Baby Showers
Options

Handmade Shower

My friend S is pregnant too and I received her shower invitation in the mail, very cute handmade Peter Pan. When I called to RSVP and get her registry information I asked her host where she was registered since it wasn't on there.

Her response "well S would like to continue with the made with love idea and asks that all gifts be handmade by the guests. Or cloth diapers" Hmm what? I sew but not for other people because I just started. I thought you ladies would love this one. I plan on going but I'm just buying a gift and if she doesn't like it she can donate it. Is it more tacky to ask for only handmade gifts or me buying something?

Re: Handmade Shower

• Options
    You have got to be kidding! I almost always give a handmade gift and this still would make me so angry!!Prettty presumptuous to think everyone would have the skills or time to do this. And what if someone stepped outside their comfort zone and made something only to be upstaged by a gift made by someone really talented???
    I hope she gets tons of those stupid fleece blankets that are knotted together.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    HA! I'd call back to change my RSVP and say (with LOTS of snark), "sorry, I'm not talented enough to make anything good enough for her and her baby. I guess I can't come." 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

To request only handmade gifts is crazy. I only know of about 2/3 people that make handmade gifts. Other than that, no. Many people don't have the skill or the time.

Get her a gift card.

ETA: My mind just won't wrap around this concept. Swing? High chair? Car seat? Is she hoping to have those handmade as well?

• Options

Maybe you can buy something hand-made? That's what I would do. 

I think a knit hat and mittens, a crocheted blanket, or the cloth diapers would be easily obtained if you felt so inclined.  

You asked what she wanted - the host told you, she wants hand-made gifts and cloth diapers. It is a preference not a mandate (just like registries).  

Anniversary
    When you've been married this long, you need a ticker to remind you.

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013 

Expecting Baby Bean February 2017
  • Options
    imageOctGirl80:

To request only handmade gifts is crazy. I only know of about 2/3 people that make handmade gifts. Other than that, no. Many people don't have the skill or the time.

Get her a gift card.

ETA: My mind just won't wrap around this concept. Swing? High chair? Car seat? Is she hoping to have those handmade as well?

Her crib and high chair were built by her dad. Other big ticket items they already bought. She made her own sheets. I will admit my friend has some mad crafting skills.

• Options

I can think of a lot of things that cannot be handmade...breast pump, thermometer, monitor, bathtub, etc.  Perhaps she has already purchased these and if so...shame on her.  It was ok for HER to purchase them but not her guests...they are REQUIRED to make their gift.  I think I'd be finding a reason I could not make it to that shower.  I'm with you OP...I sew but only for my family.  Since she seems to be so talented...maybe just buy her a bunch of scrapbooking things (baby related of course) and give those along with a scrapbook...if you really want to go.  That way she can use her crafting skills.

BTW...I think this is extremely rude.  I also wonder why isn't she making her own cloth diapers?

• Options

Wow! This is at the other spectrum of 'telling your guests what to do', no giftcards this time, but handmade items. You can't tell your guests what to buy or that they have to make you things, that's really inconsiderate.

I'd buy her something, I agree with pps suggestions and would try to buy something handmade. However, you don't have to, the 'handmade item'-thing should have been a suggestion and without a registry anything goes.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    She can ask but it is NOT tacky to not do it. It's a gift from you to her and if that's not your thing, it's not your thing. And she needs to respect that.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options

That is super tacky. 

I would check etsy for something, otherwise, just buy her a CD or 2.  

• Options
    imageAliciaS1411:
    HA! I'd call back to change my RSVP and say with LOTS of snark, "sorry, I'm not talented enough to make anything good enough for her and her baby. I guess I can't come."nbsp;

Love that!!
    LovedBy2
  • Options
    I guess that's one baby shower I wouldn't be able to attend!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

<3 Mama to 2 girls - H&I <3
  • Options
    I love the knotted fleece blanket idea, hahahaha.
  • Options

Oh for frig's sake.

That's so annoying. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options

That's tacky!  I work in finance and I have absolutely no creative talents or interest in making baby gifts, let alone the time to dedicate to this sort of project.  I'd probably just buy her something from Etsy that was handmade by someone else.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I would get the most generic, store-bought item I could find... but I'm b!tchy like that.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• Options

What a presumptuous thing to do. I think this is even more tacky than requesting gift cards - at least a gift card purchase doesn't request hours of your time! 

I'd definitely find a way to not go to this baby shower.  

12/19/2012 BFP! 
    EDD 08/26/2013 
    Our little girl arrived 8/22/2013!

• Options

I hope she likes fingerpainting.

My crafting abilities are stuck at a 4th grade level. There's no way that I'm going to be making anything for a baby, or paying top dollar to buy anything for a baby that someone else handmade (that stuff is EXPENSIVE).

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I'm crafty, and I love making stuff.  But, I'm sorry, I want my handmade effort to be recognized as a unique gift of my love, creativity, time, and skill -- not a command performance.

I would be so appalled by this that I would seriously consider having prior plans that couldn't be missed.

If this was a close, close friend whose shower I could not in good faith miss, and I could not make something, I'd give the g.d. cloth diapers.

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Options
    This just reminds me of when I told my friend I would make her sister hats for her twins. Instead of her sister being excited and saying ok, she said "I actually want blankets!" So then I felt obligated to make her babies blankets. The boy one is done, and it's adorable, but now that I'm pregnant I'm having the hardest time getting motivated to finish the girl blanket. I was so shocked when she said that. I can finish a hat in a couple hours. Between school and work, crocheting a blanket takes me a couple months. Obviously I'm still a little bitter.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"