April 2012 Moms

Bf moms

I am still ebf my 10 month old. I plan to stop at one year. I pump while at work and I am only getting enough for two six ounce bottles the last couple weeks and LO drinks three bottles while I'm at work. I have been using my frozen reserve and I am almost running out now and I can't keep up? Will milk come back? Any suggestions? I did get my af back around Xmas, could that have something to do with my decreased supply? Also when I am home with LO on fri sat and Sunday he only eats two times between 8 and 6....but at daycare he eats three times? How do I know if he is getting enough milk from me?
Baby Birthday  Ticker Ticker

Re: Bf moms

• At this point, I'm pretty sure you would know if your LO wasn't getting enough while nursing. If he's only nursing twice on weekends, you could add some pumping sessions to add to your stash. You could also try reducing the amount in the bottles for daycare to see if he really needs that much. Have you introduced water at all? Since we've added the sippy with water at lunch time, LO has been leaving a bottle left over at daycare. He was drinking out of thirst, not hunger.

AF absolutely can affect your supply, so you could try increasing your fluid intake, trying some sort of suppliment, oatmeal, etc. I just today supplimented a little WCM in a daycare bottle. I'm not sure how it went yet, because I'm still at work. My LO is also 11.5 months though.

Micah Leonard
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I'm only pumping 4-5 ounces a day in 2 sessions while at work, but LO is drinking 2 x 4 oz bottles at MIL's. My freezer stash should last until 12 months, at which point she's changing to day care (because we're moving) and they supply WCM in sippy cups.

My supply decreased with AF, when I tried switching to regular BC so I switched back to the mini pill, and just over time. I did buy a pack of mother's milk tea and that plus oatmeal seemed to help restore my supply when I was switching BCs.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Mine has continued to decrease.  I went from pumping 12..to 10...to 8...now I am only able to pump 6-7.  Because he is eating so many solids anyway, we decided it was time to introduce formula. Now, he nurses morning and night, and gets one breastmilk bottle and one formula bottle on daycare days.  But, since your LO is so close to a year and you still have some reserves, perhaps you could get away with more solids instead? Or, smaller bottles with a solid food snack? 
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I could have written this post, down to the ounce.  I have found that my extreme dip does correlate with my PMS.  Last month, it lasted about ten days.  Then my supply came back.  I found that it helped to replenish my freezer stash with an occasional extra pump session before bed or on the weekend mornings.  

He will let you know if he is hungry. 

• I've been having the exact same issue.  I asked his ped and a lactation consultant at the ped's office about it.  My LO is 10 and a half months, and at this age it is totally normal for their total daily breast milk intake to decrease, especially if they are eating more solids.  In fact, the ped said LO may be getting half of his caloric/other dietary needs from solids.  And, there's no need to give more fluids, e.g. water in a sippy, on weekends when he's less interested in nursing and I worry that he's not drinking as much as he does when he's at daycare.  I am struggling to get the 16 oz I currently put in bottles for daycare, but that's actually what bf babies need for an entire 24 hours at this age.  

The solution would be to decrease the amount in each bottle, and continue to nurse in the morning and at night.  But my in-laws, who watch LO two days a week, balked at the idea, and I'm worried that daycare would have a similar reaction.  (I actually had to bring in a dr.'s note to assure them that the amount of milk I was providing was totally sufficient, and LO was gaining weight, etc, perfectly on track, when they pressured me to bring in more.)  I think it's more of a comfort thing, but he apparently guzzles down those bottles.  So I bring my pump home from work and pump while LO is sleeping, and pump on the weekends when I can, to keep the stash up.  Mother's milk tea and oatmeal haven't helped me, personally.  If your situation allows, I would totally try to decrease the total amount you put in each bottle, at least on a trial basis.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"