Special Needs

Bleh. Semi-vent/boring post

I really want to go back to school.  But, everything that interests me is full time m-f. (nursing, radiography, sonography) I don't have any options for a part-time nursing program, even if I did they would probably be 4-10pm or 5-11pm something like that, and I don't have an H home to put the girls in bed (not that he could even if he was home).  He works 1pm-1am and leaves by 12pm and gets up around 11:30, so the amount of time we see him is verrry little considering he works 6 days on, 2 days off.

Our appointments are decreasing a little bit, which is leaving me with this bored feeling, however I still have to take/pick up P to pre-school 2 days/week (35mins away) and she has ballet 1 other night a week (50 mins away) then the other days they have a dr. appointment maybe 1/week and M is getting developmental therapy 1/month right now.  

I know if I was still crazy busy with dr's/therapy I wouldn't be thinking about school again, but it sucks not having a support system that makes it possible. And then I think, even if I did make it through, would I ever find a job that was flexible, or it would it be a waste of time & money.

Even picking up more work at my part-time job (1 day/month to stay on payroll) isn't really an option bc they make the schedule 4 weeks ish in advance, and would need the same availability every week which it changes, and work is in the opposite direction of everything else.

I wish their was an ideal career path for me.  I would even considering out of the medical field, even though it's all i've known as long as it was interesting to me.

I know once the girls start regular school I can try to figure something else out, but that will be in 3 & 4 years respectively for kindergarten.  And even then, what will I do where I am there to put them on the bus & get them off, I can't think of much!

/vent over!  

(does anyone know what I want to be when I grow up?  Because, I don't!)

DD1(4):VSD & PFO (Closed!), Prenatal stroke, Mild CP, Delayed pyloric opening/reflux, Brachycephaly & Plagiocephaly, Sacral lipoma, Tethered spinal cord, Compound heterozygous MTHFR, Neurogenic bladder, Urinary retention & dyssynergia, incomplete emptying, enlarged Bladder with Poor Muscle Tone, EDS-Type 3. Mito-Disorder has been mentioned

DD2(2.5): Late term premie due to PTL, low fluid & IUGR, Reflux, delayed visual maturation, compound heteroygous MTHFR, PFAPA, Bilateral kidney reflux, Transient hypogammaglobulinemia, EDS-Type 3

Re: Bleh. Semi-vent/boring post

• imageBrandi Bee:

I highly highly suggest getting your CNA.  If you really want to be a nurse and in the medical field, you'll like it.  It gives you a view of how things work and what patient care entails.  The certification isn't hard to get and it doesn't take long.  You can get a job at a hospital and give yourself time to get acclimated to that environment, get together a plan for childcare, etc.  A lot of community colleges that offer CNA certification also offer nursing programs.

It's what I did.  I honestly thought I couldn't handle nursing school or being a nurse and here I am, in third semester.  I graduate in December.  Being an aide has really really given me priceless perspective and opened me up to other opportunities.   And if you decide you'd rather not be a nurse, you still have a decent job.  Being an aide is really rewarding and pays okay.

I know I have pretty much zero desire to get my CNA.  And minimal desire to get my LPN.  I want to eventually be an NP if I were to go the nurse route & those things are just not beneficial to me.  I've worked in retail pharmacy for 11 years so I actually make more than LPN's do here.  I don't want to go backwards, is the main problem I guess.  I've worked in a hospital before too as a telemetry tech for a 2nd job so I knew alot of nurses, etc.

I just don't have many options for childcare, really.  Without being able to work full-time I couldn't afford child-care in our area, but still P doesn't qualify for busing to the special needs preschool so i'd have to take her.  I guess I need something extremely flexible.  I also really enjoy accounting/spreadsheets/billing stuff.  

I'm pretty sure I will always go back to wanting to do nursing.  

DD1(4):VSD & PFO (Closed!), Prenatal stroke, Mild CP, Delayed pyloric opening/reflux, Brachycephaly & Plagiocephaly, Sacral lipoma, Tethered spinal cord, Compound heterozygous MTHFR, Neurogenic bladder, Urinary retention & dyssynergia, incomplete emptying, enlarged Bladder with Poor Muscle Tone, EDS-Type 3. Mito-Disorder has been mentioned

DD2(2.5): Late term premie due to PTL, low fluid & IUGR, Reflux, delayed visual maturation, compound heteroygous MTHFR, PFAPA, Bilateral kidney reflux, Transient hypogammaglobulinemia, EDS-Type 3

• What about one of the Visiting Angels type jobs where you help out elderly needing rides to the doctor or with light household tasks?

WAY 2 Cool 4 School

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"