Dads & Dads-to-be

Any Good Rejected Names?

Any of you guys have any names you really wanted to give your child(ren) and your wife took just one look at you and said "No." or even just rolled her eyes?

For me, it's definitely Optimus. As a child of the 80s, Optimus is by far and away the coolest name possible. Strong, brave, heroic, never arrogant... It's a great name.

So what about you guys? Any names you wish you could have slipped past your wife?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhqjipgCIAAOz7H.jpg
-My son was born in April 2012. He pretty much rules.

Re: Any Good Rejected Names?

• Brought this up in another thread, but at one time Brett was at the top of my list.

Then he went all hillybilly against the Packers, so......

But that name was rejected by the wife anyway, as she has always had a problem with #4 and how he has lived his life as an NFL'er.

I am still working on the name Robin, even though it is currently in rejected status. It works for a boy or a girl, and for me, there is no other name outside of my son's name that makes me smile and have good thoughts.  Not many people know this, but no major leaguer had more hits in the 1980's than Robin Yount, The Kid.  He remains my unblemished baseball icon.

• I was liking Thorin for a while after seeing the Hobbit but apparently my wife's parents don't appreciate Middle Earth names as much as I do.  I also liked Trajan but the wife vetoed that, so our kid will never be a Roman emperor I guess.

• Loading the player...
  • imagefutant462:
    I was liking Thorin for a while after seeing the Hobbit but apparently my wife's parents don't appreciate Middle Earth names as much as I do.  I also liked Trajan but the wife vetoed that, so our kid will never be a Roman emperor I guess.

Maybe you could slip Julian or August past and call him Julius or Augustus Caesar?

• imageladyjenna13:

Not many people know this, but no major leaguer had more hits in the 1980's than Robin Yount, The Kid.  He remains my unblemished baseball icon.

Robin Yount was awesome, I remember him from when I was a kid!

• Xavier... That way I could call him "X". That was rejected faster than an F student applying for Harvard. I also tried getting his first name to be Eli, being that is my middle name... but then my team is the NY Giants... and we both decided we didnt want our son named after the "Awe Shucks Assassin". Granted he is technically named after me.... but there could be confusion later in life...
  • imageskii31:
    Xavier... That way I could call him "X". That was rejected faster than an F student applying for Harvard. I also tried getting his first name to be Eli, being that is my middle name... but then my team is the NY Giants... and we both decided we didnt want our son named after the "Awe Shucks Assassin". Granted he is technically named after me.... but there could be confusion later in life...

I was at the 2007 NFC Championship Game at Lambeau when the "Awe Shucks" guy outperformed the "hillbilly" guy.  I still believe Coach Caughlin's face is leather-like due to the weather that day.  Thankfully, I was not at the 2011 game when "Awe Shucks" beat us at Lambeau again. 

• I am sorry buddy, I got a lot of packer friends.. not one of them talked to me for weeks after that game. They still blame Brett Far-vrah for throwing that int.

Still a great game though.. 

• I would totally name my kid Draco Xavier.
  • Over the holidays I found a family history book in my parents basement.  It had old family trees in it and I started trying out old family names.  Regretfully, names like Eberhard and Ronaldus were quickly shot down.

• imageLuckyDad:
    I would totally name my kid Draco Xavier.

Thats awesome!!!!! Definitely setting your kid up for superhero/villian status.

• imagePrime:
    Over the holidays I found a family history book in my parents basement.  It had old family trees in it and I started trying out old family names.  Regretfully, names like Eberhard and Ronaldus were quickly shot down.

Hehe... "Everhard".

• imageLuckyDad:

imagePrime:
    Over the holidays I found a family history book in my parents basement.  It had old family trees in it and I started trying out old family names.  Regretfully, names like Eberhard and Ronaldus were quickly shot down.

Hehe... "Everhard".

The family tree was full of names that had hilarious nicknames/taunts built right in.  It's probably a good thing I am not allowed to make decisions like this on my own.

• imageskii31:

I am sorry buddy, I got a lot of packer friends.. not one of them talked to me for weeks after that game. They still blame Brett Far-vrah for throwing that int.

Still a great game though.. 

I still rarely talk about it, and when I do, I end up cursing one Brett Lorenzo Favre.  One day he will have his number retired, making him only the sixth Packer all-time to reach that honor.

Perhaps I will have passed by then, and I will not have to hear the hillbilly ponder how great he was, while ignoring all the playoff games that were lost because he is such a "gunslinger".

• imagePrime:

Reminds me of the Dave Chappelle's Show skit with Paul Money playing the seer....

• So far, we have no rejected names.

Our 1st was named after his grandfathers, Jeffrey Michael, as I was named after mine.

My wife wanted to name our 2nd after her maiden name and her mom's maiden name... fortunately Anderson Lewis has a nice ring to it, so it didn't get rejected either.

Our next, if it is a girl, she has a name already... Evelyn Virginia... currently the 2 living great grandmothers.  If it is a boy, we want to do a family pairing of names, but not sure we will find a combination we like yet, so that might be where a name gets shot down.

• imageColtsdad:

So far, we have no rejected names.

Our 1st was named after his grandfathers, Jeffrey Michael, as I was named after mine.

My wife wanted to name our 2nd after her maiden name and her mom's maiden name... fortunately Anderson Lewis has a nice ring to it, so it didn't get rejected either.

Our next, if it is a girl, she has a name already... Evelyn Virginia... currently the 2 living great grandmothers.  If it is a boy, we want to do a family pairing of names, but not sure we will find a combination we like yet, so that might be where a name gets shot down.

I think that is a really pretty name!

• My wife said no to Jackson, which was my first choice for my son and Smith, which was my third. My second choice landed and now we have Carter.

I also got to keep Jackson, but it was for the dog we adopted and my dog is a a$$hole....so there goes that.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagejack19:
    nathaniel, shot down hard lol

Why? My friends have a Nathaniel. It's a good name. 

• imagejack19:
    imageLuckyDad:

imagejack19:
    nathaniel, shot down hard lol

Why? My friends have a Nathaniel. It's a good name. 

tell that to my wife.  I really like it and she wants no part of it.  lol 

Only one reason for that... Ex-Boyfriend. 

• A good friend of mine was clueless as they named their firstborn son Vincent, as in Vince Neil of Motley Crue fame.

He only found out the reason 16 years later when  they went through a divorce...

• My hubbs requested I post this for him since he doesn't have an account. His suggestion of Komatsu (like the industrial tractor company) as a boy name was shot down. He thinks it would be so fun say all the time.
  • imageehnasto:
    My hubbs requested I post this for him since he doesn't have an account. His suggestion of Komatsu (like the industrial tractor company) as a boy name was shot down. He thinks it would be so fun say all the time.

I like Komatsu, although it sounds very Asian. So if you're Asian, great, but if not, probably would cause a lot of confusion. 

• imageLuckyDad:

imageehnasto:
    My hubbs requested I post this for him since he doesn't have an account. His suggestion of Komatsu (like the industrial tractor company) as a boy name was shot down. He thinks it would be so fun say all the time.

I like Komatsu, although it sounds very Asian. So if you're Asian, great, but if not, probably would cause a lot of confusion. 

Unfortunatly for this name we are not the least bit Asian... He has resigned to the fact that Komatsu is never going to happen and is now pushing for Maximus.

• imageehnasto:

Unfortunatly for this name we are not the least bit Asian... He has resigned to the fact that Komatsu is never going to happen and is now pushing for Maximus.

Well, Max is actually a popular, trending name right now.You could always name him that or Maximilian and he could NN him Maximus.

• PrimePrime member
    I've recently started pushing for Augustus as a middle name.  Not getting much traction.

• imagePrime:
    I've recently started pushing for Augustus as a middle name.  Not getting much traction.

A good friend of mine had an older brother with that name.  They are Puerto Rican and it was their grandfather's name I believe.  I like the name, but yeah, I imagine you are not getting much return on that.

• August used to be a popular boy name!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"