January 2013 Moms
Options

Happy to starve?

I have heard this phrase before and not sure if it is out dated or still a phrase used by professionals.

Anyway, my baby has colic and because of this cries inconsolably from about 5pm - 11pm every night. She cluster feeds during this time to soothe herself and, I think, because she is expelling so much energy from the crying she is hungry every hour. Once I get her to sleep she STTN. This morning I woke her up at 9am. Her last feeding was at 10pm. She is EBF. The doctor okayed the baby sleeping "as long as she wants," since she is gaining weight well. But I just couldn't let her sleep past 9am this morning. The doctor said she will wake up when she is hungry, but what if she is "happy to starve?" Meaning she will just continue to sleep despite being hungry. I should add that she eats every 2-3 hours during the day and naps in between. Anyone else have experience with this? 

After the exhausting 6 hours of her screaming and crying, I am ready for a full nights sleep. I am just not sure how long I should let her sleep without eating. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Happy to starve?

• Options
    How old is your LO? Mine is 6 weeks and this is him too. But he'll wake up to eat and be changed. He's been asleep since 9am so I was so happy to shower dry my hair and do laundry all before 11am.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm not sure, but if she's getting the 19-30 ounces of milk they say EBF babies eat during the day she's probably fine. I think it would make me nervous though, I'd probably not let her sleep more than 7 hours at a time.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Babies need their sleep and if she's hungry, she'll wake up! My DD sleeps 9 hours (8:30-5:30) then wakes to feed for 1/2 hour then back to sleep for another 2-3 hours. Its a lot of sleeping but she does it nightly so obviously her body needs it.

A breast fed baby should be eating 2.5 ounces per pound per 24 hours so as long as you feel she is getting that then she's fine. 

""No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you're the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside."
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    "On the night you were born, the moon smiled with such wonder that the stars peeked in to see you and the night wind whispered "Life will never be the same." Because there had never been anyone like you... ever in the world." ~ Nancy Tillman Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

I'm glad you posted this.  My DD is also sleeping for long stretches, but not quite that long... more like 8 hours.  She also cluster feeds both in the evening before bed and again in the morning following her wake up.  I talked to her Doc about it and they said that she likely makes up for it with increased feedings during the day and that it's perfectly fine to let her sleep.  Enjoy your sleep! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"