C-sections
Options

What to wear in the hospital?

My baby is breech so we are scheduling a c-section. I had bought a few nursing tanks but realise now that I might not want tight clothing on me after the surgery. What did you wear after a c-section? Did you just stay in the hospital gown or did you wear loose sweatpants and shirts?

Thanks in advance,

IAmPregnant Ticker

Re: What to wear in the hospital?

• Options
    I stayed in the gown the entire time because I was a swollen bleeding mess.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I had a textbook surgery and recovery, so I was ready to be out of that gown by day 2.  I had yoga pants, pajama pants and anything stretchy.  I just wore a regular tank top under a giant t-shirt.  Flip flops or slip on shoes, nothing that I had to worry about tying.  Giant, giant underwear.  Nothing that is low cut because it'll hit your incision.  Nothing mid-rise because it'll hit the top of your uterus, and that hurts.  a lot.  If they don't hit your armpits, they're not high enough! LOL

After 7 years of no ovulation...
    BFP#1 10/24/11 ~ EDD 6/29/12 ~ Natural m/c 11/2/11
    BFP#2 2/3/12 ~ Alice born 9/26/12

Oct Angel Babies
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I wore the hospital gown until I was allowed to get up and shower and then just wore a pair of PJ pants and a T-shirt with my nursing bra underneath..It felt SO good to get into regular clothes. One thing I know for sure with this RCS is that I WILL be taking my own big girl panties! The mesh ones they gave me in the hospital were awful..I don't care if it says 1 size fits most, it didn't with me, when I got home, I took them off and ripped them to shreds! So be sure to take your own undies if you can! Good luck!
    Cheryl (26) Andy (25) Married 1 year as of 8-17-13 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

I wore tank tops, sports bras,and pajama or thicker yoga type pants starting my second day. (My section was at noon, so the next morning I got out of the gown)

i wore my regular bikini cut undies without a problem. I used the beband from target that I had for abd support. Also splinting the incision with a pillow the first day or two helped

BFP #1 6/18/2012 // EDD 2/28/2013 // Birthdate 2/7/2013

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    In the hospital, i just wore my gown the whole time. It was so much easier for people to help me.  After 2 days, i went to the sweatpants and lose t-shirts. 

Good luck! 

I was the same way, i found out DD was Breech at 39 weeks, 6 days and then had to have a c-section. it was a surprise c-section!  but it worked out just fine.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

The first couple of days, I stayed in the gown - it was just easier.

I then stayed an extra week with DS because he needed IV antibiotics, and was perfectly fine in nursing tanks and yoga pants. If you're going to wear tank tops, make sure to have a jacket or robe because hospitals tend to be chilly. (One reason I switched to pants when I found out we'd be staying longer is because I was always cold.)

• Options
    My DD was breech too.  Nursing tanks and shirts (lose ones) that are comfortable, yoga pants and large sweatpants/pj pants, socks, flip flops, nursing bras (check out Amazon for some comfortable ones), I brought large cotton undies but I didn't need them - for weeks I wore the mesh boy shorts the hospital had and took some home with me.  I left my gauze strip over the staples during the hospital stay so it wouldn't catch on the mesh.  I did not want to stay in the gown after the first day.  Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I had a bag packed with clothes.....yep didnt wear them.  Was so sore and bleeding that the gown was awesome. Plus we lived in the NICU so it was more comfy.

"You and me together can do anything, baby!!" DMB
    Married October 16th, 2010
    TTC #1 since October 2010
    1st BFP 1-12-11
    MC'd 1-22-11
    2nd BFP 2-15-11
    Our Wee One....**KENNEDY JO** born 10/3/11@ 36weeks via Csection
    My BFP Chart
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Labor Buddy to **MRS.ATCH** Welcome Quinn 11-5-11**
  • Options
    Even though I came packed for every scenario, I actually stayed in the hospital's gown, their mesh disposable panties, and only wore my own nursing sports bras.  For the first day they wouldn't allow me to get up so that was moot.  After that, it was optional if I wanted to wear a gown or my own clothes.  I opted for the gown because I found it to be comfortable and easy to pull down for feedings.
  • Options

Once I am allowed up the next day, I always felt better in my normal clothes. Hospital gowns are HUGE on me, and I like to be more comfortable and presentable when seeing visitors or taking my little strolls down the hall to work through the recovery.  For me, taking a shower and feeling a little less "hospital-like" helps mentally.

I LOVE the mesh panties, and I actually put another pad in the front of them horizontally to cover my incision.  Super helpful.  Then I wear pajama pants or something loose (yoga pants to go home) that I can pull higher than the incision.  You will not want anything hitting near that incision for weeks and weeks -- I wear granny panties at home for a good six to eight weeks, and definitely no jeans.  

I usually buy myself some cheap target pjs just for the hospital that I don't care about if they get messy and I end up wanting to throw them away -- but I have never had that happen.  By the time you are up and dressed on day 2, the postpartum bleeding from a c-section should not be any worse than a period, so I've never had an issue with anything excessive problems.  

Some ladies like lounge wear, but I like to stay in PJs.  I just make sure I get some that are not too low cut so I don't feel weird when my in-laws visit.  ;)  For this baby, I got matching sets that are bottoms with the type of top that is button front.  I'll wear a tank under them and leave more open if I want.  

I also like pants as opposed to nightgowns.  You'll find everyone in the world wants to see your incision, about 8 times a day, but this way I can just roll the pants down, and don't have to flip a nightgown or gown up and expose everything, if that makes sense.  My mesh panties and pad and post-partum situation can all stay covered. :)  I also don't have to worry about my legs getting all stubbly again by day three or four -- shaving would not be a good option while in the hospital.

"The most important thing she'd learned over the years was that there was no way to be a perfect mother and a million ways to be a good one." --Jill Churchill

Pre-e w/DD #1 -- now age four! GD and PIH w/DD#2 -- now age two! GD and unexplained third trimester bleeding with baby # 3 -- due Feb 27!
  • Options

imageMissMusic:
    I just stayed in the gown.  It wasn't fashionable, but it was super comfy for sleeping, nursing, etc, plus if I bled on it--oh well!  I also wore my own robe. 

This. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    The first two days I wore the gown. After a shower I wore my maternity yoga pants and a nursing tank with a zip hoodie over it.

• Options
    I wore yoga pants and nursing tanks it kept the pads and incision acking in place, I would roll the band up past my belly button and it gave me awesome support.
    photo b6d12d4a-3c41-4686-a0af-8cf854f979e4_zpsffdadc4c.jpg Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I bought some lace "bralettes" from Victorias Secret since I was planning on breastfeeding. For a majority of the time I wore just the bralette and a pair of shorts. The bralette wasn't see-through but very breathable and easy to pull up for the feedings, so I didnt have to cover or undress when I had family visiting. 

When I had people visit who I wasn't comfortable seeing in just my bralette, I wore a sleep-shirt, also from VS, it was a short sleeved shirt that went just above my knees. :) I was covered and not too hot. I also got out of the gown, which made me FEEL a lot better, since I got to feel a bit prettier without being able to shower or maintain myself. haha 

• Options
    I wore the gown the day of the surgery but by the next morning I was back in my yoga pants and a tshirt. My baby had to be in the nursery under the lights for jaundice so I walked back and forth from my room to the nursery to see her and I wheeled her back to my room for feelings. I think it helped me a lot to move around. I went home the next day. I also wore that belly binder thing from day 1. It really really helped hold everything in and made things feel a lot better. I swear it helped my tummy go down a lot too. I never had the excess tummy flab issue. My tummy looked back to normal by 3 months post op, you'd never know I'd had a csection except for seeing the scar.
  • Options
    On day 2 I put on a pair of husbands pj pants and a nursing tank. The snugness of the tank felt nice and it didn't allow the pj pants to rub since it was pretty long. I was much more comfy in this than in hospital gown
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I had a black nightgown and various yoga pants and nursing tanks.  I had open front sweatshirts/cardigans too for when I was cold. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"