictures because I'm paranoid about that but I guess my loss history and DS birthday would give some info.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP #1 6.19.11 ~ EDD 2.23.12 ~ CP on 6.22.11
    BFP #2 7.23.11 ~ EDD 3.28.12 ~ MC on 8.16.11
    BFP #3 11.17.11~ EDD 7.31.12 ~ MC on 1.18.12
    BFP #4 4.12.12 ~ EDD 12.25.12~ Born on 12.26.12
  • Options

::coming out of lurkdom::

BK is no longer around. If you want to change your SN they will do it if it contains personal/identifying info. You need to email community@thebump.com with the subject line "BUMP JACKIE", and include your top 5 choices for a new SN. Give it about a week, you can also page her on Chit Chat.

P.S: they can no longer change locations. It's one of the many bump things that are broken.

Signed, the Bumpie formerly known as MrsNorry

::going back to lurking::

• Options
    imageBetty&Co:

::coming out of lurkdom::

BK is no longer around. If you want to change your SN they will do it if it contains personal/identifying info. You need to email community@thebump.com with the subject line "BUMP JACKIE", and include your top 5 choices for a new SN. Give it about a week, you can also page her on Chit Chat.

P.S: they can no longer change locations. It's one of the many bump things that are broken.

Signed, the Bumpie formerly known as MrsNorry

::going back to lurking::

Thank you - super helpful!

BFP #2 2/2011

• Options
    My SN would take a lot of knowledge about me to decipher, but I am still careful about what I post.  I actually stumbled on the mom I used to nanny for and she was complaining about me and about how my kids would get her kids sick all the time.  Let's just say, I wasn't thrilled and I did confront her about it (it did happen, but it worked both ways and I didn't appreciate her blaming my kids).  Anyways, you will never know who will find you or who you will find on these boards.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I've had the same SN for roughly 15+ years and use it for all kinds of things. I'm sure I'm pretty trackable if someone wanted to track me. I doubt I'm special enough for that though. Heh.

I doubt you two would cross paths but if your main concern is having your work find out you're bumping during business hours, then go ahead and create a new SN without the location as opposed to just changing your SN.

Just don't leave!

My Chart

My Life

BFP 7.7.09 - CVS 9.10.09 (Girl) - 9.24.09 Severe Fatal Malformation - D&E 10.7.09 @ 17wks
    BFP 6.1.10 - 6.10.10 Ectopic M/C @ 5wks
    BFP 10.26.10 - 10.29.10 CP
    BFP 1.30.11 - CVS 3.28.11 (Girl) - EDD 10.11.11 - Born 10.6.11
    BFP 12.18.12 - 12.20.12 CP
    BFP 3.18.13 - CVS 5.21.13 (Girl) - EDD 12.2.13 - Born 11.24.13
    BFP 6.10.14 - CVS 7.2.14 (Girl) - EDD 1.12.15 - Born sleeping 8.6.14 @ 17w5d
  • Options

I guess I never really thought about it! But other than the bumping from work which I too am guilty of it doesn't really bother me if someone knows who I am. But that's just me, not too much is a secret lol!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers image ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~TTCAL.buddies.with.LilMags.and.mundayem~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ DS1 10/10/09, Angel Baby 9/19/10 (12 weeks), DD 11/11/11, DS2 11/12/12
  • Options

I worry about this sometimes too because anyone that knows me would recognize my screen name.  I do watch what I say on the board, but sometimes am concerned because we have been very private about our pregnancies and losses, telling only a handful of people about them.  Plus I do share some things with you ladies that I wouldn't necessarily share without the anonymity.  I think it's important to feel "safe" here (realizing of course that it is in fact a public forum).  If TB can help you change you enough to be more anonymous maybe you will feel better about sharing this as a resource with others?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I was just thinking the same thing. My SN contains my maiden name and is the same SN I use for just about everything (including my email address). When I get back on the job market, I really don't want my posts about hemorrhoids and vaginal discharge coming up in a Google search. Ugh...
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options

change. anonymity is key ;)

and squeeeee!! 11w! you FH, you! 

BFP #1 via IUI ~ L (Fatal Birth Defect) 4/7/10
    BFP #2 via IUI ~ m/c
    BFP #3 via cancelled IUI ~ C (2lb 3oz; HELLP) 5/16/11
    BFP #4 via the natural (free!) way ~ E (8lb 11oz) 9/13/12

• Options

I so have thought about this, too!  I didn't realize they could just "change" you, I thought I would have to make a completely new one, and my old posts would be lost!  Good to know!  Though Missbea has little to do with my actual name, it's the "code name" I use for everything.. including my email account, which makes it super obvious!  I talk to a few coworkers all the time about things I read on the bump, and I always wonder if they went looking, I'm sure it'd be SO easy to "spot" me..

And, MrsNorry!  Thanks for the info!! And, glad to "see" you around, still!  I had no idea you changed your name, either :)

Loss #1: 18w5d.. D&E 04Mar03 BFP #2: Jun2011.. missed miscarriage. D&C 08Jul2011 8w4d. BFP #3: Nov2011.. Our Rainbow Baby!!! DS Born: 15Jul2012! BFP #4: Nov2012.. 2U1 - DS2 born 12Jul2013.  BFP #5: 01Jan2014..3U3!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

My blog about raising 2U2!
  • Options
    imagedamabo80:

change. anonymity is key ;)

and squeeeee!! 11w! you FH, you! 

LOL!  Hardly a FH.  :)  My OB refers to the "surprise" BFP in your 40's as "Ovarian Twilight" (no sparkly vampires involved).  Sort of like your ovaries' last hurrah at churning out eggs before the big menopause sleep, if you will.  We will see.  NT scan next week.

And I emailed Bump Jackie this morning, so hopefully there will be a new SN coming our way soon!  I'll keep the profile pic for reference.  Psychobunny and I have been together a long time.

BFP #2 2/2011

• Options
    I've had this same concern recently. My SIL had her second  m/c (I think the first was a cp) so I recommended the mc/pl board to her and as soon as I did I selfishly started regretting it.I think of the boards as my own little safe haven and the idea of my family knowing what I do/say on here kinda bothers me. Guess I need to start watching what I say when it comes to family related vents. *Sigh*
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"