Working Moms
Options

NWMR: carseat for five year old??

Sorry-not work related but you've always provided good feedback!  I have gone on the car seat safety sites and know our child still technically "fits" in her carseat for another 15 pounds or more, but she's really uncomfortable in it (she's 5 1/2 and a stringbean but the crotch strap is really, really tight on her and it can't be adjusted.).  Right now, she's in the Britax Marathon or Boulevard (can't remember which) and we paid a fortune for it because of the high weight and height limits, but I don't want her to be so uncomfortable.  What's a good (and the safest) option at this age?  I'll really appreciate your feedback!

Re: NWMR: carseat for five year old??

• Options

She definitely sounds ready for a booster seat.  They make high back boosters that you can use a regular seatbelt with.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

We didn't want to move to a booster at 5 either, so we went with the Britax Frontier (harnesses until 85 pounds I believe).  It turns into a high back booster when they are older, so it will last you until she is ready for a regular car seat.  There are other seats that accommodate taller children that are cheaper, I just can't remember them off the top of my head!

You can also go with a high back booster at this point (as long as she is over 40 pounds), but we decided that didn't work for us.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree a high seat booster is the way to go. I would stick with a name brand and check the reviews first. We have a Graco brand that was $70-I can't remember the model.  There were several boosters less expensive.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We have a Diono and love it. We have the radian RXT and r120. It's actually a convertible not a booster but it's supposed to accomodate kids in booster to 120lbs after they outgrow the 5 point harness at 80 pounds. Should never outgrow this seat :
    Loving Life being Brett's Mama! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

How much does she weigh? Do you think she'd be good about sitting correctly in the seat, not playing with the seatbelt, etc?

We moved DD1 to a high back booster at 5 years. She's always been good about sitting in the car, so we had no trouble with the switch. She was 44 lbs and almost 46" at 5 years. She rides in a Recaro ProBooster or a Recaro Vivo. Both are high back boosters.

Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • Options
    Thanks so much, ladies!  I see the regular boosters and they don't look like they actually do much--I'd prefer to keep her in a five point harness until she's 25.  (I live in NJ, people drive pretty badly here!)
  • Options

imagesemdkm:
    Thanks so much, ladies!  I see the regular boosters and they don't look like they actually do much--I'd prefer to keep her in a five point harness until she's 25.  (I live in NJ, people drive pretty badly here!)

I'd look into the Recaro ProSport and Britax Frontier then. Both are harnessed seats that will convert to a high back booster, and both generally give a good booster fit.

Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"