November 2011 Moms
Options

nbr: poll re: new house

I have not posted here in a looong time, but need to get some opinions so I can let this go.

We built a new house last year. We went to a builder and designed the house with his architect. It was based on a smaller plan we liked but we ended up changing just about everything; they look different, especially the exterior.

This weekend, we found out that our same house is being built for the home show. I had asked our builder about it last fall because this obnoxious woman stopped at the house (about a month before we closed) and said she was building the exact same house for the home show. He said she was mistaken and it was the smaller plan that would be in the home show, and not to worry because they never build an identical house. 

I called him out today that 1) he lied and 2) we're upset that he's building an identical house (it has one extra 1' x 1' window next to the front door). He told me this is not a big deal and there's nothing we can do about it because we don't own the plan.

So...would you be pi$$ed or no? 

Mommy to Maddie 11/11/11

Re: nbr: poll re: new house

• Options
    No, that's a ridiculous thing to be mad about. He's right, you don't own the plan. What do you care if someone likes the house and builds the same one as you? Have you ever been in a neighborhood? They are full of the same houses. Get over it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Yes, I have been in a neighborhood, and our neighborhood is not all cookie-cutter houses. If you build in an executive neighborhood, the houses are not all the same and there are covenants that prevent people from doing so. 
    Mommy to Maddie 11/11/11
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The person buying the home can choose whatever floor plan they wish. The builder won't turn down business because someone in the neighborhood already has that floor plan. Get over yourself.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I am well aware of this. Thank you for your opinion.  

Mommy to Maddie 11/11/11
  • Options
    Well, this went down hill fast! Not sure why he would have lied to you, but it is their property so you don't have a legal right to stop them from using the plans elsewhere. I would be upset that I was lied to, not that my house was being built somewhere else.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I don't think I'd be upset, imitation is the best form of flattery.  Also, it sounds like you modified one of their original designs and it required the use of their architect, so I would assume legally they have the right to the design.

photo a42489fa-98a3-436b-b31b-266d7d204e5d_zpsde5f201a.jpg
    my read shelf:
    Molly's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Anniversary
  • Options

Yes, I'm not trying to stop them; he can do what he wants. I'm curious if I am justified in feeling upset about the whole situation. He told us that no one else would think this is a big deal or be upset. I just want to know if other people would feel slighted or not care. 

Again, this is not just about someone else building "our house." The issue it is that it is being built for the city's home show.

Thank you for your response.  

Mommy to Maddie 11/11/11
  • Options

I can see where you are coming from.  How close is this other house to your house?  I'm not big on "cookie cutter" neighborhoods so if it was down the street from me, I would be mildly annoyed.  If it's in a different neighborhood, then no big deal. 

I would be irked about being lied to, but like others say, it is their design so they  can do what they want.  If anything, think of imitation as the sincerest form of flattery - you must have had some good design decisions!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageEllieBabyBellie:

Yes, I'm not trying to stop them; he can do what he wants. I'm curious if I am justified in feeling upset about the whole situation. He told us that no one else would think this is a big deal or be upset. I just want to know if other people would feel slighted or not care. 

Again, this is not just about someone else building "our house." The issue it is that it is being built for the city's home show.

Thank you for your response.  

That's a jerky thing to say.  I mean, it's obvious this guy is a jerk if he lied to you.  But to make a statement that "no one else" would think something is just an arrogant thing to say. 

• Options

Eh, there are other things that would matter more to me. It's just a house

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageEstwd2:
    imageEllieBabyBellie:
    Forgive my ignorance, but why is the home show aspect important?

She's probably afraid that people will see the home at the home show and want to build the same one. Then someone will have the same house as her!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

imagebeedawn:
    imageEstwd2:
    imageEllieBabyBellie:
    She's probably afraid that people will see the home at the home show and want to build the same one. Then someone will have the same house as her!

Jeez Louise, Beedawn.  You pop out of the woodwork to go ranting on this post?!?!  Are you having sensitivities to your house that looks like the one next door?  Wow.

Is the OP being a little sensitive?  Maybe.  But you just can't let this one go.  It's kind of hilarious.  And weird.

I choose not to live in a neighborhood where every house looks like every other house.  I know that's not always an option.  In the city I lived before, it would be almost impossible as the "good" neighborhoods were built during the master planned, every 5th house is the same boom.   My MIL is friends with a neighbor who has the EXACT same floor plan.  It would creep me out to go over to someone's house and be like "Hey, this is just like my house!" but I don't think my MIL is bothered by it at all.  Different strokes.

• Options
    imageNatty13umppo:

imagebeedawn:
    imageEstwd2:
    imageEllieBabyBellie:

Jeez Louise, Beedawn.  You pop out of the woodwork to go ranting on this post?!?!  Are you having sensitivities to your house that looks like the one next door?  Wow.

Is the OP being a little sensitive?  Maybe.  But you just can't let this one go.  It's kind of hilarious.  And weird.

I choose not to live in a neighborhood where every house looks like every other house.  I know that's not always an option.  In the city I lived before, it would be almost impossible as the "good" neighborhoods were built during the master planned, every 5th house is the same boom.   My MIL is friends with a neighbor who has the EXACT same floor plan.  It would creep me out to go over to someone's house and be like "Hey, this is just like my house!" but I don't think my MIL is bothered by it at all.  Different strokes.

I'm always around here I just don't post because this board is dead. She asked a question and I answered it. I wouldn't say I'm doing anything close to ranting. I actually live in an apartment and it doesn't bother me at all that 50 other apartments in my complex have the same floor plan. When we buy a house it still won't bother me to have the same floor plan as someone else. It's not that serious. It's a freakin' house. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imagebeedawn:
    imageNatty13umppo:

imagebeedawn:
    imageEstwd2:
    imageEllieBabyBellie:

I'm always around here I just don't post because this board is dead. She asked a question and I answered it. I wouldn't say I'm doing anything close to ranting. I actually live in an apartment and it doesn't bother me at all that 50 other apartments in my complex have the same floor plan. When we buy a house it still won't bother me to have the same floor plan as someone else. It's not that serious. It's a freakin' house. 

Well, that's lucky for you that you don't mind (in all seriousness - not trying to be a jerk) b/c then when/if you do buy a house, hopefully you will have an easy time.

I'm sort of a house snob.  I don't live in an expensive house by any means, but I'm very picky about what I want in a house (floorplan, lot, location, etc).  We've been looking for a new house with no luck.  I know I am mostly to blame for being picky, but if I'm going to live there for 20+ years and pay $$$$, then I want what I want, damn it.  Don't settle for houses or husbands - not worth it.

• Options
    imageNatty13umppo:
    imagebeedawn:
    imageNatty13umppo:

imagebeedawn:
    imageEstwd2:
    imageEllieBabyBellie:

Well, that's lucky for you that you don't mind (in all seriousness - not trying to be a jerk) b/c then when/if you do buy a house, hopefully you will have an easy time.

I'm sort of a house snob.  I don't live in an expensive house by any means, but I'm very picky about what I want in a house (floorplan, lot, location, etc).  We've been looking for a new house with no luck.  I know I am mostly to blame for being picky, but if I'm going to live there for 20+ years and pay $$$$, then I want what I want, damn it.  Don't settle for houses or husbands - not worth it.

That makes sense and I will be very picky when it comes time to buy a house. That is a big investment to just be "ok" with. I couldn't care less though if someone else has the exact same house. That's just ridiculous. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Whoa, did not see this drama coming! Thanks for the opinions everyone. Considering the emotional replies, I guess my strong feelings are justified!!

Natty, you said it well...I am an admitted house snob too. We probably looked at 100+ houses over the course of 2+ years and our Realtor told us to just build. 

Anyway, 24 hours later, I'm getting over it and moving on. Now I could care less about the other house and I'm just pi$$ed about his behavior and what he said to me. Definitely won't be recommending him any time soon!! 

Mommy to Maddie 11/11/11
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"