February 2012 Moms
Options

how much milk?

How much milk is your LO's getting per day?  DS is on WCM & he gets a 6 oz bottle in the am & a 8 oz bottle at night.  During the day he takes sips of water and milk out of his sippy cup but not too much.  I also give him sips out of a regular cup & he does pretty well with that.  He also eats cheese.  Is that enough milk?  I have noticed since we stopped bottles during the day that he hasnt had as many wet diapers which i assume is normal.  TIA

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: how much milk?

• Options

Allison gets 0 oz of WCM. She won't drink it. But she does a lot of water out of a sippy cup and still gets about 4 - 6 oz of formula (that will run out in the next week or so) in a bottle.

(FWIW, our peditrician recommended NOT giving her WCM in a bottle to help transition off the bottle. So we will be bottle free in about a week or so.)

I make her sippy with water available to her all day, not just at meals. That way I know she is getting water when she wants/needs it. If you are worried, just ask your ped and s/he will let you know about wet diapers.

Lilypie - (JrNi)

Lilypie - (y35Q)

• Options
    That sounds right to me, we are pretty much doing the same exact thing with the sub of soy vs. WCM. Although I gave DS some cheese recently and he did well with it...small celebration for us, whoop whoop! Party!!!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I concur with other posters - our pedi also recommended not giving WCM in a bottle, to avoid confusion.  We switched to WCM a week ago for Ethan.  He gets water in the morning (that bottle was the hardest to cut out, we weaned down).  He gets yogurt and water in a sippy.  He doesn't drink much of the water, which tells me his bottle was just habit, not needed.  He drinks WCM at all meals, in a sippy and they give him some in sippy in the afternoon at daycare too.  If he seems cranky/fussy at other times during the day or after dinner, I will put water in a sippy.  I was crazy obsessive about how many oz he was getting for the first few days, but quite honestly, I don't even pay attention anymore.  He seems happy, still sleeps fine at night and has wet diapers, though I agree, not as wet as before.  If his mood or sleeping was affected I would worry, but I think it's almost more of an adjustment for us as Mom's than it is for them!  Someone mentioned that we should not think of WCM as a replacement for formula/BM, but just as part of their balanced diet, so I am going with that approach.
  • Options
    My ped said that 12-15oz of dairy a day is what they need at this age.  3 wet diapers a day, according to my ped, means they're hydrated.  I have noticed, since Ian's not getting a bottle before bed, that he's not waking up as wet as he used to.  I don't think they're going to sit and drink a whole sippy of milk like they would a bottle...at least Ian's not.  He gets a sippy of milk in the morning and will sip on it and usually ends up drinking the whole thing by his morning nap.  After that he's given a sippy of water to drink on during the day and he'll usually drink that by his afternoon nap.  And in the afternoons he's given another sippy of milk and will usually have that drank by dinner time.  Again, I think as long as he's having at least 3 wet diapers a day he's good and it sounds like he's getting enough dairy in each day.

• Options
    It depends on the day. Yesterday Lauren drank about 20oz of coconut milk. Some days it's only 10oz and some days it's almost 30oz.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"