Pre-School and Daycare
Options

preschooler not wiping self

Our DD is 4 1/2 years old now... she's been potty trained since 2... occasionally I've noticed her entire bottom is red at bathtime.. I always remind her to make sure her bottom is patted dry before she pulls up her pants.

After watching her "pick wedgies" (as she calls them) all day I noticed that come bathtime her bottom is the most red I've ever seen it... it's REALLY irritated.

Anyone else having issues with little ones not taking the time to make sure they're dry down there?  My SIL (with 3 daughters) told me she's just in a hurry to play again and to put someting like a mild baby cream or Aquaphor on it but this has really been an on-going issue with her... I've played nice guy and now I'm losing patience!  I don't want her to rely on cream for the rest of her life!

Please help!

Re: preschooler not wiping self

• Options
    I tend to find my 3 year old gets red from itching/scratching due to not wiping well after going to the bathroom. Are you sure it a dry/wet issue versus a wiping thoroughly issue? If it's a wetness issue, you could try sprinkling a bit of baby powder in her panties. Good luck.
    Loving Life being Brett's Mama! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    If you don't already, keep flushable wipes handy and have her use them before the dry paper.  Also she might need a refresher course on wiping, at this age follow up is still sometimes needed.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    For pee or poop? I still wipe my 4yo when she poops and likely will until she starts Kindergarten.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • Options

we have the same issues.  she's not wiping herself well when she goes #1 or #2.  Sometimes it's really bad and she cries for diaper cream.  We've done it before in the past, but I keep telling her now that she needs to learn to wipe better and that the diaper cream is for her sister. 

I've been trying to really show her how to wipe and making sure she is wiping well when I'm with her - I figure if she does it all the time with me, she's probably doing it the right way at school.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Not wiping well for pee should not cause a rash or irritation unless she has super sensitive skin.

I'd take a look at the area when you clean it up.  If the redness is mostly around her anus, it's likely that she's not wiping well when she poops, then it gets itchy, she scratches, it gets irritated, etc.  It's not unusual for kids this age to struggle with cleaning up after the big job.  I always had my kids call me in for a final check when they were in preschool.

If it's really her labia that's red, it might be that she's wiping/rubbing too hard and irritating the skin. 

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Options
    My dd does not wipe herself and then says she washed her hands which I tend to not believe. I think she equates wiping with washing and would rather NOT. Gross in my opinion and I don't know how to change it. Her bum is not usually red but occasionally prek send her pants/undies home becuase she doesn't wipe well or at all...I hope she learns soon! GL :)
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

CafeMom Tickers

• Options
    My DD doesn't wipe after peeing.  She doesn't get irritated by it.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    I still have to remind my 5 year old to wipe well after #2 and that she absolutely must wipe/pat dry after she goes #1. I can always tell when she's being lazy because she will scratch her behind a lot and she is red and irritated during bath time. I bathe her with mild soap and load her up with Aquaphor or A&D ointment when she does this and we do the whole wiping talk again.
    Bumping under a new SN
  • Options
    My DD has a tendency to get in a hurry and not completely dry herself too. this is a pain but my suggestion is going to the bathroom with her for a while and standing there and making sure she gets herself dry.  Tell her that she shouldn't be in any kind of hurry and that it is very important to keep her butt and private parts clean and dry.  After telling her this over and over I would think it would eventually sink in.  Don't let her leave the bathroom until she does it. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"