Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

would you ever consider moving far away from it all?

I watched an episode of House Hunters international last night- and the family was moving from the Netherlands to the South African Brush- litterally in the middle of nowhere- surrounded by wildlife.  There was a nature school nearby and a "town" but the house was off a dirt road and it appeared very desolate.  In fact one of the houses they were looking at, when coming down the road to it, there was a buffalo wandering around.

So it just got me thinking how in our society we are constantly focused on socializing our kids with play dates, getting them in a structured setting- starting pre-school at a young age and getting them in activities at a young age and I see this and think- this family is getting away from all that and going to be basically, besides the children and families at the nearby school, be all by themselves.  I dont know it just made me think of things like how important it is to just being together as a unit.  I know we have to prepare our little ones for the hustle and bustle of this life it just made be think a little about how hetic life is and will be for them. 

Just wondering if that would appeal to anyone else?  Maybe not the south african brush but just getting away somewhere very remote. 

Re: would you ever consider moving far away from it all?

• Options
    absolutely.  There are a lot of reasons I would consider moving away from it all.  In my opinion, I think people are getting meaner and meaner, no one has any common decency or consideration for anyone else.  I wouldn't mind not seeing someone on their cel phone every 2 seconds.  I don't think I would miss crowds or hustle and bustle.  So needless to say, I would love to live in a remote place. 
    January siggy challenge: winter weather fails

• Options
    It would be very appealing to DH and I. Maybe a mountain setting with a lake or stream or something. I watch those shows and I'm always thinking how cool it is when they get back to basics.
    But, in reality, with a LO...I want him to have all his family around, lots of friends and all the socializing etc. SO, for now we'll have to settle for vacations that allow solitude, family time nature.
    Loving Life being Brett's Mama! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

No thanks!

I live two states away from my family and that is too much for me.

• Options
    If it weren't for wanting to be near family (specifically my grandparents), I'd definitely consider it.
    Anneliese Olive 11/5/09
    Hazel Dianna 1/8/11
    Luna Valentine 4/25/13

• Options
    Absolutely!! Live would be less stressful !
  • Options

We're very fortunate that both set of grandparents are close and very involved in our son's life. We had an opportunity to move abroad but couldn't because family. I've lived abroad alone and hope to do so when we retire, but right now we rather stay near family. We still travel a lot (with DS).

My dad grew up in the middle of nowhere when he was a kid (Mexico). The only difference is that he had his whole family with him in the middle of nowhere. I would move if our families could pick up and come with us. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Not anywhere rural and 'away' but we voluntarily moved far away from family years ago for a different lifestyle and have moved again to a different state since then...so I'm willing to move away from family/familiar but not to rural/isolated. What we very often talk about is moving abroad for a period, to asia or europe... i studied in Europe & MH lived in London for about a year and a half in his 20s and we have always thought it would be great to give our kids the experience of living abroad & experiencing different cultures.

Erinmo, I have been thinking of you & your impending move!!! I think you may find once you're in the burbs, maybe you can embrace the fact that not as much is right at your doorstep & slow down & enjoy doing things as a family unit...??? Our twins are 3 1/2 and I have never felt overscheduled or like we didn't have quality family time on weekends, but I know it helps that they have a built in playmate. :)

• Options

well we live 'far away' (Australia) but still in a big city - and I find it hard to even find playdates as we don't know many people in our area and I only have SIL here and no other family

honestly I think the western world is what it is - I wish we had family close by - a lot - but I don't think living in an isolated way is going to change who our kids grow up to be as at some point they will be in a 'big city' for school or work or whatever

I do think dd is clingy to me though because she isn't exposed to big family gatherings like she would be if we lived near my family - but it is what it is - and as she gets older that's slowly improving....

• Options
    Nope. I prefer living near the city and getting my kids the best educational opportunities starting at a young age, great medical care, etc. I love the outdoors--hiking, camping, etc but I would not want that to be my everyday life.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    thanks- this moving thing is so stressful!  UGH-
  • Options

DH and I have always dreamed of this. I wouldn't want to be too desolate because I would want to be near medical help for my kids. We live in California. Born and raised and are only 10 min from our furthest family member. DH hates that we live so close to ALL our family. While it has been nice for help with the kids we would love to have some space, some privacy. We don't want to be in the same spot all our life.

While I'm aware Texas isn't "getting away from it all," it is our dream. To move away to a state that just fits us and not worry about all the family and what they will say or think. I guess its easier said then done but someday soon I would like a change. Life is to short to live the same life day to day. I would love a more simple life, on a beach with less people but that seems harder to attain the Texas. :) 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"