May 2012 Moms

When...

Does the smacking and hair pulling phase end? 

My son loves to smack people in the face.  He thinks it is hilarious.  He also is constantly pulling my hair out.  So I have resorted to putting it up every day.  

If I hold his hand and say something like. "no" "be nice" "that hurts mommy" he gets the biggest smile on his face and does it again.  I of course know he doesn't understand.  But the babysitter says that he smacks the 10 month old he is with every day too.  I don't know how to make him stop doing this since he has no concept of what no means.  Any suggestions?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyName Ticker

Re: When...

• Nope we're dealing with the same thing. I say "no" and make my most dramatic angry/sad face, then I take her hand and say "gentle" and make her hand pet either my face or my hair to show her what I mean when I say gentle so she can at least START to associate what I'm talking about. Sometimes she stops and occupies herself with something else but sometimes she just does it again. It's a work in progress.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• It is a phase try not to make too of a deal about it or it will last longer.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
  • Loading the player...
  • We seem to have just come out of that phase thank freakin goodness!knock on proverbial wood lol
    It was bad for awhile there though, he was ripping full fistfuls of hair out bc I have super curly hair and on multiple occasions my husband had to come help bc I was either stunned or crying between the hair or getting clocked in the face haha
    We tried our best to do what the previous posts said though, said "no, that hurts" made an exaggerated sad face and then tried our best not to engage him too much further over it so he didn't think it was a way to get attention.
    I also cut my hair short so he has less to grab onto, not sure if that's a viable option for you though lol
    Hang in there! It will hopefully pass soon!!
  • imagebellelamb:
    It is a phase try not to make too of a deal about it or it will last longer.

This... IMO, if you make a big deal out of it, they will continue it...

Just like training a dog when they get overly excited... even negative attention is attention (saying "no" grabbing their hands, etc.) even though it may take some time, don't show them any attention when they do it... if they don't get a reaction out of you, eventually they will get board with it, and stop. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"