Military Families

Hanscom AFB/ UMass Lowell

So it looks like we're headed to Massachusetts this summer.  DH will be ROTC at UMass Lowell, which is an awesome assignment for him.  I know it's fairly close to Hanscom AFB, which would be our support base.

Anyone have any advice on places to live in the area?  Base housing will probably not be available to us since DH is not stationed at the base itself.  Any general information about the area?  I love Boston but know nothing about the suburbs and surrounding area.

While I love New Mexico and will be very sad to leave, I'm very excited for DH in this new job, and I'm happy to get back "home" to the east coast!

Saving money while raising more kids than you bargained for! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Hanscom AFB/ UMass Lowell

• It's been years since I was in Lowell.  I spent time there for work, almost even years ago.  I liked the area, but as I recall, there are some really nice areas and some areas to avoid.  Sorry that I can't help you with specifics.

Are there any folks in his new office who might be able to help you find a realtor to locate a rental?  I would imagine that Boston is much like the DC area (I see we both have Alexandria as our locations--I miss Alexandria!).  You don't want to live much farther from work than necessary (and can afford) to minimize commuting time.

Best of luck with the move!  I hope you enjoy your time in New England! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks. We don't even have orders yet, so I'm trying not to jump the gun. I made contact with a realtor there just to get some ideas of what's available in our price range.

I miss Alexandria, too! I'm hoping to get the same feel in the Boston area.
    Saving money while raising more kids than you bargained for! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • It's a great area! Personally I would avoid Lawrence/Methuen. Andover is pricy. Billerica (bill-RICK-a), Tewksbury, Reading/N. Reading are all good. You can live on Hanscom without being attached to it, they also have "market housing" where you pay rent, which may be more or less than your BAH. People I know who live there love it, especially if he's not commuting into Boston. You might also consider living in NH; Nashua is right over the border and there is no sales or income tax there. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"