Special Needs

First IEP next week

Early On is coming to our house next week to do A's IEP.  They say they will be doing PT and OT and we will write down goals.  He is currently in outpatient PT (and she is trying to get him referred for OT eval also).  He is going to continue to do both, but she said that she will need a copy of the IEP so they don't duplicate goals. 

I guess I don't know how to go about deciding what goals will be worked on where?  He has been working with this therapist since Dec so I feel that she knows a bit better what goals she should work on... But this IEP is totally new to me so I don't really know what to expect.  Obviously I have no idea what having OT both places will look like either since we are new to that as well. 

Any ideas?  He has CP, torticollis, and some vision issues (cross eyed, farsighted and nystagmus).  He has come along way since december, but obviously still has a long way to go. Should I have one therapist focus on his hand/arm and the other focus on legs?  It definitely is hard in 30 min once a week to focus on anything so I definitely am looking forward to the extra help for him.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: First IEP next week

• It sounds like you'll be doing an IFSP vs IEP. DS2 (3.5 with CP and he also has vision issues and had torticolis) was in EI and also had private therapies at the same time. For me, I utilized EI more in regards to goals around the house and private therapy more in the way of function and to duplicate goals in EI (like learning to cruise). 

I found my son's IFSP from when he was 1yr old. Those PT goals were mainly sitting, cruising, crawling, and transition (ex: from the floor and pull to stand or get himself to a tall kneel and then back down to the floor).   OT goals were mainly pointing, grasping, pincer grasp, and crossing midline with his left hand.

Below are various things we have worked on over the years but some of them may not be appropriate for your child depending on what he can/can't do at this time.

For PT, I had them give me a stretching program, we worked on going down stairs (learning how to go down on his belly), cruising, EI was the one who was able to get DS2 his first pair of orthotics, we worked on sitting, standing, crawling, protective reflexes (catching himself when he falls), etc.

For OT, we worked on things like holding a pencil, scribbling, reaching, stretching out the hand (his were fisted a lot when he was little - he still fists now when he is feeling unstable), incorporating his left side, pincer grasp, pointing, crossing midline, etc.

• It sounds like you'll be doing an IFSP vs IEP. DS2 (3.5 with CP and he also has vision issues and had torticolis) was in EI and also had private therapies at the same time. For me, I utilized EI more in regards to goals around the house and private therapy more in the way of function and to duplicate goals in EI (like learning to cruise). 

I found my son's IFSP from when he was 1yr old. Those PT goals were mainly sitting, cruising, crawling, and transition (ex: from the floor and pull to stand or get himself to a tall kneel and then back down to the floor).   OT goals were mainly pointing, grasping, pincer grasp, and crossing midline with his left hand.

Below are various things we have worked on over the years but some of them may not be appropriate for your child depending on what he can/can't do at this time.

For PT, I had them give me a stretching program, we worked on going down stairs (learning how to go down on his belly), cruising, EI was the one who was able to get DS2 his first pair of orthotics, we worked on sitting, standing, crawling, protective reflexes (catching himself when he falls), etc.

For OT, we worked on things like holding a pencil, scribbling, reaching, stretching out the hand (his were fisted a lot when he was little - he still fists now when he is feeling unstable), incorporating his left side, pincer grasp, pointing, crossing midline, etc.

ETA: I usually asked each therapist to name one thing for me to work on over the week. This kept my "homework" to a reasonable level so I didn't feel overwhelmed. So one week I may have worked on cruising (PT), crossing midline (OT), saying a word or sound (speech), and learning how to hold a sippy cup with 2 hands (OT/feeding therapy).

• Loading the player...
  • Sorry for the near duplicate post. My computer is acting wonky and I can't delete the 1st reply.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"