December 2012 Moms

Evening Fussiness

Are your LO's still pretty fussy in the evenings? DD has been extremely fussy and gassy in the evenings where she screams out and cries a lot. I just assumed it was something that I was eating.

I have been experimenting eliminating foods for about a month. I recently stopped giving her PolyViSol with iron which seems to have helped a little bit. I think the iron was making her more gassy with an upset stomach. I'm beginning to think it's not a food sensitivity at all and maybe this evening fussiness and a little bit of gas is just normal for this age?

Are you all still experiencing the fussiness in the evenings with your LO's?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Evening Fussiness

• Connor does this sometimes. I try to take him into a quieter part of the house,give him gas drops and swaddle him. It seems to calm him a bit. He seems to "get the farts" more at night. He had one so loud the other day he stopped crying and made a face like "was that me?!". I hope your little gal feels better soon.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimage

• If she's not burped well enough during the day, then she can be very fussy in the evenings. Also, I noticed that her vitamin drops seem to correlate with extra fussiness in the evening, so now I give them to her in the late afternoon/early evening and that seems to help quite a bit.

Basically, by the end of the day, her little nerves are a bit frazzled so she's more sensitive to things that annoy/bother her (uncomfortable clothes, tiredness, gas, etc). You know how you feel when it's been a rough day at work and all you want is a bath and a glass of wine? That's what I think she feels like when she has her witching hours. All she wants is a boob and snuggles, lol.
    BFP: 12/20/13 EDD: 08/23/14 (discovered m/c at 8w5d)
    BFP: 09/22/14 EDD: 06/06/15 (hoping for our rainbow)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We're only at the 2 month mark here, but our LO does about 3 hours of nightly crying from about 3pm to 6 or 7pm. We avoided it last night, and so far so good today. (Side note: isn't colic defined as 3 hours of crying at least 3 days a week for 3 weeks or more? Yeah, we're there. Ugh).

It's just frustrating because it's so hard to figure out how to console him. SOmetimes he wants to be held, sometimes he wants to chill in his crib, sometimes swaddling helps, sometimes it doesn't.

People keep telling me they grow out of it around 12 weeks? Please tell me there is light at the end of this tunnel (and it's not an oncoming train!) 

Married November 2009 ~ Sam is here! (12/26/12)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • ah yes. Evening fussiness started around 6 weeks for us. She would get bad around 7-9pm-ish and then fall asleep for a very long time.

She is 12 weeks now and it has gotten a TON better but it still lingers randomly. 

She also has horrible gas problems even with good burps and farts. We started giving her the little tummies gas drops 3x a day to help with that and we found that her fussiness got a lot better after we started with them (doctor suggested it). We had to stop the vitamins because no matter what time we gave them to her she got bad stomach pains.

• Yep, battling it right now. Well, she wanted to eat but then got hysterical anytime my boob got by her mouth. So now she is sitting her smiling and cooing at me. But the problem is, she gets so upset if I try to feed her, that then she doesn't take a full feeding or it takes hours to total one feeding so it messes with the good night stretches we had going briefly. It started in the last couple weeks, I hope it ends soon. I tried nursing in the moby, nursing while walking, rocking, playing white noise. Nothing settles her. So tonight she is randomly happy so we will see what happens when her hunger flares back up, I hope she will eat, but I fear the hysterics will come back up. I also have noticed she spits up a lot this time of night, no matter when I give her reflux meds. Weird.
  • We have been dealing with this a bunch. Not every night, but many nights. It seems to be easing up a bit. Everything I read shows that this is a normal phase and will pass, likely just a product of an immature GI and nervous system. I remember going through it with ds and trying to eliminate foods, etc... and nothing helped except time. One day, it just magically went away! I assume the same will happen with dd too. Until then, hang in there!
    imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imageJacqui105:
    Yep, battling it right now. Well, she wanted to eat but then got hysterical anytime my boob got by her mouth. So now she is sitting her smiling and cooing at me. But the problem is, she gets so upset if I try to feed her, that then she doesn't take a full feeding or it takes hours to total one feeding so it messes with the good night stretches we had going briefly. It started in the last couple weeks, I hope it ends soon. I tried nursing in the moby, nursing while walking, rocking, playing white noise. Nothing settles her. So tonight she is randomly happy so we will see what happens when her hunger flares back up, I hope she will eat, but I fear the hysterics will come back up. I also have noticed she spits up a lot this time of night, no matter when I give her reflux meds. Weird.

I could have wrote this. Its better now that we do a bedtime bottle & I pump. DS also has reflux, he gets his meds at around 4-6pm whenever he wakes up from that nap before he nurses. Than he's up and happy for a while and starts getting cranky around 7 so we do bathtime and bedtime stuff and he goes out for the night around 8, we usually than get at least 6 hrs. All of that together and we have a much less fussy baby, but we had plenty of evenings where we were all exhausted from the crying, especially while trying to nurse him. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• imagegenmccarley:

imageJacqui105:
    Yep, battling it right now. Well, she wanted to eat but then got hysterical anytime my boob got by her mouth. So now she is sitting her smiling and cooing at me. But the problem is, she gets so upset if I try to feed her, that then she doesn't take a full feeding or it takes hours to total one feeding so it messes with the good night stretches we had going briefly. It started in the last couple weeks, I hope it ends soon. I tried nursing in the moby, nursing while walking, rocking, playing white noise. Nothing settles her. So tonight she is randomly happy so we will see what happens when her hunger flares back up, I hope she will eat, but I fear the hysterics will come back up. I also have noticed she spits up a lot this time of night, no matter when I give her reflux meds. Weird.

I could have wrote this. Its better now that we do a bedtime bottle & I pump. DS also has reflux, he gets his meds at around 4-6pm whenever he wakes up from that nap before he nurses. Than he's up and happy for a while and starts getting cranky around 7 so we do bathtime and bedtime stuff and he goes out for the night around 8, we usually than get at least 6 hrs. All of that together and we have a much less fussy baby, but we had plenty of evenings where we were all exhausted from the crying, especially while trying to nurse him. 

i have really wondered if a bottle might not get the same reaction. I might try it one night. 

• We have had it off and on in the evenings since he was about 6 weeks. It's like he is happy with one activity for 15 minutes and then he is upset. He has been a lot better this last week or so, so maybe (knock on wood) he starting to get out of it.
  • She's been fussy this whole time. I've been wondering about the vitamins as well. Hopefully it ends soon! I'm writing a post about this, and more, myself right now!
  • Yup. We're fussy until 1112pm. He followed EASY yesterday though and was less fussy, and fell asleep earlier. Hopefully it continues!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"