C-sections
Options

Spinal vs Epidural?

So I am scheduled for 2/28 due to complete previa and I'm starting to get really nervous. I have talked to 4 of my friends who all had planned sections for various reasons. Seems they all had epidurals and a few said they could feel the first cut and could feel the dr literally putting body parts back in after their LO was delivered. I sometimes wish people were not so honest. My dr told me its up to the anesthesiologist but she thinks I will have an epi in case I have a lot of bleeding due to the previa. The spinal only works for so many hours.
If anyone can share their c section with an epidural experience i would appreciate it.
TIA
Me:40 DH:40 AMH:.21 FSH: 10.9 2 failed IUIs on Clomid; 4 failed IUIs using Follistim; 1 cancelled IVF due to poor response; Switched REs in March 2012; Currently stimming for final IVF. Estrogen priming with microsode lupron; 6/25:8 retrieved,7 mature,5 fertilized with ICSI; 6/30: transferred 4. Beta #1 7/12:92.1 Beta #2 7/16: 528 Beta #3 7/18: 1,042 7/25/12: First ultrasound. 1 bean measuring 6 weeks 1 day Hb 116 BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Spinal vs Epidural?

• Options
    imageAnotherDreamer:
    My csection wasn't planned, so I already had an epidural placed. I don't know if they changed anything after they got me in there, it all happened so fast. Honestly, I didn't feel anything at all other than freezing I was soooo cold in the OR and the recovery room. But I didn't feel any cutting, or tugging, I didn't even feel any of the pressure people often describe. I was completely numb from the chest down.

Good to know!! Thanks
    Me:40 DH:40 AMH:.21 FSH: 10.9 2 failed IUIs on Clomid; 4 failed IUIs using Follistim; 1 cancelled IVF due to poor response; Switched REs in March 2012; Currently stimming for final IVF. Estrogen priming with microsode lupron; 6/25:8 retrieved,7 mature,5 fertilized with ICSI; 6/30: transferred 4. Beta #1 7/12:92.1 Beta #2 7/16: 528 Beta #3 7/18: 1,042 7/25/12: First ultrasound. 1 bean measuring 6 weeks 1 day Hb 116 BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    It's policy at my hospital to do a spinal for all scheduled c-sections. I've had all 4 with a spinal. 
    image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I had an unplanned C-section after a very long labor.  My epidural was already in place, but I had requested a "walking epidural" (lower dose) so I would be able to still move around during labor. 

When it became obvious that I was going to need a C-section, they increased the medication in the epidural.  They were careful to wait until my body felt numb -- I think they tested by putting ice on my abdomen and making sure I couldn't feel anything up to my chest area. 

I did not feel any pain during the procedure.  I think I might have felt some tugging, but it wasn't uncomfortable or disturbing.  I do remember feeling like the numbness was creeping up into my arms, neck, and face -- and that scared me.  I felt like I couldn't talk properly, and I remember after the surgery I was shivering a lot.  That scared me, too, because I didn't know that was normal.  All my doctors and nurses were great, but I did not like my anesthesiologist.  He was skillful, but he wasn't very reassuring when I expressed concerns about how I was reacting the anesthesia.  I ended up being fine, of course, but it would have been nice to know during the procedure that everything I was feeling was normal.

Good luck to you -- I hope you have a safe delivery, minimal bleeding, a healthy baby, and a quick recovery.  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    It was my understanding that they usually do a spinal for a scheduled CS unless they have some reason to think the surgery may be extended. I had a spinal with both, no issues the first time although I felt like I couldn't breathe about halfway through. This most recent one I started to get nauseous and told the doctor that whatever they were doing I didn't like it. They laughed and told me my uterus was on my stomach getting sewed up. So didnt need to hear that! But no pain and minimal feeling either time. I think it really depends on you and on the anestiologist. When my most recent one asked me if I had any questions I just asked him "you know what your doing right?" He made me a little nervous when he serenaded me with straight out of Compton before surgery but apparently he was good.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I had an epi with my first c-section.  I did not feel a thing.  I think it's more the exception rather than the norm. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Had a spinal. And holy hell I was numb up to my armpits. Its great but I got serious anxiety because I didnt like being able to not feel my body.
    "You and me together can do anything, baby!!" DMB
    Married October 16th, 2010
    TTC #1 since October 2010
    1st BFP 1-12-11
    MC'd 1-22-11
    2nd BFP 2-15-11
    Our Wee One....**KENNEDY JO** born 10/3/11@ 36weeks via Csection
    My BFP Chart
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Labor Buddy to **MRS.ATCH** Welcome Quinn 11-5-11**
  • Options

imageParis05:
    So I am scheduled for 2/28 due to complete previa and I'm starting to get really nervous. I have talked to 4 of my friends who all had planned sections for various reasons. Seems they all had epidurals and a few said they could feel the first cut and could feel the dr literally putting body parts back in after their LO was delivered. I sometimes wish people were not so honest. My dr told me its up to the anesthesiologist but she thinks I will have an epi in case I have a lot of bleeding due to the previa. The spinal only works for so many hours. If anyone can share their c section with an epidural experience i would appreciate it. TIA

I had an unplanned c-section and had a spinal. I felt no pain just a little pressure. Also, they DON"T take organs out of your body. I have watched a c-section in the past and the doctor moved things around inside but he did not remove anything.

Hope this helps. You will do great!

imageimageimage

• Options
    I've had an unplanned c section with epidural and it was great. They did turn it up.

I don't think it would make any difference for a planned c section. If you already have an epi you can turn it up. If not then a spinal works fine.

The difference is an epi is continuous, you could literally leave it in safely for 2 days according to a leading anesthesiologist. Whereas a spinal is a oneoff and you get about 40 mins coverage. Plenty of time for a c section.

They are placed in slightly different places so some people with health issues can have one but not the other I was told I should avoid a spinal but epi was fine, would not be relevant for most people,

Honestly the horror stories exist for both as they do for having no drugs at all or birthing by c section or vaginally. But they are very rare for anesthesia to have horror stories and it's usually human error so get a good anesthesiologist and youre good.
  • Options
    Also I know people get nervous if you haven't been in hospitals much or had surgery before. But honestly as surgery goes this is easy stuff. Don't be scared. I've had 45 major surgeries and my c section was much much less of an issue than even an appendectomy, let alone other surgery I've had. I was up and about 5 hours later and had less pain postnatally than when my son was born vaginally with 2 stitches! I mean it. I even forgot I had it and picked up my eldest on day 5 without thinking. Didn't feel a thing but rang the OB in a panic. She said no worries glad you had good pain relief!

Oh and I breastfed both children and both thrived if that helps.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"